• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Firebirds Illegal!

If the disc golf community wants the sport to grow they have to keep safety as the #1 priority.
Work for any type of manufacturing company and that is what they promote the most. If something goes wrong in manufacturing and the reason it went wrong is because of unsafe practices, someone will get fired.
No one wants OSHA sniffing around for anything other than regular visits.

Maybe its just me, but if I throw a disc that flex's max at 27lbs, into someones face vs. one that flex's at 40lbs, I feel like it would be hard to tell which did more damage. There both gonna really F%*# your day up. Besides wouldn't it be just as bad to take a golf ball to the face? Maybe less gashing, but it moves much faster than a disc, and ironically has little to no flex.

I'm really confused about how safety is the issue with this flex test, this whole thing about disc is to stiff is just stupid. Maybe I just don't understand.

Last edited:
Maybe its just me, but if I throw a disc that flex's max at 27lbs, into someones face vs. one that flex's at 40lbs, I feel like it would be hard to tell which did more damage. There both gonna really F%*# your day up. Besides wouldn't it be just as bad to take a golf ball to the face? Maybe less gashing, but it moves much faster than a disc, and ironically has little to no flex.

I'm really confused about how safety is the issue with this flex test, this whole thing about disc is to stiff is just stupid. Maybe I just don't understand.
You make a good point with the 40-27lbs comparison.
But compare these discs to old lightening and you would see/feel a huge difference. Those were like getting hit by a flying piece of wood.
The stiffness of the discs is just one aspect of safety in disc golf. I am sure when installing courses safety is the top priority also.

You make a good point with the 40-27lbs comparison.
But compare these discs to old lightening and you would see/feel a huge difference. Those were like getting hit by a flying piece of wood.
The stiffness of the discs is just one aspect of safety in disc golf. I am sure when installing courses safety is the top priority also.

IMO Safety shouldn't be the issue. More like awareness. People should be AWARE that disc golf is a growing sport and not take their dogs for walks on disc golf courses. More signs to let people know there are flying discs, or that they are walking on a disc golf course and should proceed at there own risk. I don't like that we have to change plastic that has being made a certain way for so long because it hurts when you get hit by it.

IMO Safety shouldn't be the issue.

If everyone in disc golf thought this way the sport would never grow. I'm not flaming when I say it doesn't matter if anyone agrees or not.

I said there are other aspects to safety, but this way of thinking is not good. Like it or not.

This is like adding putting a memory foam mattress on the front of an f1 car for "safety"

Yes, sure you're technically making it more safe, but at what cost? You can't ruin an aspect of a sport simply because it *may* be dangerous. I would imagine that getting hit square in the jaw by a baseball is leaps and bounds worse than an errant disc hitting someone.

Sure, it'll happen. Yes, it'll suck to get hit. These regulations are uncalled for, there will always be inherent safety issues with disc golf, the way to increase the safety is not to change the sport, but to allow people to understand the risks being taken by taking their morning promenade on a disc golf course.

People need to be smarter. Nerfing the sport is not the answer.

Last edited:
When you walk up to a tee and see people close enough to the landing zone that you feel you might hit them, you wait. You ask them to move and explain why. You do not just go ahead and throw anyway thinking if they get hit it's their fault they weren't aware.

We all play safe, if for no other reason than the person you hit might get pissed and do something about it. :p

IMO Safety shouldn't be the issue. More like awareness.

With awareness, comes safety.

People should be AWARE that disc golf is a growing sport and not take their dogs for walks on disc golf courses.

Unless you're on a private course, this is just something we have to deal with. Now, if only they would CLEAN UP after their dogs, I'd be a lot happier.

so if they never announce it all these talks are for nothing because if pdga doesn't announce it then the TD can't look it up or show the player data to make it illegal.
Even if they announced it, there really isn't much TD's can do. There is no system to check everyone's bag. Somebody on my card would have to notice I was putting with Wizards, pick them up and notice they are firm and then question them to the TD. The TD would have to check them with no equipment to actually measure anything and determine if they were too stiff or not.

Think it's as easy as just turning them over and looking for the "M?" I have some really, really stiff Wizards from 2006-07. They are harder and stiffer than the old G9i's. They are not marked Firm, Medium or anything. You are going to expect all TD's to be Wizard experts and spot those or make a determination that they are too stiff with no equipment or training on how to do that. And then I'mma gonna bitch up a storm because he has no equipment or training on how to do that. Chances are no TD really wants to dig in that can of worms anyway and I get a "wink-wink-nudge-nudge."

At the higher levels like NT's and Majors maybe there would be people to determine these things so maybe you could ban M Wizards in those events, but for the vast majority of events there is no way to enforce a ruling that M Wizards are suddenly illegal.

IMO Safety shouldn't be the issue. More like awareness. People should be AWARE that disc golf is a growing sport and not take their dogs for walks on disc golf courses. More signs to let people know there are flying discs, or that they are walking on a disc golf course and should proceed at there own risk. I don't like that we have to change plastic that has being made a certain way for so long because it hurts when you get hit by it.
Eh, we use public multi-use parkland. It's on us to be aware of other park users and not do anything that puts them in danger. Always has been, always will be.

Kinda like the jerks that have dogs that bite that they take off the leash and let run in the park. That's irresponsible. It puts everybody in the park in danger (especially me since I have a bag of Frisbees.) It's fine for them to walk the dog in the park, but once they take the dog off the leash they are in the wrong. It's fine for us to play disc golf in parks, but once we start throwing at other park users because they are in our way, we are in the wrong.

I'm probably wrong on this, but it would seem to me that the safety issue with discs failing the flex test is that they would be too brittle, especially in cold conditions and could possibly shatter on impact. This would leave sharp shards of plastic in our public parks.

I really can't think of any other reason. As posted before, being hit with a disc that flexes at 25lbs and one at 40lbs wouldn't be that much difference. It would be big time damage either way.

This is crazy. I spent several hours yesterday walking property for a new course with others. Several times I felt the need to explain why we couldnt or shouldn't throw in a particular direction because of safty. Safety has to be the number one concern. Always.

I still think safety should be the responsibility of the players. Granted, a manufacturer shouldn't ever build discs with serated edges or razor blades on them, that would be a weapon, not sporting equipment.
I never, ever throw any disc when, on my best throw ever or worst throw ever, is there even the remotest of possibility that it might come into contact with any person or animal. My brother was knocked out cold, suffered a concussion and had 14 stitches because someone threw a DX Roc that they thought could never hit him. That person, and any person who doesn't exercise the same caution I mentioned above, is the problem with safety in disc golf.

I have a feeling in the years to come alot of older molds we're attached to will become illegal.

I still think safety should be the responsibility of the players. Granted, a manufacturer shouldn't ever build discs with serated edges or razor blades on them, that would be a weapon, not sporting equipment.
I never, ever throw any disc when, on my best throw ever or worst throw ever, is there even the remotest of possibility that it might come into contact with any person or animal. My brother was knocked out cold, suffered a concussion and had 14 stitches because someone threw a DX Roc that they thought could never hit him. That person, and any person who doesn't exercise the same caution I mentioned above, is the problem with safety in disc golf.

Whoa! Hold up there buddy. Personal responsibility has no place in modern America. That went out of fashion when we made peace with the Commies. :|

**I agree with you**