• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

Leopard said:
hey, i must say TP Cyclones are very very easy to come by in austin used bins...can't just be us, right?

Yes, it could. I don't know. All I know for sure is that it isn't in our used bins. And I love perusing the used bins. Of course, it might be that there are guys around here who snatch these things up the second they appear, so I never have a chance to stumble upon one in a used bin. Either way, Discraft isn't making them any longer.

Working Stiff said:
Oh, wait...am I a jerk? :p

No, you're the usual TP jerk. Jesse was just standing in for you, in the meantime. Good to see you re-claim your status as the king TP Cyclone jerk! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leopard said:
hey, i must say TP Cyclones are very very easy to come by in austin used bins. i've bought plenty of them, to the point where nice ones come through and i don't stash them at all. probably 3-6 in the bin right now.

can't just be us, right?
I just started collecting discs roughly 1.5 years ago, and I've seen tons of TP Cyclones. I rarely purposefully buy them, usually they just fall into my possession on accident when I buy out a collection or something. I haven't seen a lot of them this year, but last year our PIAS was getting them in all the time (though mostly with tourney stamps). I'm w/you Leopard, I didn't realize they were so uncommon?

I'm not too interested in the TPs for several reasons:
I prefer durable discs...I'm not sure a TP would be as good in the overstable slot as a fresh ESP, and I'm sure it wouldn't stay there as long. Also, it's OOP...I can get all the ESPs I want, but I'm not sure my sponsorship gets me into the collector's bins.

Mr. Plow said:
Leopard said:
hey, i must say TP Cyclones are very very easy to come by in austin used bins. i've bought plenty of them, to the point where nice ones come through and i don't stash them at all. probably 3-6 in the bin right now.

can't just be us, right?
I just started collecting discs roughly 1.5 years ago, and I've seen tons of TP Cyclones. I rarely purposefully buy them, usually they just fall into my possession on accident when I buy out a collection or something. I haven't seen a lot of them this year, but last year our PIAS was getting them in all the time (though mostly with tourney stamps). I'm w/you Leopard, I didn't realize they were so uncommon?
It's like anything else. The Cyclone was Discraft's best selling disc in the 90's, so there were a bunch of runs and still a bunch of them out there. It's like finding a big bead grid stamped Aviar; if you like Aviars you think "cool" but you shouldn't drop a lot of change on one because it surely isn't the last time you are going to run into one.

discspeed said:
I'm not too interested in the TPs for several reasons:
I prefer durable discs...I'm not sure a TP would be as good in the overstable slot as a fresh ESP, and I'm sure it wouldn't stay there as long. Also, it's OOP...I can get all the ESPs I want, but I'm not sure my sponsorship gets me into the collector's bins.
I'm sure you are right about that. For you the TP wouldn't be what you want. You would have to look for the dark green overstable TP's, and even at that they wouldn't stay that overstable for as long.

Alright, for those interested here is our current inventory. I weighed all discs and they are all +/- 1 gram of what they are marked. Also we have a Discraft order on it's way and I'm told there are Cyclones in it...I'll post the additional discs when I see them.

This is our entire current inventory:
3-168g, bright green, domey, and stiff
6-172-173g, light green, domey, stiff around the rim, softer in the middle (this is basically the run I've been throwing)
3-173g, bright orange, flat (but not totally), super stiff
1-164g, bright orange, totally flat, stiff
4-167-168g, white (one dyed), flat, stiff
1-174g, teal, flat, stiff

I've got several people interested, the fastest way to get them is to call toll free 1-888-445-2810 and tell Wendy. If you PM me back I will call them in, but it will be first come first serve...

BrotherDave said:
Would the speed gap b/w Fuses/Nebs and Eagles be too small to add ESP Cyclones? I might get one anyway just b/c a slower driver might be more beneficial to me since I'm not playing as often as I'd like.
Yes the gap will be too small, so I'd simply use the Cyclone for all of that :wink: Get rid of those others (that's what I've done)

Leopard said:

can't just be us, right?

last year or so when I went TP crazy I had no trouble finding nice ones in the used bins in the Raleigh/Durham area. Down here in Greenville/Spartanburg it's pretty slim pickins in the used bins here. It's slim pickins period. but thankfully Charlotte is just a short drive up 85.

Frank Delicious said:
I was happy with the ESP cyclone but it wasn't good enough to beat out eagles.

what makes you prefer the Eagles? I'm happy with my cyclones but haven't thrown Eagles since I could break 250' so I've thought about giving them another try since I can actually make them fly now.

I've heard it over and over again that Gazelles and Cyclones fly almost identically. With the C maybe turning a tad more and fading harder than a new DX Gaz. True? The reason i ask is that TP Cyclones are reported to be much glidier and later fading than ESP. I don't know if mine or off but they flip lots and i don't need any hyzer for a flat throw at full power with my Gaz. The real question for me is how long is the ESP cyclone vs a DX GAzelle when new and how the HSS and LSS differs. I'm so at home with a Leo and like Stalkers too and PDs are fine so there's a crowd and i lack the motivation to try an ESP Cyclone. No qualms with the Gaz other than the plastic and general unavailability of primo plastic and reportedly some of the primos at premium prices are way more HSS. I already have an FLX XL for short straight then hard fade flight. Well it's not a line i crave but need the grip for a short disc for the upcoming winter. And i hadn't thrown any XLs so i got one not like it's in the regular bag.

A lot of this cyclone talk is making me want to try a couple. I might go pick up a X and ESP this weekend - I'm fairly sure that I can make it work right away, even though I normally don't change things up right before a big tournament (Missouri's North Central Region Championship tomorrow)

victorb said:
A lot of this cyclone talk is making me want to try a couple. I might go pick up a X and ESP this weekend - I'm fairly sure that I can make it work right away, even though I normally don't change things up right before a big tournament (Missouri's North Central Region Championship tomorrow)

I bow to the knowledge of cyclone throwers. Picked up a 170 ESP and a 176 X yesterday and threw them a lot today.

Most versatile disc I've thrown, other than a roc. Easy hyzer flip to flat, and locks nicely on different lines. Multi directional flights are easier with the cyclone than the stalker. Did I say they are very workable yet?

I kind of feel bad for not throwing them before now.

victorb said:
I kind of feel bad for not throwing them before now.

Good to hear...we need more of us to keep evangelizing this fantastic disc. I have yet to hear of any really negative experiences with one of these.

I've been playing mostly on an open course lately to practice for an upcoming tourney, and unfortunately the Cyclone doesn't have much use there. However, today I went to one of my other two "home" courses and parked 4/5 of my drives with my ESP Cyclone. I'm still loving this disc and I'm looking forward to beating some HSS out of it because it's still too stable for a couple of lines that I know it is going to excel at. I'm still astounded at how natural this disc feels out of my hand and how short the learning curve has been for me.

booter said:
mike. Lmk when yall get some more clones in,id like some domey ones but hopefully there will be some in other brighter colors.

No problem. We ordered them last Weds, so they should be in soon.

Latest posts