• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

I've recently met so many older players who keep saying, "oh yeah, the Cyclone, I used to throw those..." and then kind of laugh about it as if the presence of the disc on the course alone was a humorous kind of anachronism. Each time I found myself defensive, saying "this disc is still the most versatile fairway driver on the market, and it flies sweet in the premium plastic blends..." I told them about how I abandoned my bag for a while and only threw a nicely broken-in ESP Cyclone and Pro D Challenger, and was playing some of the best golf of my life. They were maybe mildly impressed by what I had to say, but not sure I convinced them it was worth throwing in the modern day.

Anyone else find some older players laughing off the newer Cyclones?

anyone have a lead on black ESP cyclones? I got a buddy that would give up some unspeakable body parts for one.

Spike said:
JHern said:
Anyone else find some older players laughing off the newer Cyclones?
Yes!!

I have as well. The guys that own CDGS view it as an antiquity. They also have been playing with Frisbees so long that they don't really buy into the idea of FWY drivers in their own games at all. They can also make Roadrunners fly on any line they want from 280'-350'...

The guy who introduced me to Cyclones 15 years ago lol'ed at me this summer for still having them in my bag.

Most of my old disc golfing buddies throw mids with no fairway drivers. Most of the newer guys I play rounds with throw fairway drivers but no mids. It's not exactly a scientific sample, but it is what I have observed.

discspeed said:
I have as well. The guys that own CDGS view it as an antiquity. They also have been playing with Frisbees so long that they don't really buy into the idea of FWY drivers in their own games at all.

Yeah, I guess many older players were glad to see other discs become available so that they didn't have to use the Cyclone any longer. But I'm happy to see the new Cyclones since they are a unique flying disc with a grippable rim.

discspeed said:
They can also make Roadrunners fly on any line they want from 280'-350'...

Roadrunner is a great max distance turnover or hyzer flip driver, but I don't think it will do 4- or 5-directional shots like a Cyclone. And the Cyclone works very well from 250'-400' from what I've seen.

I hit an ace with my ESP Cyclone this week, #15 at DeLaveaga (RHBH flex shot, exploded the chains in the air)...

...go Cyclones!

Back to the previous discussion, I've been having a lot of thoughts about the Cyclone vs. newer molds. Really, the newer molds were never designed to be as versatile as the Cyclone, they are mostly meant to do 1 thing really well. Thus we've evolved the concept of "slots" in the bag, with a set of molds designed to carry out each specific duty and task for those slots. The Cyclone can perform jobs that cover many slots, but can also fly great on lines that almost nobody ever even tries to throw (perhaps because they can choose something like an overhand shot instead).

Picked up a 174g ESP Cyclone (Orange flat top, stiffer ESP blend) in a trade and I'm really liking it. First throw was about 380' released with a touch of hyzer, sat up a flew flat then had a nice fade at the end. Really like it. Not sure how many shots I'll find where I want to use it as opposed to reaching for a Buzz or OLF, but I'm going to carry it for a while and see what happens.

The cyclone will really shine compared to the Buzz or OLF when it comes to working lines. Buzzz's just have that tendency to keep going straight, and you will be able to get more lateral travel out of the cyclone than you can out of an OLF. Have fun with it. :)

kern9787 said:
The cyclone will really shine compared to the Buzz or OLF when it comes to working lines. Buzzz's just have that tendency to keep going straight, and you will be able to get more lateral travel out of the cyclone than you can out of an OLF. Have fun with it. :)

Agreed. Also, try the Cyclone out on high anhyzer lines, that's where it really shines. OLF and Buzzz will not flex out...the Cyclone will.

Well, I'm a little late to the party, but today I picked up an ESP Cyclone to test out. We haven't gotten anything new or interesting in for a while and I was bored. Lately I've heard some talk again about these, so I decided that I'd pick one up.

I grabbed a green, stiff, and domey 175. I didn't have real high expectations since I haven't really been using slow drivers since I dropped the Stalker, and I figured that at best it would be a lot like the Stalker. After throwing it some on the course today, I must say I was pretty impressed.

I was surprised by it's HSS...I always viewed the Cyclone as a flippy disc. When I threw mine really hard it straightened and didn't really come back, but with any hyzer it always faded. I didn't get to test it much due to the course I was playing, but the thing I was most impressed with was it's ability to hold a long, gradual, hyzer all the way shot. I don't really have this shot in my bag right now. I also was impressed by how much forward glide it got while on a hyzer or anhyzer. It really reminded me of a mini PD, and that is something I'm very interested in. The final surprise that the ESP clone had in store for me was that it actually did fly quite a bit farther, quite a bit easier than my Buzzz. On the couple of holes where I really nut on the Buzzz, the Clone did the job better and easier. Hole "A" at Cliff Stephens is basically an island hole, wide open and surrounded on all sides by water with one little strip of land to walk out on. It is probably about 330-340', a really tweener distance no matter how you look at it. It is also manufactured, so it has spots of gravel in front and to the right of the basket, so if you throw a fast hyzer it can skip big into the water. You kind of throw out of a tunnel, so there are limits to how wide a hyzer you can take. The wider you go at it, the more time your disc spends over water and subject to strange air currents that can lift you up or drop you right out of the air. The pad is a short rubber mat on an uneven surface, so a fast/powerful runup is not possible. Anyway, I usually throw a strong Buzzz shot, but unfortunately I threw my favorite Buzzz in the water there a month ago, and I've not gotten it back. It straightened out a little on me and went too far. So my other option is a C-PD hyzer, but I often don't get enough power on this shot and end up short. I did a nice gradual hyzer with the Clone that looked like it faded too much and would be short. When I got up there it was pin high about 20' to the right of the basket. I threw it very smoothly. I couldn't have done this with anything else in my bag...My S-PD could go long VERY easy, and anything else requires too hard of a throw.

Anyway, the ESP Clone maybe a keeper for me. I think it's going to be more versatile than my River, but I've got to get some more stable Rivers to compare, and I also need to throw the Clone more on different lines. It's definitely a good disc.

The PD/Cyclone setup is great. I think they compliment each other very well.

I also need to throw the Clone more on different lines.

It's definitely one of the most versatile discs out there when shaping lines.

I've been saying it, the ESP Cyclone is a sweet disc. Definitely took Rivers out of the bag for me.

cyclone lovers check this out, someone here might not want to miss this. I'm not a thrower of them myself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DISC-GOLF-19-USED-OLD-SCHOOL-DISCRAFT-CYCLONE-/260680834750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb1c9debe

http://cgi.ebay.com/DISC-GOLF-17-USED-OLD-SCHOOL-DISCRAFT-CYCLONE-/260680830425?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb1c9cdd9

discspeed said:
Anyway, the ESP Clone maybe a keeper for me. I think it's going to be more versatile than my River, but I've got to get some more stable Rivers to compare, and I also need to throw the Clone more on different lines. It's definitely a good disc.

Keep using it, that disc will keep growing on you, for sure. As it beats in, you'll find that it will also work on really long anhyzer lines too. Also, try to pick up a flat-top ESP Cyclone (which is what I throw), even if it isn't in max weight I think you'll also enjoy throwing it.

It's time for me to pick up a new ESP Cyclone, my present disc is getting too beat up to flex out (but it is still less squirrely/flippy than a Stalker). The last several times I threw it on hole 27 at DeLaveaga it was fighting back with fade less and less, until today when it stuck on a slow right turn and kept going (into a tree). I'm going to start a 2-cyclone rotation...these discs will comprise the core of my bag for a long time to come.

Yeah, the River kind of opened the door for a slower driver to enter back into my bag...The thing about the River I have though is that I'll have a good throw, and then a fail. I didn't have a fail with the Cyclone...Only shots that did exactly what I wanted, and shots that didn't look as nice, but still had a pretty good result. This was especially the case when I threw with too much hyzer...The River behaves like a much more stable disc, where the Cyclone pushes forward more.

I probably won't be able to get a decent flat Cyclone...We have not sold hardly ANY from the store since they came out a year ago, and most of ours are light for my tastes (especially for a slow, big diameter disc). There are 2/3 more exactly like the one I have, and they are the only heavies of the bunch. I think I'm just going to take those so it's not like I'm learning 2 different discs to add to my bag. As long as they don't lose their hyzer holding ability in the first month. In my experience with slower discs in general, the domey discs, while being easier to turn, also hold their comeback ability longer than flats.

I just grabbed my ESP Clone, and I wouldn't exactly call it domey. All the rest were totally flat, so in comparison it seemed so, but actually it's just got a perfect dome, nice and gradually sloping up to the circle stamp and flat across the top.

i just looked at the pdga specs for the Gazelle and Cyclone. these discs are nearly identical in every area and i'm sure that is why this is the, "home for wayward gazelle throwers".

are both discs that similar in feel and flight? could you just trade out one for the other and not really notice a difference?

x-out said:
i just looked at the pdga specs for the Gazelle and Cyclone. these discs are nearly identical in every area and i'm sure that is why this is the, "home for wayward gazelle throwers".

are both discs that similar in feel and flight? could you just trade out one for the other and not really notice a difference?

Correct. There was a time that the gazelle was on the OOP chopping block so everyone was switching over to clones.

discspeed said:
thing about the River I have though is that I'll have a good throw, and then a fail.
Yes, I have had some of my best and worst throws with the River (not what I'm looking for in a control driver). For me, Cyclones and Gazelles provide much better control.

x-out said:
Feel: Cyclone has a more prominent bead c/w Gazelle.

Flight: For my noodle arm, I found Gazelles and Cyclones to be similar rather than interchangeable. Once worn in, DX Gazelles are considerably longer (often landing close to my Valkyries) and exhibit a slight but noticeable turn and mild fade. In contrast, ESP and X Cyclones are shorter and fade harder. I do prefer Cyclones for forehand, probably because of the additional stability.

Sounds like some of the differences that I see may wash out for you big-arm folk.

Latest posts