• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

Since converting to mold minimalism (Magnet, Comet, Cyclone, Wildcat) I have bought multiple weights, plastics and dome/plh configurations to attain various stability. This way I only have to know and feel 4 rims, all of them feeling very similar. It is working great! Anyway, I ordered a 144 Cyclone from discgolfstore.com to get a super flippy fairway as well as a low power woods fairway. The 144 clone has a different rim than my 168 (both in x) clone. The ramp up to the bead is much more steep. The nose is the same so it's not the crappy mold some esp is in. Anyone seen this before? Is it to make it not so flippy because of the weight? If that's so it could be good and bad. Good because it could be a low power driver acting like my 168, but bad because it may not flip like I want....Hope to throw it tomorrow and see.

168 Clone on left, 144 Clone on right
6b0ed29d.jpg

Oh yes the Cyclone. One of my favorite discs.

The other day I seen the Z plastic which I do know is hard to come by. Are they worth getting by any chance? I've always just thrown X's,Pro D's and ESP's.

If I remember correctly the Z plastic is a meathook? Would I just be better off not getting it or do you think it would be vital for my bag. I have a worn in Trident that is pretty good and fills my tweener/mid overstable slot very well. not sure if they would be overlap.

Psst! He's not going to answer, that was from 18 months ago.

I've thrown X and Pro D, and have bagged both in the past. Good fairway driver. Double beaded rim a little uncomfortable though.

Very overstable Z's would almost have to be glideless flat-topped versions, like the newer Z XS, Z Flash, etc.

BTW, my current fairway drivers are Z Avenger SS for straight and anhyzer. And champ Teebird for fade, hyzer and headwind.

UncleBrother, I like your bag setup per your sig. Functional and minimalist. But what are you using as an OS mid to compliment the Comet? The Trident or Zone?

BentElbow11 said:
UncleBrother, I like your bag setup per your sig. Functional and minimalist. But what are you using as an OS mid to compliment the Comet? The Trident or Zone?

I like the Fairway set-up.

I did this once before,but before I bagged a Roc3 I used a Zone for my OS Mid because it's pretty fast for a putter. I would also use my Trident for the inbetween. The Trident is Gold Line and is worn in pretty good so it throws about like a fresh Hornet would except with more skip.

Roc3 was pretty good though it's just my Beefy Z Comet could cover those shots better for me. I feel like i'm in control when I have my Comet vs. the Roc3

Roc3, okay. Agree re the Zone. And I kinda figured that about your Trident. Z Comet's a good workhorse mid, if it's not too windy.

I'm using a Z Wasp and neutron Tangent as my mids. The Tangent replaced an Opto Fuse. Less range but no flipping and sailing away with a slight miss on the release angle, or when windy.

I'm using a Pro D Zone as my "wind putter".

BentElbow11 said:
Roc3, okay. Agree re the Zone. And I kinda figured that about your Trident. Z Comet's a good workhorse mid, if it's not too windy.

I'm using a Z Wasp and neutron Tangent as my mids. The Tangent replaced an Opto Fuse. Less range but no flipping and sailing away with a slight miss on the release angle, or when windy.

I'm using a Pro D Zone as my "wind putter".

I used a Z wasp once too. either I had a faulty one or it just broke in way too fast. Started to overlap with my Z Comet.

I tried a Tangent once and it was really nice. I loved my Comets too much to bag it though.

Going back to the Cyclone. Here as of late I've been hitting some good 340ft to 350ft drives with it. Mainly the ESP as it is my most used. It just reminds me of a longer Comet everytime I throw it. What is funny is my ESP Cyclone throws like my Z Comet,my Elite X Cyclone throws like my ESP Comet and my Pro D Cyclone throws like my Elite X Comet. When I figured that out that one day my brain exploded. :lol:

Some are less OS than others I've heard. It's not that different than a Z Buzzz, just a harder fade. My Z Wasp is 172g, blue. I can rip it flat and it's straight until the very end when it begins slowing down, resulting in consistent and precise placement. Also very good for anhyzer-flex shots due to decent glide for an OS design.

Tangent is the straightest approach disc I've ever thrown, and that includes all putters. The only issue is range, as it's barely longer than a putter.

My Pro D Cyclone was very easy to throw straight with minimal fade at reduced power(long approach). My Elite X was noticeably more stable, had less glide, and needed a harder flatter throw.

BentElbow11 said:
Some are less OS than others I've heard. It's not that different than a Z Buzzz, just a harder fade. My Z Wasp is 172g, blue. I can rip it flat and it's straight until the very end when it begins slowing down, resulting in consistent and precise placement. Also very good for anhyzer-flex shots due to decent glide for an OS design.

Tangent is the straightest approach disc I've ever thrown, and that includes all putters. The only issue is range, as it's barely longer than a putter.

My Pro D Cyclone was very easy to throw straight with minimal fade at reduced power(long approach). My Elite X was noticeably more stable, had less glide, and needed a harder flatter throw.

I do the same thing with my Pro D. Where it is pretty beat all I got to do is just give it some finesse and a good snap and it excels at long approaches for me. I do backhand rollers with mine too,that is if the angle is correct.

The PLH is a little bit lower than my ESP so it flies pretty dang straight or has some turn when manipulated to do so. The ESP is just good for controlled Hyzers or good straight shots with small amounts of fade.

Love the triple threat you can get with the Cyclone

BentElbow11 said:
Yeh, the Pro D is fun. Gets chewed up quickly though.

Crap meant to post my Elite X's PLH is lower than my ESP. It was late and I was tired. Still ain't sleeping good because of this stinkin stomach flu.

Yeah that is the only thing I don't like about Pro D. Nice and cheap it is,but man the durability is as cheap as the price.

That's why I switched entirely to champ/opto/Z plastic awhile ago. It's the reason I use different molds to cover stability needs, instead of cycling. The upside is I can use the same discs for years, assuming I don't lose them.

I have never liked the feel/flight of Star or ESP, which has a bulkier feel to me. I also think they have less glide than champ or Z. I like Pro, but it gets beat up almost as quickly as DX.

BentElbow11 said:
That's why I switched entirely to champ/opto/Z plastic awhile ago. It's the reason I use different molds to cover stability needs, instead of cycling. The upside is I can use the same discs for years, assuming I don't lose them.

I have never liked the feel/flight of Star or ESP, which has a bulkier feel to me. I also think they have less glide than champ or Z. I like Pro, but it gets beat up almost as quickly as DX.

You know I've thought about doing that too. Once upon a time I had a Xpress. I really liked it and lost the durn thing. Couldn't find another like it locally so I never got another.

I could use my ESP Cyclone for Straight and fading drives and the Xpress for straight to right and turnover drives,but as of now I really like just using my cyclones for that role. :D

I agree about pro plastics. Elite X is pretty much just like that I have 3 other Elite X Cyclones that are pretty much too beat to use anymore. You know the best disc to get in ESP is a Zone. :wink:

Champion/Opto/Elite Z is so durable you don't have to worry about it at all. And I like the feel and flight better. For me, those plastics seem a little slower and more controlled in flight, and look like they're spinning through the air vs hurtling through the air. Throw your Champ, Star and G-Star Terns together at a field, and see if you notice the same thing. But, maybe I'm just getting more snap with the Champion-type plastic.

I should have said that I don't like Star/ESP in drivers. Mids are a different story.

BentElbow11 said:
Champion/Opto/Elite Z is so durable you don't have to worry about it at all. And I like the feel and flight better. For me, those plastics seem a little slower and more controlled in flight, and look like they're spinning through the air vs hurtling through the air. Throw your Champ, Star and G-Star Terns together at a field, and see if you notice the same thing. But, maybe I'm just getting more snap with the Champion-type plastic.

I should have said that I don't like Star/ESP in drivers. Mids are a different story.

Yeah Opto is something else. I really liked that plastic. Just feels so much different than Z and Champion. It's a bit grippier for my rough hands

I had pulled Cyclones in favor of JLS a couple of years ago for reasons I don't recall. I heard ESP Cyclones were going OOP so I stuck them back in the bag to try to decide if I needed to grab a few backups while they are still around. No idea why I stopped throwing these things. I still think it's the most versatile control driver out there. Maybe the Eagle might give it a run for that title but this isn't an Eagle thread so...

I lucked into a store that had them on clearance and grabbed a few, but I still only have 6. Gonna need to grab some more when I can. Of course, I COULD dip into my stash of Tournament Pro Cyclones...nah.

Latest posts