• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

riverboy said:
Flipflat said:
Just got this in the mail- saw this old TP Cyclone at Marshall St, figured I'd bring it back to Michigan. It's got dual 1996 Great Lakes Open ghost stamps:

4504429660_0d34304387.jpg
4504429346_c0788f97c2.jpg

I think those are some seahorse things wrapping the logo with their tails, but it's hard to tell, ghost stamp and all. Pretty cool looking, can't wait to throw it.
It's a green basilisk.

Cool. Kind of a odd thing to put on a tournament stamp. Must be some sort of lizard lawyer connection.

Off topic- but the 90's sure had some cool plastic.

Thats a cool looking cyclone. That plastic looks silky smooth.

I too have been throwing my cyclones more. They have been going farther than most my other drivers. I was playing with a buddy and he throws his Nuke 370ish down on the right side of the fairway given him a tough second shot, I step up and place the cyclone 340ish in the middle of the fairway. He takes a four, I take a three. Thanks Cyclone!

Like everyone has said, it will go where you put it.

okay, I'm on board now. Picked up an ESP and an X cyclone around 168-170 a few months back. Threw them but didn't think much of them. I was throwing a champ/pro leopard at the time. Picked them up again a couple weeks ago and they just crushed at a recent tournament. Loved them. The ESP is dead straight for me with predictable hyzer and the X might turn over a bit but comes back at the end.

Great drivers for that fairway distance. Not once did the not do what I expected them to do. Super happy with them.

Was funny to hear Hysell look down and say, "OMG is that a cyclone?" Started the "boy, I remember throwing them in the old days" conversation by the other guys :p funny.

black udder said:
okay, I'm on board now. Picked up an ESP and an X cyclone around 168-170 a few months back. Threw them but didn't think much of them. I was throwing a champ/pro leopard at the time. Picked them up again a couple weeks ago and they just crushed at a recent tournament. Loved them. The ESP is dead straight for me with predictable hyzer and the X might turn over a bit but comes back at the end.

Great drivers for that fairway distance. Not once did the not do what I expected them to do. Super happy with them.

Was funny to hear Hysell look down and say, "OMG is that a cyclone?" Started the "boy, I remember throwing them in the old days" conversation by the other guys :p funny.

Get used to it. These guys can't give you a good reason why they ever stopped throwing a Cyclone, and in ESP plastic it is coming back again as a disc of legend.

When your ESP breaks in a bit more it will begin to turn a bit more in the high speed portion of the flight, with a ridiculous amount of glide. It's an amazing mold.

If you think the ESP has good glide, you should try a TP.....Emmm wait. Scratch that...TP's suck, so dont buy any. And if you happen to get some, I will do you a huge favour and take those bad TP's off your hands :D

rehder said:
If you think the ESP has good glide, you should try a TP.....Emmm wait. Scratch that...TP's suck, so dont buy any. And if you happen to get some, I will do you a huge favour and take those bad TP's off your hands :D

I prefer to throw a disc I won't ever have to hoard or be a museum curator to use in the long term.

I already made the mistake of getting my wife addicted to an OOP disc: the older KC Pro Gazelles...I bought 3 when she was really hooked. I told myself "there are plenty of these for sale online for $20 or less, so I'll encourage her to keep using the disc she throws really well, and not mind about it being OOP." You see, that was short-term thinking, and it was wrong. I know about the economics of finite resources (oil is among this class of items), and surely in the long-term I want something more sustainable. Well, she lost all but 1. Then I told her how much they are going for now on ebay, and that if she loses her last one it will not be easy to replace. It really puts her in a bind, and makes throwing less fun because she worries too much about the disc. I thought about not telling her how expensive these were getting, but decided she should know since I'm not always ready to shell out $100 for a disc.

This is the future story of the TP Cyclone. Except it isn't quite the same, since miraculously Discraft has swooped in and made a fantastic ESP mold that simply kicks ass. Innova has had no such flash of brilliance, and has decreased production of the Gazelle in DX so that sellers began running out of even those.

Anyways, go on all you want about TP Cyclones, but just don't come crying when they're selling for over $100 in a few years.

JHern said:
she loses her last one it will not be easy to replace. It really puts her in a bind, and makes throwing less fun because she worries too much about the disc. . . Discraft has swooped in and made a fantastic ESP mold that simply kicks ass.

There's your answer. Get her an ESP 'clone.

I ended up putting my green ESP cyclone through its paces over the weekend at 3 different courses. I am very happy with the results. I can shape so many different lines. It'll hold a gradual right turn right out of the hands all the way to the ground, and with enough air will start to flex back.
I was able to park this hole which finishes right at a generous 335ft 2 times out of 3 rounds. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course_pics/1347/73b41e90.jpg
It will fly very straight with just a slight finish with about 80% power for me. It will hold a long slow hyzer w/ nary a skip at the end.
Now I just need discraft to get all the colors to mold up domey like my green one. God bless the cyclone. It holds the only discraft spot on my bag.

cmlasley said:
JHern said:
she loses her last one it will not be easy to replace. It really puts her in a bind, and makes throwing less fun because she worries too much about the disc. . . Discraft has swooped in and made a fantastic ESP mold that simply kicks ass.

There's your answer. Get her an ESP 'clone.

I already did, some months ago. :wink: :lol:

It is a 165 g ESP Cyclone, and it is from throwing that one a few times as practice that I decided I absolutely had to get one for myself in max weight. But the reason I liked the ESP Cyclone so much is because it wasn't like the KC Pro Gazelle. She has shown some propensity with the ESP Cyclone, but out of the box it started off slightly less stable than the seasoned KC Pro Gazelle, and she hasn't gotten used to it just yet; although I think it is a good thing, as she can begin to learn turnover shots and lines with a Cyclone that she could not perform as well with a KC Pro Gazelle. The Cyclone is a line shaping surgery disc, and the KC Pro Gazelle is just a tad too HSS to be capable of shaping a lot of different lines.

Anyways, yes, I'm on it. In the long run I hope she picks up the ESP Cyclone as her main utility disc for everything. If she still wants a stable fairway driver that is something like the KC Pro Gazelle, I figure I can get her back on a 150 Teebird (I lost her previous gummy Champ TB, still feel bad about that!). For her distance driver she is using the ESP Avenger SS, and can get it out to 270 ft on occasion. I'm hoping to get her up to 300 ft this year, and I think that goal should be possible.

JHern said:
Anyways, yes, I'm on it. In the long run I hope she picks up the ESP Cyclone as her main utility disc for everything. If she still wants a stable fairway driver that is something like the KC Pro Gazelle, I figure I can get her back on a 150 Teebird (I lost her previous gummy Champ TB, still feel bad about that!). For her distance driver she is using the ESP Avenger SS, and can get it out to 270 ft on occasion. I'm hoping to get her up to 300 ft this year, and I think that goal should be possible.

Perhaps EX instead of Teebird? More like the flight of the Gaz or Cyclone but more stable.

NoLifeLeft said:
JHern said:

Perhaps EX instead of Teebird? More like the flight of the Gaz or Cyclone but more stable.

Nah, I think the Teebird is plenty stable for my wife. She has a faster more stable driver around for times she needs more power and more fade: a 150 Tee-Rex.

Sorry if this has been covered before but Im wondering if any of you 'clone lovers throw stalkers as well? OR maybe dropped stalkers for cyclones or vice versa?

I've been throwing stalkers for a while now and really like em, but as many have pointed out they're mainly good at going straight. I throw a trashed TP cyclone for long annies or short sharp bends and Im considering throwing an esp cyclone in the bag to see how it performs against the stalkers...

any thoughts?

jamon said:
Sorry if this has been covered before but Im wondering if any of you 'clone lovers throw stalkers as well? OR maybe dropped stalkers for cyclones or vice versa?

I've been throwing stalkers for a while now and really like em, but as many have pointed out they're mainly good at going straight. I throw a trashed TP cyclone for long annies or short sharp bends and Im considering throwing an esp cyclone in the bag to see how it performs against the stalkers...

any thoughts?

Personally, I have no need for another driver in that speed range (stalker). As easy as it is to work my ESP cyclones on different lines, it is just as easy for me to throw it straight.

I had a stalker and a cyclone in the bag for awhile just couldn't decide, I finally went out and played 18 holes driving with both on each hole but alternating which disc I drove with first. I ended up dropping the stalker as the cyclone could handle all the lines I needed to throw where as the stalker was more of a one trick pony.

played a round at blue ribbon pines tonight, pulled the stalker and used the esp cyclone for all stalker shots.

Im really liking it so far, when thrown non-power grip ~75% it flies dead straight with a nice forward penetrating fade. Power grip at full power it held a beautiful anny line, actually hit the poll ~335ft away!

Ill have to give it a few more rounds to complete my review, but i likey!

Me likey Blue Ribbon Pines

I generally use my heavy Z Xpresses in those woods. I can manipulate that disc very, very well. I find that it truly shines in the tight fairways at BRP. I can hit slight hyzers, flat shots with minimal fade, and annies. (I have been using them for over 4 years, though.)

how do ESP cyclones stack up to the Z Xpress in terms of stability/speed/etc? I recall it being slower and a touch more stable? But I only have experience with a friend's Z Cyclone

the esp cyclone is alot moe like a z xpress then a z cyclone. The z cyclone flies like a longer wasp. the esp is much more workable and can hit alot of lines. a litte slower then a z xpress though the esp cyclone has more glide.

If you should give some subjective flight numbers for the Cyclone in Esp-plastic alone, what would it be?
I'm mostly familiar with Innova's Speed/Glide/Turn/Fade, so what would an Esp Cyclone be with that method?
6,4,-1,3 ?

I've never thrown a Z Cyclone, but it sounds like a perfect overstable compliment to Esp Cyclone. I know that many don't like them in Z. Is it because they don't fly like cyclones are "supposed to"? (I wasn't paying attention to the Z Cyclone-thread long ago, and now I can't find it).

Their flight paths leaves a lot to be desired, they do the same thing a Z wasp or Z pred will do, and nothing else really.