• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

Timko said:
Man Discspeed, you're making me want to put this back in my bag. I had clones in my bag for about 9 months, but took it out when I went to a smaller bag. Perhaps when Grip gets their bag finished, I may check one out again.

All of the things you said reminded me why I liked this disc so much.

I really liked the idea of having nothing between Buzzzes and PDs...and on some days I did quite well. However, on 3 of the 4 courses I play monthly there seem to be a ridiculous # of holes in the 330'-350' range where I always had to decide between crushing my Buzzz and fluffing my PDs...I got an ace with a PD on one of these, but you can see that potentially I was missing birdies when I didn't ace and went by. The P-PD often worked well on 2nd drives, but honestly I can't think of a single hole I played regularly in which it was my go to disc. When I went to MI this summer and played some new courses, I never reached for the P-PD...I just never really trusted the disc, I just liked the idea of minimalism. The Cyclone has made those shots where I was crushing my Buzzz so much easier, and are probably encouraging a more accurate throw by letting me slow down and focus on my hit.

The bottom line is I don't add discs to my bag that don't produce results immediately...I don't have time to learn entirely new discs right now. The Cyclone throws like an old friend. I throw it just as I would throw a Buzzz to fly 300', only for those shots that are 330'-350'. When I need a little more it's a seamless transition to my PD, which I then throw exactly the same. My S-PDs are easy to manipulate in the exact same way as the Cyclone. Even though they are not flippy, they are not too stable to hold a micro-angle of release and come out at the end like clockwork.

I imagine eventually I'll carry a fairly beat Cyclone and a fairly new one. Now I need to try and help our store sell some of these lighter weights so that we'll eventually get to order more. Like I said, they are pretty skeptical because we have only sold one or two online since we got them in, and no one has come in and bought one. We've got several from 171-173g that are the same badass run as mine, just a little lighter than I prefer. They are bright green (like the LE ESP Comets), stiff with some give in the flightplate, and have nice even domes. Someone help a brother out and buy some! We've also got some other ones in other colors that are flat and weight from the high 160s-173.

I really liked the idea of having nothing between Buzzzes and PDs...and on some days I did quite well. However, on 3 of the 4 courses I play monthly there seem to be a ridiculous # of holes in the 330'-350' range where I always had to decide between crushing my Buzzz and fluffing my PDs...I got an ace with a PD on one of these, but you can see that potentially I was missing birdies when I didn't ace and went by. The P-PD often worked well on 2nd drives, but honestly I can't think of a single hole I played regularly in which it was my go to disc. When I went to MI this summer and played some new courses, I never reached for the P-PD...I just never really trusted the disc, I just liked the idea of minimalism. The Cyclone has made those shots where I was crushing my Buzzz so much easier, and are probably encouraging a more accurate throw by letting me slow down and focus on my hit.

This is the reason that I wanted something to fill the gap between my Comet and PD. There's less guess work having a slower fairway driver in the bag like the cyclone. I think the cyclone is good from 300-350. From 350+ I'm throwing my PD.

Don't forget to try working it on high altitude mid-range turn-over shot lines as well...it is pretty awesome. That's how I hit my Cyclone ace at DeLaveaga.

discspeed said:
Someone help a brother out and buy some! We've also got some other ones in other colors that are flat and weight from the high 160s-173.

I've never bought anything from your store, so I'll probably order some next week since you can pre-screen (my club store doesn't carry much Discraft variety, only the Nate Doss Avenger and such). Also, I need to try out a domey ESP Cyclone, mine have all been very flat on top.

I made life complicated for myself doing the same thing discspeed does with Cyclones between a Buzzz and a PD in field practice with a Champ Leopard 175. That thing is laser straight except for the minimal very late fade thrown with only a couple of degrees of hyzer just the same angle i use with Wizards on higher lines. Usually nutting it low had skips in the end and the disc landed at 350-353' and on higher lines or ones that i put too much hyzer on landed 10-20' short and the best snap landed after straight forward skips at 360'. These were with less than full speed run up and fewer steps than i normally take for max D effort. Not approach form but close. I bet it'd work great with just x steps but i was too excited to get anything working on that off day. Those were the shots that weren't off because those came at the end of the session where my arm started to warm up.

Futzing with the modified Bratten/trigger pull grip helped me and i got some snap at the end of the arm pull. That Leopard grips easier for me than my Stalker which has been the go to disc for under PD full power throws when not wanting or been able to nut a Buzzz. I don't know if it was the easy feeling of the relaxed muscles and snapping in the end that increased the HSS in the flight pattern of that Leo but it felt less likely to flip than the Stalker on forceful throws. That's nice but i need to do a shootout between those in the field and on the courses. Didi i mention i love and need lasered shots on the courses we have here? Leopard delivers and now that my form is better i can trust it more. The winds weren't bad so fall storms may make life interesting. The QOLS i have needs another look as well especially for added wind resistance with that grip and form. Interesting times but there's so much work to be done that i'm not getting much throwing time :-( And there's a little snow on the ground at some places already so the conditions aren't great. Even more reason to get a low power requirement laser disc with some wind handling going :) To get back on topic i don't think i have healthy Cyclones (TPs that flipped too much for me when i last tried them) but with the changes i've had in form i might be able to give mine a go. The same goes for Cheetahs and Gazelles. Goody :)

JR--You need to try an ESP Cyclone...Sounds like they may not glide quite as magically as the TPs, but there are many upsides (durability, stability, wind resistance).

JHern said:
I've never bought anything from your store, so I'll probably order some next week since you can pre-screen (my club store doesn't carry much Discraft variety, only the Nate Doss Avenger and such). Also, I need to try out a domey ESP Cyclone, mine have all been very flat on top.

I'm going to the store tomorrow because I've already got a couple Cyclone requests. I will pretty much do an inventory of weights/stiffnesses/domes and post it here tomorrow.

BTW...One of my best shots today got me my first birdie on hole 16 long @ Taylor Park.

dea7a648.jpg

It's 336' and that map is fairly accurate...I released it with just a hint of anny and it went straight out of my hand, leaned to the right just a bit, and then looked like it faded early...I got up there and I was pin high and only 20' to the right. I nailed the putt with a smile on my face. I couldn't get my P-PDs to do gently S turns like that, and I had to throw them harder.

This goes to show you how much influence discspeed has on what people on this board throw and buy. I've been throwing these and loving them for like 10 months, and always recommend them when people ask for a new workhorse fairway driver, and now suddenly they are the hot shit and everyone's buying them again. I'm not saying anything negative here, just to be clear, but I find it a little bit funny.

Some peoples' opinion carries more weight than others'. Not sayin' that's how it should be.
On a related note....
I wonder if Wizards would be selling as well if it hadn't been for Blake and some of the other members of this board.
And I have a feeling Comets are seeing a small revival because of this board.

Discspeed:
have you tried that same shot with the River? How high is the ceiling?

Ryan C said:
This goes to show you how much influence discspeed has on what people on this board throw and buy. I've been throwing these and loving them for like 10 months, and always recommend them when people ask for a new workhorse fairway driver, and now suddenly they are the hot shit and everyone's buying them again. I'm not saying anything negative here, just to be clear, but I find it a little bit funny.

Maybe I should run for public office..."My name is Discspeed, and I approve this message". :lol: Seriously, who knows man...I just love throwing discs and talking about it.

marmoset said:
Discspeed:
have you tried that same shot with the River? How high is the ceiling?

I've only thrown 1 River, and it's quite a bit less stable than my Cyclone. I have thrown a decent drive with the River on that hole, but it got pimped by one of the numerous pine trees. I must say though, the River has more action in it's S turn than the Cyclone. It's kind of like comparing a seasoned Star/Champ EX(Cyclone) with a TL (River)...They both turn and then fade...the EX is more predictable, but the TL is more dynamic. To me the River flies like an L bottomed disc due to the way it turns and comes back and seems to get lift while doing so, adding distance and a forward finish while sacrificing some predictability. My River is much more hit or miss. I'm going to be testing some different Rivers when we get them in and I'll be able to make a more accurate comparison.

Edit*: I forgot to answer the second part of your question...The ceiling is fairly unlimited since the hole is mostly vertical pine trees.

new flavor of the week for Mike folks, step right up and get some! :p
the ESP's are OK but IMO dont fly all that much like a real cyclone (TP......or even a good X) although ive never beaten one in....

Jesse B 707 said:
the ESP's are OK but IMO dont fly all that much like a real cyclone (TP......or even a good X) although ive never beaten one in....

I don't remember ever throwing any of the other Cyclones (though I'm sure I tossed a Z once or twice), but I really like these ESPs. I went on a FW driver kick a year ago, and I threw a lot of Polaris' and the Stalkers, and honestly those sucked compared to these. I do look forward to getting one beat in.

I know you're just giving me some shit, but you have to admit my bag has stayed pretty stable this year.

Monocacy said:
x-out said:
BTW i haven't heard too much about glow champ or champ gazelles all that much. i'm guessing they are a bit more stable and more fade than DX.
I have two 157 glow champ Gazelles with a Japan Open stamp. They are more-or-less interchangeable with Champ Banshees of the same weight. Totally different disc than in DX.

I have no idea if all glow Champ Gazelles are that beefy.

I have two x-out Champ Glows (I don't think they were from the Japan Open set, I believe it was some Carolina tourney, but it might be the same run) that I think are max weight and they're quite close to a new DX Gazelle (though not the recent shitty DX run with the flight numbers). Probably a bit more stable but I may be wrong since I always seem to be surprised at how stable a new DX Gazelle is when I throw it. Thrown flat into a moderate headwind they turn slightly and hold the straightish line for a long ways before coming back at the end on shots that go 270-290.

discspeed said:
Jesse B 707 said:

I don't remember ever throwing any of the other Cyclones (though I'm sure I tossed a Z once or twice), but I really like these ESPs. I went on a FW driver kick a year ago, and I threw a lot of Polaris' and the Stalkers, and honestly those sucked compared to these. I do look forward to getting one beat in.

I know you're just giving me some shit, but you have to admit my bag has stayed pretty stable this year.
Its all good I change discs and tout their awesomeness almost as much as you.
Doesn't clearwater still have a bunch of tp's laying around? They did forever....get you some

Anyways, my wife and I have been throwing ESP Cyclones for over a year...so we beat all y'all. And it is listed as my favorite disc, so I think I win the Cyclone-love fest here. :lol:

Jesse B 707 said:

Those are antiques, OOP, you can only buy them on ebay (maybe), and never at a proper disc store. But nobody can ever discuss Cyclones in a thread without some jerk popping up and saying TP this or TP that. This time its Jesse... :lol:

Just thought I'd share a picture of my next Cyclone to come out of storage and into my bag:

015-1.jpg

Oh, wait...am I a jerk? :p

I had a guy offer me one of the many cactus stamped cyclones he had for that cryz flex challenger i just found in the used bin and a stiff (not soft) X Challenger. I opted for a ESP Comet and ESP cyclone instead. I am excited. I have been an Ex-cyclone guy a while (favored the XL in my old bag) but am starting to think the cyclone would fit my new bag more, I am so excited they finally came out in esp (I was gone a while remember).

hey, i must say TP Cyclones are very very easy to come by in austin used bins. i've bought plenty of them, to the point where nice ones come through and i don't stash them at all. probably 3-6 in the bin right now.

can't just be us, right?

Would the speed gap b/w Fuses/Nebs and Eagles be too small to add ESP Cyclones? I might get one anyway just b/c a slower driver might be more beneficial to me since I'm not playing as often as I'd like.

Latest posts