• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

F**ker had my disc!!!

Does the amount of DGers per captia increase the amount of douche bags that will keep you disc?

Where I am DG is still a pretty new thing. It's growing every month but it is still a fairly novel activity. I've noticed that most of us are pretty cool when it comes to finding discs/returning them etc.

Is it different where DG is more popular?

TannerBoyle said:
Does the amount of DGers per captia increase the amount of douche bags that will keep you disc?

Where I am DG is still a pretty new thing. It's growing every month but it is still a fairly novel activity. I've noticed that most of us are pretty cool when it comes to finding discs/returning them etc.

Is it different where DG is more popular?

I would say that as a general rule, as a population increases, so to do it's chances of being infiltrated by cloawnboats such as the previously mentioned. That is just society.

Now, to be honest, when I was new to the sport (and a few of my friends also) we were not even aware there was a community to be civil too. We used to call this one guy we play with Dick Miles because he had like 2-3 discs with Richard's name on it. We would see kids selling discs and buy stacks off of them thinking nothing of it. Never did we "steal" any of the discs, nor did we walk off with peoples bags, but we didn't have the same perception about the DG community as those inside it.

Eventually we got more and more into this sport and realized it actually did have a community that we wanted to take part in and it has been a 180. Now we call numbers, post on our club forum about missing discs, ask around when we find a blank one and even stopped buying from those dirty little kids at Badlands.

This is not an excuse for people who you find chucking your favorite Sidewinder that has your name, number, blood type and sharpie likeness of your double helix, but it might just be that they don't know any better because they are so new to the sport. So keep your punches below the neck unless your sure they do in fact know better.

you can throw gateway as most people return these to me, and I am usually the only one throwing them so it easy to know who it belongs to.

matchu said:
you can throw gateway as most people return these to me, and I am usually the only one throwing them so it easy to know who it belongs to.

Better yet, throw quest and discwing! On the back of the disc write, "I promise I will take this disc back if you call me, I won't even charge you." 100% return rate.

Better yet, throw quest and discwing! On the back of the disc write, "I promise I will take this disc back if you call me, I won't even charge you." 100% return rate.

I couldn't give away my 10M Brick. If I ever left it on the course I am sure it would be mentioned in the "Grossest stuff seen on a disc golf course" thread.

DigIt said:

I couldn't give away my 10M Brick. If I ever left it on the course I am sure it would be mentioned in the "Grossest stuff seen on a disc golf course" thread.

hahha! good one digit!

I found a KC Pro Eagle yesterday just laying in the woods off the course. Just had the name "Chad" on the back. Never threw one of these before, it seems to fly pretty good. I think I'll keep it in my bag for a while.

found a star t-rex on the U of Idaho course yesterday, had a last name and a number, so i called. a guy with a middle eastern accent answers and gets real confused because my phone # has a texas area code.... i finally convince him that i too am in idaho, but then realize he has no clue what disc golf is. im guessing the number was an old dorm phone or the guy moved and got a new #. i guess i have a new disc, even if i dont have the arm for it!

I think one of the problems is that most people never mark their disc. The last 3 disc I have found had no number and one had no name or number.

The only time I regret not writing anything on my disc is when I leave one in the fairway. If I throw a bad shot into the woods and can't find it, I just let it go. Works like a punishment for a bad shot :p

The other day I was playing and got up to the basket of one of the holes and found a star max just sitting by the basket, it had a name on the back, as well as "Batman" written on it. I asked the guys in my group if they knew him and they didn't so I tossed it in my bag and was going to make a post on the local message boards to try and return it. We finish up the round and are waiting by hole 1 to start another and there is a group in front of us. One of the guys drives, and a few other people say "Nice shot batman" so I pulled the disc out of my bag and walked up to him and sure enough it was his. He was happy to get it back, and I was glad I was able to find him still at the course.

plastic_fondler said:
hallertau2000 said:
Pretty standard stuff these days...

in SF. Wonderful course with some of the lamest people playing it.

Some of us who are not fans of SF are not surprised.

(You'd have to PM me about why.)

I just don't get why people would expect to get a disc back if they gave up looking for it. Once you give up it isn't yours anymore, you have deserted it. Before everyone posts in a tizzy I am one of the people that actually call and show up to give it back and refuse rewards for finding them. I'd say someone letting you have a disc you used to own back is doing it out of the kindness of their heart not ownership rights.

Yeah, I lose discs regularly. Once it becomes obvious it isn't going to show up in the 15 mins or whatever I put into looking for it it is a donation to the next generation of golfers. If I did spot it on the course I wouldn't even put another golfer in the position of having to make that decision, it would be his or her disc.

I guess what I am saying is, if the disc means that much to you keep looking for it or go swimming or whatever, don't be an ass to someone just because you gave up.

Torg said:
I just don't get why people would expect to get a disc back if they gave up looking for it. Once you give up it isn't yours anymore, you have deserted it. Before everyone posts in a tizzy I am one of the people that actually call and show up to give it back and refuse rewards for finding them. I'd say someone letting you have a disc you used to own back is doing it out of the kindness of their heart not ownership rights.

Yeah, I lose discs regularly. Once it becomes obvious it isn't going to show up in the 15 mins or whatever I put into looking for it it is a donation to the next generation of golfers. If I did spot it on the course I wouldn't even put another golfer in the position of having to make that decision, it would be his or her disc.

I guess what I am saying is, if the disc means that much to you keep looking for it or go swimming or whatever, don't be an ass to someone just because you gave up.

I agree 100% with all you said. If I leave a disc in the fairway, or give up looking it's gone. Getting it back is a bonus. That said, I get a ton of satisfaction out of returning a lost disc - and will always refuse a reward.

Torg said:

This post makes a lot of sense to me also.

matchu said:

Funny you say that. When I met x-out in Cali he knew it was me because he is the only other person at that course that would be putting with a Warlock. Man, is that Innova country or what...

Torg said:

I'm not sure "finders keepers, loosers weepers" is a philosophy that's widly embrased. If I lose my wallet I'd be mad if someone kept it because he or she found it instead of me finding it. I understand it isn't a perfect analogy, but in most places the law agrees with me.

That being said, I stopped writing my name on my discs. If I lose one I don't plan on getting it back and I try to track pepole down when they write on their discs.

If you found my disc deep in the thorns or on the bottom of a murky pond, good for you. You deserve to keep it because I either gave up or didn't want to get wet. But if you find my disc next to the basket or in the middle of the fairway, you're an asshole for keeping it. I didn't intentionally leave it there. Similar to the hypothetical wallet, or the entire bag on discs that started this thread.

I try to return discs whenever I can, but if there is no marking on the disc, I now no longer bother. If there is a name, I post to the local board. If there is a number, I always call.

The thing is, you never know what the disc means to someone else. I found a beat to Hades SE Teebird last summer and called the guy. When he came by to get it, I wasn't home, and he paid my wife $20 for returning it. It had a lot of sentimental value to him and was his most prized roller. He had thrown it close to dark and just couldn't find it. If I had been home, I wouldn't have taken the money. I only have one disc that doesn't have a suitable backup, so I wouldn't pay to get a disc back, but I understand where he was coming from.

Right after I moved to Iowa, I was playing a local course and found a Star Wraith. There was no number on the disc, but a website and a name. I posted on the site, went out and met the guy for a round, and we've been good friends since. We play a round together at least weekly when the weather cooperates. He ended up giving me the disc. I don't care that much about the disc, but the friendship has been worth much more to me than the disc.

krusen said:
If you found my disc deep in the thorns or on the bottom of a murky pond, good for you. You deserve to keep it because I either gave up or didn't want to get wet. But if you find my disc next to the basket or in the middle of the fairway, you're an asshole for keeping it. I didn't intentionally leave it there. Similar to the hypothetical wallet, or the entire bag on discs that started this thread.

The problem becomes "how they found it." If you don't remember losing it then how will you know that the dude throwing your disc found it in the fairway at 8 or in the drink by 12. I have lost a few discs right in plain sight where it could go both ways. It was lost on the fairway, but I still gave up on it.

If there is a number, no matter where you found it, I think you should call and try and return it. I also agree that if you gave up on it you let it go.

What about when you find one, you call, and the owner never makes arrangements to pick it up. I have one on my front porch, that's been there awhile, that a guy was supposed to pick up. :D I have another one (a very nice champ disc), that I found in August. Made several calls to that guy, but he hasn't gotten it yet. Do you take over ownership of a disc if the owner hasn't claimed it? If so, after what time period? I've tried to give every disc I've found back, and I would never accept a reward. I've gotten 2 back out of the 4 that I've lost, and I know how good it feels.