• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fantastic Meltdowns

I played a round where on one hole, I zigzaged across the fairway from rough to rough, probably close to eight times. I got so angry I hammer threw a driver in the distance, where it ended up going down a ravine. I made the three other people in my group wait for me while I searched for it for a good 30 minutes.

a few years back i was disgusted with my round in a tournament at loriella. on the pond hole, i whacked a tree early and didn't make it across on my drive so i decided to skip a thumber off the water to the basket- 5 shots and 3 lost discs later i actually managed to do it.

Sounds like the scene from Tim Cup...which by the bay, is a fave of mine!

I remember one old goofball I used to know....he had an old DX disc...after a day full of bad shots, probably on the 12th hole, he throws a bad drive and says something to the affect of, "Oh I'm done with you!" He then proceeds to sprint toward his disc, as if would run away, he beat it about 10 times against a tree, put it on the ground and tried to break it in half by wedging it with his foot and trying to bend it with his hands, he then tried to break it in half by simply bending it with his hands into his chest...after a few seconds of realizing he can't break it like that, he throws it overhand and grunts as if it's the hardest he's ever thrown anything in his whole life...but because it is all deformed from his bending, it only goes about 15 feet.....then after intently eyeballing the disc for about 10 seconds, my buddy calmly turned to the three of us and asked if he could borrow a disc for the rest of the round....at which pint we all nearly fell over laughing....needless to say, he played the rest of the round with just his putter:)

I think the only time I ever really "yell" is when I miss an ace, when the basket looks at me in the face and says "NO, you aren't staying in the chains" and out pops the disc. Just disappointment all over

I know the feeling. In the thread about the guy missing 5 foot putts i posted about having my disc get stuck on one chain link, and then swing in and back out with the chains before just falling perfectly flat on the ground. My disc might have still been spinning when it hit the ground. You just can't do anything about those.

I know the feeling. In the thread about the guy missing 5 foot putts i posted about having my disc get stuck on one chain link, and then swing in and back out with the chains before just falling perfectly flat on the ground. My disc might have still been spinning when it hit the ground. You just can't do anything about those.

I don't know that you can't do ANYTHING. Every single time I just close my eyes, look up at the sky and count to ten. It may be true that you can't do anything PRODUCTIVE about it ... :p

hah, okay, i'll give you that. Good job misinterpreting my sentence which clearly connoted "anything PRODUCTIVE". I'll be sure to return the favor next time you post something.

and at this point in the post I think i'm suppose to make some sort of smiley face with different letters and characters to connote sarcasm, but I don't have those letter/character combinations memorized by any means, so this sentence will have to suffice.

supposedly at national doubles a few years back there was a guy who took a hunting knife to some of his discs mid-round.

you guys are cracking me up with these stories. Ive never seen someone lose it like some of these and would laugh my ass off if I did. I thought I was bad cause I'll have the occasion expletive slip out once in awhile on stupid mistakes. Im grumpy for 30 seconds then over it lol

The putting with your bag is priceless!

you guys are cracking me up with these stories. Ive never seen someone lose it like some of these and would laugh my ass off if I did. I thought I was bad cause I'll have the occasion expletive slip out once in awhile on stupid mistakes. Im grumpy for 30 seconds then over it lol

The putting with your bag is priceless!

I think you're more the norm and I've just seen some funny things. Back when I lived in WI, I saw a guy in another group who missed a putt and proceeded to run up and kick the basket...only problem is that he was wearing sandals. Suffice to say, we had t owait a few extra, totally worthwhile, minutes for him to limp off the hole.

hah, okay, i'll give you that. Good job misinterpreting my sentence which clearly connoted "anything PRODUCTIVE". I'll be sure to return the favor next time you post something.

and at this point in the post I think i'm suppose to make some sort of smiley face with different letters and characters to connote sarcasm, but I don't have those letter/character combinations memorized by any means, so this sentence will have to suffice.

Kidding! KIDDING! Sheesh. Can I help being bored at work?

I remember one old goofball I used to know....he had an old DX disc...after a day full of bad shots, probably on the 12th hole, he throws a bad drive and says something to the affect of, "Oh I'm done with you!" He then proceeds to sprint toward his disc, as if would run away, he beat it about 10 times against a tree, put it on the ground and tried to break it in half by wedging it with his foot and trying to bend it with his hands, he then tried to break it in half by simply bending it with his hands into his chest...after a few seconds of realizing he can't break it like that, he throws it overhand and grunts as if it's the hardest he's ever thrown anything in his whole life...but because it is all deformed from his bending, it only goes about 15 feet.....then after intently eyeballing the disc for about 10 seconds, my buddy calmly turned to the three of us and asked if he could borrow a disc for the rest of the round....at which pint we all nearly fell over laughing....needless to say, he played the rest of the round with just his putter:)

LOL that's hilarious!

I generally don't lose my temper while disc'ing. I've shot 6's on holes I usually get 2's or 3's. I shot last place in the last tournament I was in (104 out of 104) by shooting a 75 on a course I just shot 59 on a few days ago and shot an 83 on the other course going OOB 7 times. It was still a good day and nothing can be better than playing disc golf.

But I do have a coworker who curses every time he goes out to play DG. He throws a good drive and curses that it's too short, curses that a hole is too long, or the ground is uneven, or a teepad is dirt, or the sun is too bright, yadda yadda. The last 2 times I've taken him out he's quit after a few holes in frustration. Needless to say I haven't invited him out again in weeks. Sad really he's a decent player (he also refuses to play in tournaments because of all the "sandbaggers")

A good friend of mine and I were playing a round and came up to Hole #17, which featured a creek of sorts deep to the left (so you really gotta shank it to end up in there), and it's a pretty stagnant, smelly body of water. Anyways, my drive was on point, in the fairway; my buddy winds up near the creek, but up on the bank, so he's still relatively safe. He starts walking up to his lie, and I should mention here that the grass surrounding the creek is pretty high, and the creek winds a bit, so he's going through this tall stuff, eye on his disc, and doesn't realize the creek takes a winding path. He sinks down into some muddy stuff saturated with creek water, and you could hear the mud "fart" as he sank in and smelly-ass water shot straight up onto his legs and shorts. He tries hopping out, and lands with both feet in an even worse spot, shooting stinky mud and water all over! He at this point refuses to even finish the hole, cursing the course and gagging on the smell. We get back to the parking lot, he's still really pissed, and starts stripping down, realizing that nearly every article of clothing now smells like a swamp turd. I'm sure that whole fiasco must have just sucked royally, but it's kind of funny as long as it's not you.

I know someone with a temper and could see this very melt down happening. you made people in my office look at me weird for laughing so much when i read the bold part

I know someone with a temper and could see this very melt down happening. you made people in my office look at me weird for laughing so much when i read the bold part

I'm with you here, there are a few that are making me stifle laughing loudly out loud. I'm basically just holding my hand in front of my mouth with my body shaking from laughing so hard.

But I do have a coworker who curses every time he goes out to play DG. He throws a good drive and curses that it's too short, curses that a hole is too long, or the ground is uneven, or a teepad is dirt, or the sun is too bright, yadda yadda.

This IS tough to deal with. I used to be very similar to this. Then when I restarted playing this year I realized that the vast majority of the time when you shank a drive, screw up an approach, etc., you end up with the same score you usually get by doing it the "clean" way, anyway, the strokes are just from different places, and a little longer in distance. Even when you REALLY blow something, you usually have to blow it again to go two over your usual score. Once I realized this, I was a lot calmer about "blown" drives, approaches, etc.

I've only had a good meltdown once that I can remember, and this was about 7 years ago. My best friend and I were doing a madcap roadtrip, Dallas to Charlotte, playing disc golf all the way. We weren't serious disc golfers at the time -- we just loved to play. But we rib one another every round, and back then we were pretty similar in skill so the smack talk is golden.

We get to Renaissance, and we've had like 6 hours of sleep each, TOTAL the past three days -- driving at night and playing disc golf all day -- we've already played a couple other courses that day, and have never seen Renny (this is the original Renny layout). So far, I had won every single round of the trip -- something like 15 rounds at that point.

We start playing Renny and I just start getting bent over. First shot of the round looks like it will park the basket. Putt clangs the edge of the basket and keeps rolling until it's OB. And the round gets worse from there. We get done, and my friend had finally beat me for a round. And so we start in again on round two... I'm trying to play a little more conservative, but am starting to get upset. I'd never played a course like Renny before. I get to something like the 4th hole at the time, and throw what looks like it is going to be the perfect, parked forehand flick shot through that big gap in the tall fence. We never hear it hit.

We get up to the disc, and it is hanging in a tree on the smallest branch possible, about 15' up. I'm just getting upset. I start throwing all sorts of stuff at it and it just won't come down. It's like it's glued to this tiny branch and just refuses to let go.

I finally get the biggest dead branch I can find -- more like a fallen tree, and I do a whirling 360 pitching this thing up into the tree to get the disc to fall. Unfortunately, I'm throwing out of pure anger and not really paying attention. But this branch has a huge knife-like edge poking out on the side. And I'm not wearing a shirt. I let go; see the branch hit; see the disc finally fall. Reach down to pick it up, and realize I've got blood running all down my back.

Turns out the anger shot with the giant branch had knifed an 8" line across my back, up near my right shoulder. I just started laughing. Laughing. LAUGHING. Don't know why it was so funny, but it's that point where you've just run out of ways to be upset and your emotions flip flop.

Totally changed my mood. From then on, every bad roll or kick was just comical. Had a lot of fun. Fell in love with Renny -- still one of my favorite courses ever. I still have a long, thin scar across my shoulderblade to remind me of a great roadtrip. And to not get angry on the course.

I've only had a good meltdown once that I can remember, and this was about 7 years ago. My best friend and I were doing a madcap roadtrip, Dallas to Charlotte, playing disc golf all the way. We weren't serious disc golfers at the time -- we just loved to play. But we rib one another every round, and back then we were pretty similar in skill so the smack talk is golden.

We get to Renaissance, and we've had like 6 hours of sleep each, TOTAL the past three days -- driving at night and playing disc golf all day -- we've already played a couple other courses that day, and have never seen Renny (this is the original Renny layout). So far, I had won every single round of the trip -- something like 15 rounds at that point.

We start playing Renny and I just start getting bent over. First shot of the round looks like it will park the basket. Putt clangs the edge of the basket and keeps rolling until it's OB. And the round gets worse from there. We get done, and my friend had finally beat me for a round. And so we start in again on round two... I'm trying to play a little more conservative, but am starting to get upset. I'd never played a course like Renny before. I get to something like the 4th hole at the time, and throw what looks like it is going to be the perfect, parked forehand flick shot through that big gap in the tall fence. We never hear it hit.

We get up to the disc, and it is hanging in a tree on the smallest branch possible, about 15' up. I'm just getting upset. I start throwing all sorts of stuff at it and it just won't come down. It's like it's glued to this tiny branch and just refuses to let go.

I finally get the biggest dead branch I can find -- more like a fallen tree, and I do a whirling 360 pitching this thing up into the tree to get the disc to fall. Unfortunately, I'm throwing out of pure anger and not really paying attention. But this branch has a huge knife-like edge poking out on the side. And I'm not wearing a shirt. I let go; see the branch hit; see the disc finally fall. Reach down to pick it up, and realize I've got blood running all down my back.

Turns out the anger shot with the giant branch had knifed an 8" line across my back, up near my right shoulder. I just started laughing. Laughing. LAUGHING. Don't know why it was so funny, but it's that point where you've just run out of ways to be upset and your emotions flip flop.

Totally changed my mood. From then on, every bad roll or kick was just comical. Had a lot of fun. Fell in love with Renny -- still one of my favorite courses ever. I still have a long, thin scar across my shoulderblade to remind me of a great roadtrip. And to not get angry on the course.

There is a .gif or video somewhere of a kid throwing a huge log like that, except it swings around and jacks him in the back of the head, knocking him out cold.

Typically I dont blow up because im just not good enough to really get mad at the dumb things i do. Normally i just curse when i turn a discover or miss a 15' putt.

However my friends are good. One of them was playing in a casual local tourney and hit a bad stretch of putts. So from that point forward for the rest of his 12 holes he just placed his marker picked up whatever disc he through off of the tee and putted with it. He missed alot of putts and we just turned away and laughed.

I have another friend that deicded after missing putts he was just going to try and slam his mids into the chains. Well he hit 3-4 20' putts doing this and decided to tell us it was a great new putting form. Needless to say as we approcahed a downhill green all i got out was "dude..." before he let lose a ripped putt and flew by the basket down hill and lost his mid in some brush.

No you're fine, I was kidding too, i just like to do it in a very snide manner.

I thought so, just making sure. Typing is such a lousy medium for expressing light-hearted sarcasm. I always either come off as "not sarcastic" or "complete, obnoxious jerk".