• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

% Favorited

No kidding!

I have played it twice. In the last doubles tourney, and again this summer. Both times I have gotten fairly beaten up score-wise. Not so much in dubz, but this summer playing it in singles I was able to hold my own for quite a while, but eventually started to get abused.

I never lost the smile I started with, and to me that is a sign of a great course.

I get to go play it again real soon (this weekend) for the match play tourney. I can't wait for that. I have no expectation, but I do know that I will enjoy the opportunity to be there again.

Really, this is the type of course that you feel fortunate to have been there.
Top 2 on my list, but it has a special place because you can't just play it when you feel like it.

What's your #1?

Hmmmm... Interesting. I still haven't played Kirkwood. I was surprised that you only gave Birds a 4, but I guess thats one of those moments when people don't agree on things, and I guess that I just have to accept it. Still a good review though.

My favorite is my 1st course Mazerick Park front in North Carolina, not the best, but it hooked me and I miss playing it. I rather have a thread where you list your favorite course in each state you played. Mine would be

North Carolina - Mazerick Park front
Tennesse - Seven Oaks park
Kentucky - Madisonville city park
California - Stafford Lake
Oregon - Whistlers Bend
Washington - Lucky Mud
Nevada - Zephyr Cove
Arizona - Thorpe Park

Hmmmm... Interesting. I still haven't played Kirkwood. I was surprised that you only gave Birds a 4, but I guess thats one of those moments when people don't agree on things, and I guess that I just have to accept it. Still a good review though.

Kirkwood will always have a special place in my heart, and it didn't get a 5 star rating from me either.

Both are mountain courses though, so you could say that I am a little biased in that regard.

I gave Turtle rock park a 5 star rating because I think it is that nice. It is a great course. It was the first review I wrote (I think) for this site and I could have been more thorough. I don't think course-wise it is as appealing as kwood or birds, but has all the amenities that a 5 star course should.

Kirkwood will always have a special place in my heart, and it didn't get a 5 star rating from me either.

Both are mountain courses though, so you could say that I am a little biased in that regard.

I gave Turtle rock park a 5 star rating because I think it is that nice. It is a great course. It was the first review I wrote (I think) for this site and I could have been more thorough. I don't think course-wise it is as appealing as kwood or birds, but has all the amenities that a 5 star course should.

See now I felt different. I like Turtle Rock all right, but not near enough to give it a 5. I think that amenities are just extra toppings on a course. I rate courses off of their design and flow. Amenities are maby a half a point in my book. And Turtle Rock didn't have some of the great amenities that Birds does, like drinking water available around the course. Sure it has signs and rubber tee pads (which I don't like as they get slick with a little rain), but that's not enough to make me want to give it a 5. A lot of holes felt the same, or close enough to other holes that I had played elsewhere, that I didn't give it a lot on the creativity of the design. I want to play Turtle Rock again though before I review it. When I played it me and some friends had camped out there that night after playing Reno Adventure Park during the day. The ground in the spot we got to camp in was super rocky, and none of us brought an air mattress, so none of us were able to sleep during the night. Finally at about 4:20 in the morning we decided to get up and sit in my car with the heater on and smoke and drink our way through the rest of the night. As soon as the sun was up enough to see what we were doing, we went out and busted out the course. I wasn't overly impressed. I think if I were to rate it right now I would give Turtle Rock the 4 and Birds the 5. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Ya, I have played Turtle Rock a bunch and there are a ton of locations for each hole allowing for many different feels on that course. I will agree that the water that is available at BOP is a huge plus, and something that Trock can't provide. The camping is average at best and you really luck out if you find a spot that isn't rocky, but it is possible. I didn't really consider that an amenity though at trock in my review (even if I mentioned it). There are simply much better places to camp there in the area for free.

So yes we will have to agree to disagree on this matter.
That being said, if you find yourself at any of the three mentioned courses you are pretty fortunate, and could do much much worse.

I live in Arcata, downtown, and would be up to grab a beer sometime or play a round if you are interested.

Ya, I have played Turtle Rock a bunch and there are a ton of locations for each hole allowing for many different feels on that course. I will agree that the water that is available at BOP is a huge plus, and something that Trock can't provide. The camping is average at best and you really luck out if you find a spot that isn't rocky, but it is possible. I didn't really consider that an amenity though at trock in my review (even if I mentioned it). There are simply much better places to camp there in the area for free.

So yes we will have to agree to disagree on this matter.
That being said, if you find yourself at any of the three mentioned courses you are pretty fortunate, and could do much much worse.

I live in Arcata, downtown, and would be up to grab a beer sometime or play a round if you are interested.

O yea. I'm betting any of them is going to be beter than courses rated higher in say TX. :D

I live in Arcata too, and though I would love to go play a round with you, my back and neck have been all sorts of messed up from a car accedent that I was in about 3 1/2 weeks ago, so no golf for me right now. :( But if you want to get a beer sometime and hang out, talk disc golf I would be happy to. Are you going to BOP for matchplay this weekend?

Ya, Should be a blast!
Sorry to hear about the back and neck. I hope you can play again soon.
This will be my third BOP experience and I am pretty pumped about getting some more time out there.

I'm not going anywhere for the time being so we'll have to get together and chat discgolf and grab a beer soon.:thmbup:

Ya, Should be a blast!
This will be my third BOP experience and I am pretty pumped about getting some more time out there.

I'm not going anywhere for the time being so we'll have to get together and chat discgolf and grab a beer soon.:thmbup:

Well, I'm gonna try to push it and come out there tomorow and do a little photography. I'm just gonna double up on all my meds to try to survive the drive. Then depending on how I'm feeling I might stay the night and party. If I make it keep your eyes open for me. I'm prety easy to spot. Long curly hair and a beard. Hopefully I'll be able to make it and if I do, I'll see you there, otherwise we'll have to get together for a beer around town here.

Visit

My favorite is my 1st course Mazerick Park front in North Carolina, not the best, but it hooked me and I miss playing it. I rather have a thread where you list your favorite course in each state you played. Mine would be

North Carolina - Mazerick Park front
Tennesse - Seven Oaks park
Kentucky - Madisonville city park
California - Stafford Lake
Oregon - Whistlers Bend
Washington - Lucky Mud
Nevada - Zephyr Cove
Arizona - Thorpe Park

You need to come visit so we can get that crappy Mazerick taste out of your mouth. It needs to be replaced by another NC course. :gross:

Ya, Should be a blast!

Bummed I missed Matchplay, but my back was too messed up to make it down there even to photograph. I tryed doubleing my meds and trying to make the drive, but I didn't even make it to Fortuna before I decided to turn back. How was it? An epic experiance as allways?

^^It was a great weekend. The course was absolutely perfect, manicured, and we even got to play a few random holes for seeding that I had never played. The weather was great, camping was great, Saturday dinner was awesome and a huge perk, and I could go on but there's no need, you know what I'm talking about.

Big props to Caleb for organizing and putting on a fantastic disc golf tournament.

^^It was a great weekend. The course was absolutely perfect, manicured, and we even got to play a few random holes for seeding that I had never played. The weather was great, camping was great, Saturday dinner was awesome and a huge perk, and I could go on but there's no need, you know what I'm talking about.

Big props to Caleb for organizing and putting on a fantastic disc golf tournament.

Yea, like I've said before I think you were being a little harsh on it with a 4.0, but like I also said everyone has thier own opinions of it. I think BOP could compete with any of the top courses in the country.

Noted: I got one disc back that I lost this summer, and lost three.

A couple of those aren't coming back no matter how many people play here.

You never know. I've seen some discs come back from there when people had ment to sacrifice them.

The discs don't bother me at all...I've had things come back from that course already. I just think that holes like "top of world" should have a pad to throw off of. I love that hole, but I think it may be a little harsh. There are a couple others.

Course design is outstanding...This is a place that you won't forget.
I would say that yes maybe I was a little harsh on giving it a 4 star rating.
That being said I could not give it a 5 star unless there were tee pads, and I really don't want to give too much bonus rating on it being private. For me that is NOT a bonus.

The discs don't bother me at all...I've had things come back from that course already. I just think that holes like "top of world" should have a pad to throw off of. I love that hole, but I think it may be a little harsh. There are a couple others.

Course design is outstanding...This is a place that you won't forget.
I would say that yes maybe I was a little harsh on giving it a 4 star rating.
That being said I could not give it a 5 star unless there were tee pads, and I really don't want to give too much bonus rating on it being private. For me that is NOT a bonus.

I totaly hear you on the rock shot. They need to make some kind of elevated teepad that sits atop that rock. But that's the one place on the course where I would realy think that anything needs to be done with the teepads. I like the natural ones myself.

fair enough...

And I would love to thank Caleb and his family for hosting this event at their property.

If there are any other discgolfers out there that have played this course please review it. This place deserves to be in conversation with the other AT LEAST top 20 in the country regardless of tees and my personal rating values.

fair enough...

And I would love to thank Caleb and his family for hosting this event at their property.

If there are any other discgolfers out there that have played this course please review it. This place deserves to be in conversation with the other AT LEAST top 20 in the country regardless of tees and my personal rating values.

There just aren't enough of us on this site from around this area. Sad kinda. But most of the courses that are in the top 20 are from areas with many more active users on the site than Humboldt.

Latest posts