• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

favorite putter

I just bought an R-Pro Aviar and am not comfortable with it yet. I guess I am still used to my old DX Aviars.

I've only tried a few so far but I like the Aviar-X im using now and the first putter I bought, the gateway voodoo. They are the same weight and have the same tacky rubber grip feel but the voodoo is stiff while the aviar is a little soft. I like the rhino too because I can control it well for some reason. I want give the R-pro dart a try though. My star Aviars are a little weak feeling after throwing the aviar-x.

Question regarding magent putters: Do the magnet putters really have magnets strong enough to make a difference when they hit the chains? I mean would you make a shot you might normaly miss based on the magnetic power pulling it into the chains?

I've only tried a few so far but I like the Aviar-X im using now and the first putter I bought, the gateway voodoo. They are the same weight and have the same tacky rubber grip feel but the voodoo is stiff while the aviar is a little soft. I like the rhino too because I can control it well for some reason. I want give the R-pro dart a try though. My star Aviars are a little weak feeling after throwing the aviar-x.

Question regarding magent putters: Do the magnet putters really have magnets strong enough to make a difference when they hit the chains? I mean would you make a shot you might normaly miss based on the magnetic power pulling it into the chains?
It's a rare earth cobalt magnet. Think superconductivity.
big-1.jpg

I keep hearing about the Voodoo. What exactly is so good about it?

I have to bomb about every putter I use in with a hyzer curve. The voodoo will fly straight.

Of course if you are used to bombing your putters in it will bone you...so....either use it exclusively or don't. (IMO...my monkey brain isn't capable of adjustment apparently).

ss/proto wizards.

have tried some aviar p&a's recently because the tacky feel of the ss/proto wizards gets really funky when its damp outside and my putting gets erratic.

im not a fan of the deep rim of the aviar either - im still learning how to feel comfortable throwing them for distance. i throw the wizards with a 3 finger power grip and have been getting some nice shots with them.

quick question: how do soft wizards compare with SS/M? as far as the feel of the disc/finish on the plastic

S has somewhere between the same chalky feel and plasticy but is not nearly as flexible (obviously).

175 Innova Aviar is my Fav...but I got a DGA Reef as a "free" putter on the last disc golf cruise and it is also great...

I own 12 Aviars (got a great deal for about $6 each brand new) now so I can FINALLY start doing putting practice :)

Time to embarass myself:

I use a 185 Rippa for most all short putts. It is insanely understable and complete crap, but I can't stop using it because it works for me. ACK!

Any longer than that (out to about 180-200) I throw a rattler. There is some overlap between my Rattler and Comet depending on the line.

I've been putting with a Banger-GT in ESP plastic. It's great for approaches, but for short putts it can be VERY unforgiving if you miss. It will just keep going. The problem is that its slightly overstable and is actually built to be driven with, so in order to get it to go straight into the basket, you have to give it some snap. This works fine if you make it in, but "oh no" if you miss.
I switched back to the soft magnet for short putts. You can finesse it in with some confidence and it won't go a mile if you miss. Then again, I could just learn how to put better and I wouldn't have this problem at all.

Latest posts