• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fantastic Meltdowns

waynewf

Double Eagle Member
Hey, put up your best melt down stories here...we all have them! I know that I've certainly lost my temper and emptied my bag more than once (when no one was waiting behind me of course!) but the best I've ever seen was when a friend of mine threw a terrible 2nd shot that ended up like 2 holes away, he proceeded to then throw every disc in his bag (probably10, and all terrible), he then threw his bag and because he was so worked up ended up falling forward on his face in the process.
Absolutely priceless. I also had a friend freak out and strip down to his boxers when the teebird he "couldn't live without"rolled into a mucky pond:)

I've punted my bag for a respectable 75+ feet before. The top was open so all the discs fell out either mid flight or once it hit the ground. Which pissed me off even more...

I have a feeling i'm gonna like to read this thread.

I've intentionally thrown my putter into a pond after missing a gimme putt (and still haven't found it, lol)

I have not had any really good meltdowns yet, which, frankly, is amazing for me ;) I have emptied the bag once, but it was just to throw them all into the chains after blowing an easy putt on the hole before. I was further out on this hole and made my putt, and I think it was a "see, I can make it from even further ... with ALL my discs" sort of moment. Of course, I also made the putt with my bag ... so maybe I was melting down a bit ;)

I have not had any really good meltdowns yet, which, frankly, is amazing for me ;) I have emptied the bag once, but it was just to throw them all into the chains after blowing an easy putt on the hole before. I was further out on this hole and made my putt, and I think it was a "see, I can make it from even further ... with ALL my discs" sort of moment. Of course, I also made the putt with my bag ... so maybe I was melting down a bit ;)

There's nothing like putting with your bag! If your bag doesn't stick, there's no way those chains are regulation!!!!!

There's nothing like putting with your bag! If your bag doesn't stick, there's no way those chains are regulation!!!!!

I've been known to do that :p

And what mobster did... I believe mine was a driver though. Wanted to see how many skips I could get across the pond before it sank. I had to throw it twice because I skipped all the way across and didn't go in! (not a very big pond)

Last weekend I played in a one day tourney. I was in first place by five strokes going into the second round with a -2 but the heat got to me in the second round. It was so hot and humid it was actually hard to breath. I shot a +13 the second round. That night the weather said it was a record breaking high temp of 106 that day and the course had quite a few open areas with no shade and was very hilly. I basically lost my snap on my drives and my putts were all going low.

A tourney I played in corpus last year. Had a 5 stroke lead going into the last round. Couldnt hit a fairway or a putt the hole round, come to hole 18 and tied with a guy on the second card for the win, have a 4 foot putt to go to a playoff and.............

A tourney I played in corpus last year. Had a 5 stroke lead going into the last round. Couldnt hit a fairway or a putt the hole round, come to hole 18 and tied with a guy on the second card for the win, have a 4 foot putt to go to a playoff and.............

Last weekend I played in a one day tourney. I was in first place by five strokes going into the second round with a -2 but the heat got to me in the second round. It was so hot and humid it was actually hard to breath. I shot a +13 the second round. That night the weather said it was a record breaking high temp of 106 that day and the course had quite a few open areas with no shade and was very hilly. I basically lost my snap on my drives and my putts were all going low.

Where's the meltdowns! I wanna read about disc throwing, kicking, flailing, cussing, screaming hissy fits! lol. Really though, as a Chicago Cubs fan... I know how much choking at the end sucks....

Where's the meltdowns! I wanna read about disc throwing, kicking, flailing, cussing, screaming hissy fits! lol. Really though, as a Chicago Cubs fan... I know how much choking at the end sucks....

As a Milwaukee Brewer fan, with our own issues, i will simply offer a smile and a knowing wink;)

And while you are on point with how I started this thread, we do all define meltdown differently and I think that breaking down in a tourney should get equal billing...that being said, if you lost the tourney on the last day AND threw your bag into a tree which you then had to climb, etc., etc...feel free to add all the details you'd like!

My gf is normally the mellow one. She was having a bad day driving and after about her bazillonth bad drive of the day, out of the blue she took her bag by the strap took a huge wind up, and slammed it to the ground. :eek: Then she slammed it 2 or 3 more times just to make sure all of her discs got the message. Then she calmly walked to her errant drive like nothing ever happened.

I guess I misunderstood the definition of a meltdown as was intended for this thread which apparently means losing your temper. I don't hit women, I don't flip people off in traffic, and I don't throw hissy fits on the course and am usually ashamed and embarrassed for those who do.

My gf is normally the mellow one. She was having a bad day driving and after about her bazillonth bad drive of the day, out of the blue she took her bag by the strap took a huge wind up, and slammed it to the ground. :eek: Then she slammed it 2 or 3 more times just to make sure all of her discs got the message. Then she calmly walked to her errant drive like nothing ever happened.

This is, without a doubt, my favorite type of meltdown. The absolute temper tantrum followed by the calm walk away, saying "What?" to the bewildered, jaw-dropped watcher. :D Just. Love. It.

It always seems like any time I have a bad toss, get mad, and throw the anger shot it never works out any way. I have a buddy who has the worst mental game. When things start to go downhill in his game (usually his driving) he just walks around pissed off the rest of the day and plays terribly. Just gotta shake it off...

I don't normally have meltdowns, thanks to a lot of work on my part (I am super competitive). But when I do they are not really about screaming, in fact its the opposite. When I have a meltdown I get very quiet, not speaking to anyone in the group except to complain under my breath. I think its very childish behavior but for some reason I just can't break it completely.

I was playing a tournament where I entered the second round leading by one stroke. The guy in second place was a great player, just having a rough day. I wasn't warm and I gave up 3 strokes to him on the first three holes. We stayed at about that for 5 holes. On hole 8 (we started on 18), he hit the same tree on 2 straight shots, and another tree right beside that one, gaining about 15 feet in 3 shots. After that, he preceded to promptly hand the round back over to me. He double bogeyed 2 other holes that are par 4's, and not because of his driving but because he thought he had to get a 3 or better on every hole. We even caught him saying he got a 4 when he got a 5 on 2 separate holes. It was just sad. One of my friends who isn't very good even caught him and beat him for 2nd after having a great round. It was just sad. It was also pretty funny to watch him just curse unremittingly after every shot. You know that scene in "The Usual Suspects" where they are lined up and Stephen Baldwin throws in every possible use of the F word? It reminded me of that. It was a good round, and I walked away with a practice basket.

I don't normally have meltdowns, thanks to a lot of work on my part (I am super competitive). But when I do they are not really about screaming, in fact its the opposite. When I have a meltdown I get very quiet, not speaking to anyone in the group except to complain under my breath. I think its very childish behavior but for some reason I just can't break it completely.

That seems more mature to me than just screaming and yelling like a child. You might be just as pissed as the guy yelling, but at least you're not affecting other people with it-yet. I do the same thing when i'm angry, but every now and then it comes out, and it's much worse than the average guys yelling and screaming.

My first World Championships was in 1987 - and was held on Toronto Island. You had to ride a ferry to and from the island every day. Well - at the end of the tournament - some guy (sorry don't know who) was so disgusted with his week, that as we pulled away from the dock for the last time, he just started emptying his bag - one at a time - behind the boat, til they were all gone. Don't know if he actually ditched the bag or not :)

All I can say is - I'm glad I don't get mad. All my own personal melt downs have always been blowing big leads in big tournaments, not actually blowing up and throwing stuff.

I guess I misunderstood the definition of a meltdown as was intended for this thread which apparently means losing your temper. I don't hit women, I don't flip people off in traffic, and I don't throw hissy fits on the course and am usually ashamed and embarrassed for those who do.

I really don't see where hitting women and flipping people off in traffic comes into this and if you see that on the course, or anywhere, you should call the cops. Or better yet cave the guy's face in then call the cops(hitting women). I'm sorry you misunderstood my sarcasm and "playful" post, but I was merely remarking on wanting to hear about the aftermath of the bad round, aka the meltdown.

That seems more mature to me than just screaming and yelling like a child. You might be just as pissed as the guy yelling, but at least you're not affecting other people with it-yet. I do the same thing when i'm angry, but every now and then it comes out, and it's much worse than the average guys yelling and screaming.

I think the only time I ever really "yell" is when I miss an ace, when the basket looks at me in the face and says "NO, you aren't staying in the chains" and out pops the disc. Just disappointment all over

a few years back i was disgusted with my round in a tournament at loriella. on the pond hole, i whacked a tree early and didn't make it across on my drive so i decided to skip a thumber off the water to the basket- 5 shots and 3 lost discs later i actually managed to do it.