• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

F**ker had my disc!!!

man i WISH i had only lost 4 discs in my life.

stoneman, are you on ohiodiscgolf.org? thinkin it might be u

stoneman said:
What about when you find one, you call, and the owner never makes arrangements to pick it up. I have one on my front porch, that's been there awhile, that a guy was supposed to pick up. :D I have another one (a very nice champ disc), that I found in August. Made several calls to that guy, but he hasn't gotten it yet. Do you take over ownership of a disc if the owner hasn't claimed it? If so, after what time period?
I'd say you've done your part. You put forth a good and honest effort to return their disc. If you wanted to, you could always leave their contact info on it while you're throwing it. That way if you lose it, there's still a chance it'll get returned to them by someone else.

sleepy

I suppose if I leave one or give up on one, then it's gone. My wife has thrown several into the water and if anyone manages to fish them out, they deserve to have them.

One day I was at a course in Watertown, SD. I lost my star wraith on a hole. I looked for a while but figured it rolled in the water. After finishing on 18, I was getting ready to leave when these teenage guys were setting up for league or something. One of them was showing off a disc and I knew it was mine. I had put a custom design on there with a sharpie. So I told them that I had just lost it on hole 8 earlier that day.

So he asked me if I wanted to trade for it. I asked him what discs he had that he would want to trade. Then he says "no, what disc out of your bag to you want to trade to get this back?" I wanted to slap him!!! I asked "If I just found your disc, I can't just give it back to you?" He didn't have an answer. ONe of his friends said that since it wasn't lost for 15 hours, he had to give it back.

I could see if I left it there the other day, but on the same day, he should just give it back. I would.

I had another guy find my disc that I accidentally left at a tournament. He called, but I never met him, and couldn't get a hold of him after that. I came back to that course 8 months later, and my disc was in the lost and found mailbox. That was awesome.

Someone else called me from the Watertown course to ask about a Star Coyote. I told them just to keep it since it would be more of a hassle to try and meet them.

Personally, I don't keep discs I find. I call to try and return them. If there's no luck, I usually donate them to someone else. They're usually the wrong weight or a disc I don't even throw, even IF I was to keep it.

Torg said:
I just don't get why people would expect to get a disc back if they gave up looking for it. Once you give up it isn't yours anymore, you have deserted it. Before everyone posts in a tizzy I am one of the people that actually call and show up to give it back and refuse rewards for finding them. I'd say someone letting you have a disc you used to own back is doing it out of the kindness of their heart not ownership rights.

Yeah, I lose discs regularly. Once it becomes obvious it isn't going to show up in the 15 mins or whatever I put into looking for it it is a donation to the next generation of golfers. If I did spot it on the course I wouldn't even put another golfer in the position of having to make that decision, it would be his or her disc.

I guess what I am saying is, if the disc means that much to you keep looking for it or go swimming or whatever, don't be an ass to someone just because you gave up.

I disagree with most of this.

The only thing that separates disc golfers from being just a bunch of stoners throwing stuff around in the park is that we consider it a 'gentleman's game'...just like ball golf.

We don't talk while other people are throwing, we stay out of other people's sight-lines, we don't litter or tear-up the course/park. We let joggers, bikers, etc pass before we throw. We show newbies the way to the next tee.

I'm pretty sure that I can find an extra 3 minutes out of my busy day...throwing shit at trees...to pick up my cell and tell 'Raider Mike' or 'Lefty' that I have his Flick.

Torg said:
I just don't get why people would expect to get a disc back if they gave up looking for it. Once you give up it isn't yours anymore, you have deserted it. Before everyone posts in a tizzy I am one of the people that actually call and show up to give it back and refuse rewards for finding them. I'd say someone letting you have a disc you used to own back is doing it out of the kindness of their heart not ownership rights.

Yeah, I lose discs regularly. Once it becomes obvious it isn't going to show up in the 15 mins or whatever I put into looking for it it is a donation to the next generation of golfers. If I did spot it on the course I wouldn't even put another golfer in the position of having to make that decision, it would be his or her disc.

I guess what I am saying is, if the disc means that much to you keep looking for it or go swimming or whatever, don't be an ass to someone just because you gave up.

I agree 100%. I've lost a disc and then saw a guy the next day with it. We talked about it, he found it where I lost it. I told him to keep it, I couldn't find it in the brush, I gave up on it.

Torg said:

hm, if you lose it in a tournament you are required to give up after looking for 2 minutes. does that mean it's a "donation" to whoever happens to find it? or if you lose it around dusk and have to wait until daylight to look some more does that mean it belongs to whoever picks it up?

i can see how if you really do give up on it, you'd be willing to let someone else have it, but there are lots of cases where you have to temporarily suspend the search.

i don't tend to worry about discs i've lost after i've stopped looking for them but otoh people around here are generally pretty cool and i almost always get a call eventually... just last week i got a call about a disc i lost last july, and which is not easy to replace (168g dx ontario roc (reissue)).

Last week I was at my local course (East La Loma) with a couple of guys playing from some alternate teepads. I throw my drive then the others throw and as I'm picking up my bag I see a guy literally sprint from his group by basket #2, over towards where my disc landed to the left of basket #6 (front 9 is shaped like a horseshoe). Sure enough he picks up my new pink ESP Flash and says, "It's mine now!" and turns to run back to his buddies. I yelled "Hey! Put that back!" and he turns and drops it and walks back to his friends. No 'sorry' or nothing. He even robbed me of 15' which I made sure to say loud enough for him to hear.
Thats the problem with some of the new players, they don't even think about trying to get a disc they find back to the owner. If I lose it in the creek, fine have at it. Picking a disc up in the fairway and not at least looking around for the owner is just plain lame!!!!

We were playing at Caposia last year and I left my Star beast on a previous hole. I went back to get it and the group behind us was nearing the basket. They saw me looking for it, but said nothing. Finally I asked if they had picked up a white disc and they just said "oh yeah..." and tossed it out. Didn't say anything.

Then after my friend threw a great drive, they came in and said they were going to pass thru to the next hole. We let them, but on the way, they decided to pick up my friends trex.

Casual golfers and newbies. It's almost like you need to post signs that say "don't pick up a disc that isn't yours"

I had this happen the other day. I threw a Brick Hard Shut Your Mouth This Disc is Wood Jerry Garcia Wizard OB and didn't realize it until a couple of holes later. I start walking back down to were I threw it and and see an old man and his wife walking their dogs. I see he has a red disc in his hand. As soon as he sees me this mother f'er puts it under his sweat shirt. WHILE LOOKING RIGHT AT ME. At this point I'ved got some Testi Juices flowing and I'm ready to pound this old fart. I get 30' away and tell him "I'm going to get that disc back, throw here or I'm coming to get it". Grandpa craps his pants then says "oh, is this yours? Is that Jerry Gracia" ? :roll:

I'm pretty sure that I can find an extra 3 minutes out of my busy day...throwing shit at trees...to pick up my cell and tell 'Raider Mike' or 'Lefty' that I have his Flick.

Like I said, I call people. I think people are mixing 2 issues a bit. I've had a disk disappear that I threw right next to the hole. That is simple stealing.

hm, if you lose it in a tournament you are required to give up after looking for 2 minutes. does that mean it's a "donation" to whoever happens to find it?

That is a trickier issue and I'm sure most people aren't reffering to a special circumstance like that.

I agree 100%. I've lost a disc and then saw a guy the next day with it. We talked about it, he found it where I lost it. I told him to keep it, I couldn't find it in the brush, I gave up on it.
Yeah, I've had that happen as well. Well, not to me but to my son who was 10 at the time. He lost his favorite roller. We ran into a guy that had it about a week later, he had bought it off one of the discfisher guys on the course. I didn't have the 5 bucks on me to repay him for it so I didn't make a big deal of it. Expecting him to give up something he just paid for earlier that day without compensation wasn't reasonable IMO. In retrospect I should have got his number and bought it off him later when I had money on me. Later I asked the seller where he found it, it was pretty much where we were looking, just 40 feet further right than we expected. My son got a replacement the next day.

Torg said:
hm, if you lose it in a tournament you are required to give up after looking for 2 minutes. does that mean it's a "donation" to whoever happens to find it?

That is a trickier issue and I'm sure most people aren't reffering to a special circumstance like that.

true, but the point is that if someone finds a disc they have no idea the circumstances that led to it being "lost".

hallertau2000 said:
Pretty standard stuff these days,So many newby's so little courtesy.
I play in San Fran and my buddy got a call from younger sounding voice, "Is this ,name on disc I found it on random hole want it back ?Yah, my buddy replied, that'll be 5 bucks the voice says .My buddy flipped his lid told the little f@#$er where to go :evil: !!! man the nerve of some people@#$%!

James

I would pay $5 if it was a one of a kind disc, or a disc that would cost me $15 to replace. I live 30 miles from the only place that sells name brand discs, so $5 would be a bargin for me.

I pay $5 for lost discs of mine, I don't expect someone who took the time to pick up one of my discs I left to go through the trouble of finding me and giving it back for nothing. If they start asking for $10 though I might pay, but hold a grudge either way. It all keeps me throwing straight and clear in the end lol.

I've had my drive stolen twice because I parked it by a long pin and everyone else in my group took forever to get to the end. Usually on busy days with holes that have pins next to sidewalks. Its what I get for getting to excited and throwing first -_-.

I was playing in a singles round last month and doinked off a tree into a creek. I spotted the disc from the bridge and, since it was going to take some work to get back, decided to go back after the round instead of holding up the group.
As we made the loop and headed back to the parking lot, I see a guy carrying a duffel bag throw a yellow disc towards a basket. I ask him if he or his buddy had pulled a disc out of the creek and you would have thought I asked him in Swahili. He stares at his buddy for probably 15 seconds and I ask him again, a little louder, as I walk towards him. I even add that the disc is a 175 tourney stamped Buzzz to let him know it's mine. Again, with the silence. I tell him I saw him throw it so I know he has it. He finally pulls it out of his bag and says he has it but it took him a lot of work to get out of the creek. I said I wouldn't doubt it and that I was going to get it after my round. I got about 20 feet from him and he tossed the disc to me. If he would've been cool about it I would've gave him a couple of bucks or told him to stop by the parking lot and grab a disc from my truck. Instead, he had to be shady so he gets nothing from me except a lesson that finders-keepers doesn't apply to disc golf.

here's one from our local board...
this one's a chart topper.

So I'm throwing hole 1 at Burgess waiting for Matt MD to get there and while I'm getting the four putters I threw on hole 1 some kid steals my bag. (For those that don't know hole 1's tee is right on the main road, less than 10 feet away, and they just stopped and grabbed it.) So obviously I'm pissed and start running up towards the tee when Matt pulls in and this kid I was playing with and I hop in Matts truck and we follow them and eventually they pull over and to my surprise it's not a kid driving its a soccer mom with a 1 year old in a carseat in the back. Anyway I'm really pissed and when I run up to the minivan they try and act like nothing happened but the dumb ass is holding my bag in the backseat trying to stuff it under the seat. Eventually the kid unlocks the door and I drag him out of the car and was basically trying to kill him when Matt breaks it up and calms me down and just tells me to wait for the cops (which in hindsight was def. a good move on his part, but at the time I didn't care).

Anyway, the cops get there and by this time they go from denying taking anything (as the empty bag just magically blew into the vehicle apparently) to me getting all my stuff back minus my cell phone, which they claimed to have thrown out the window. Guess what the cops do, NOTHING, even though I'm telling them that it's like $500+ worth of disc golf stuff, plus money and a cell phone that they stole, but it doesn't matter because this kid gets in trouble like every other day and "it's not worth them pursuing because IT'S JUST FRISBEES." Shocked

So I'm out a $200 cell phone (which has all my landscape customers phone numbers in it that I now don't have) and these kids just get to go home because they're all rejects, if it was a normal person it would have been different, which makes ZERO sense to me and isn't right. So frustrating, but atleast I got most of the stuff back, but I'm not letting this go, there has to be some sort of legal action I can take.

End Rant

the other day at one of our local weeklys a buddy of mine parked a hole that is right next to the parking lot and while he was walking towards the basket some punk rock chick hopped out of a truck and snagged his disc, he tried to run after her but she jumped in the truck and sped off :shock: this was the first ive seen or heard of anything like this happening

Wow, I have never encountered near that type of drama on the DG course. When I play I make sure I keep a good eye on my discs and pick them all up after every hole. It's easy to fire off a couple practice shots and forget them.

Jesse B 707 said:
the other day at one of our local weeklys a buddy of mine parked a hole that is right next to the parking lot and while he was walking towards the basket some punk rock chick hopped out of a truck and snagged his disc, he tried to run after her but she jumped in the truck and sped off :shock: this was the first ive seen or heard of anything like this happening
I had that happen to me once. I lost two Sabres at the same time that way.