• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flipping a hyzer. Disk recommendations.

Bulldogger

Hello, I have been working on my form and , recently trying the hyper flip. I cant seam to do it and I watch so many vids about the proper technique. I am wondering if certain under stable disc are better than others for this. I appreciate any recommendations for disc or form tips, Thank you. .

On the course, how far will a decent backhand go? Like what distance holes can you reach reliably? If you're throwing 300'-350' then a Discraft Heat in ESP plastic is a great disc, maybe Innova Star Roadrunner or Discmania Essence. If you're not comfortable throwing quite that far, try an Innova Leopard or Prodigy F7.

Last edited:
Hello, I have been working on my form and , recently trying the hyper flip. I cant seam to do it and I watch so many vids about the proper technique.

When you try throwing a hyzer flip, what happens? What discs have you tried to throw on a hyzer flip line? What do those discs normally do when you throw them?

I am wondering if certain under stable disc are better than others for this. I appreciate any recommendations for disc or form tips, Thank you. .

Slower, more understable discs are easier to hyzer flip. Do you have any putters or midranges that turn when you throw them? If so, throw those discs with a hyzer release (outer edge of the disc tilted down) until you find a hyzer angle where the disc flips up to flat and flies straight.

When you try throwing a hyzer flip, what happens? What discs have you tried to throw on a hyzer flip line? What do those discs normally do when you throw them?

Slower, more understable discs are easier to hyzer flip. Do you have any putters or midranges that turn when you throw them? If so, throw those discs with a hyzer release (outer edge of the disc tilted down) until you find a hyzer angle where the disc flips up to flat and flies straight.

Hmmm, as a newerish noodle arm, this doesn't match my experience. It's much easier for me to throw something on hyzer that actually flips and rides over with a fairway driver like a Hatchet, Heat or a Roadrunner than it is any understable mid or putter. If someone were really struggling to throw their first hyzer flip, I'd suggest a lightweight Diamond (under 160g) in gold plastic.

Conversely it's much easier for me to throw a shot that holds a turnover with a mid or a putter.

Hmmm, as a newerish noodle arm, this doesn't match my experience. It's much easier for me to throw something on hyzer that actually flips and rides over with a fairway driver like a Hatchet, Heat or a Roadrunner than it is any understable mid or putter.

Interesting. I have piles of "yard putters" that are beat up from skipping off the road and hitting trees and stuff. I practice putter hyzer flips with them all the time, and I am definitely not a big arm.

A new player typically needs to develop some distance before they can turn a driver with clean form. YMMV, of course, and the discs a person is throwing will be a factor.

i could see how it can seem more difficult to have a good shot throwing a flip up line with a slower disc. you need to get more height with something slower and then it's harder to avoid throwing nose up, especially for the newer player. i like to practice flipping up an XD and beat up X buzzzes and i'm with Monocacy on slower discs being easier to flip; that's just physics.

for learning the hyzerflip with a driver, i like a DX leopard

I don't know what your form looks like or your distance but, if you're a beginner distance and fairway drivers are not the place to start. If you don't have the arm speed and/or proper technique, you'll just be doing all kinds of weird things to "try" getting them to work.

I'm with Monocacy, start slower.

Discs off the shelf that I found that work well;
DX Stingray
DX Cobra
Mirage
Wolf

DX Leopard if you want to try playing with a bit of distance.

There are lots of others, but in todays pandemic times they are hard to find.

Remember, you're trying to learn how to do it, not how to get distance doing it. Once you figure out how, then you can work on distance.

A slow flip up shot is a very useful tool and is a thing of beauty too. There are guys that I have played with for years who still can't throw a clean short range flip up.

Interesting. I have piles of "yard putters" that are beat up from skipping off the road and hitting trees and stuff. I practice putter hyzer flips with them all the time, and I am definitely not a big arm.

A new player typically needs to develop some distance before they can turn a driver with clean form. YMMV, of course, and the discs a person is throwing will be a factor.

I have lots of beat in putters, but I believe that they all started out way more stable than the flippy fairway drivers do out of the gate. They just don't tend to make putters with -4 turn. I've never had a Sonic though. Plus, with blunter noses to begin with, they don't beat in as much, I think?

I've thrown thousands of field shots and hyzer flip with my putters just doesn't tend to happen, whereas the flippy fairway drivers do it easily if I throw it right. Perhaps dreadlock is correct that I just ending up a little throwing nose up if I'm throwing my slower disc on hyzer. But, if that's the case, I'm finding it easier not to make that mistake with the faster discs.

Just curious, but have you ever actually thrown a 150 class Diamond? They are just stupid easy to get up and gliding. Very flippy, but don't feel like a paper plate like, say, some of the DX Leopard light weigh starter discs will. It fairly quickly became too flippy to use regularly, but it's always a hit for brand new players I take out.

I don't know what videos you've been watching, but a persistent nonsense teaching is that there is a "technique" to hyzer-flips, beyond throwing a disc with turn on a hyzer angle. That's it. Throw it clean, let it turn. If you're not having success, there may be several reasons.

The disc may be too stable. Does it turn when thrown flat? Then you should be able to hyzer flip it.

You may be throwing nose up. Keeping the nose down on a hyzer angle is often harder than on other angles. This will effectively make the disc more stable, and turn less.

You may be throwing with too much hyzer. The amount of turn you observe when thrown flat is a clue to how much angle you need to put on a particular disc to get a flip up to flat.

You may be misevaluating your throws, thus your discs. It is common for beginners to call a disc understable because they read the -3 on the face. Then they throw wobbly 30mph anhyzer chops and reinforce the illusion that it's "flippy." Ask someone else what angle you're releasing at.

--

I agree and disagree with previous posts. Putters, mids, and drivers are all eligible for this shot, even for beginners. The only thing that matters is that the disc has natural turn. Beat up putters, base plastic mids, base plastic fairway drivers, are going to be the place to find understability. A worn in DX Leopard is probably the most readily and widely available and foolproof turner.

Nose down is the key to hyzer flips and distance in general. I think a two finger grip is the easiest way to ensure a nose down grip. Play around with this swing drill. If you swing the golf club with two fingers and the thumb on the back, then go for that same feeling the the disc, you should be throwing nose down hyzers in no time.

https://youtu.be/7IFO7J3AV5Y

Just curious, but have you ever actually thrown a 150 class Diamond? They are just stupid easy to get up and gliding. Very flippy, but don't feel like a paper plate like, say, some of the DX Leopard light weigh starter discs will.

Me? Yes I bagged a Diamond a few years ago and still occasionally miss it for ridiculous get-out-of-trouble shots. FWIW, all of my drivers are 150-class paper plates. :D

DX Leopard is an excellent suggestion.

I'll agree with a lot of what has already been said.

Nose angle is important for just about every shot but especially for a hyzer flip. Any nose up angle and flipping anything up will be problematic. The absolute flippiest disc I own is a well used Underworld and I can throw it on a sweeping hyzer that will barely try to stand up if I hyzer it with the nose up.

I play at altitude and don't have a big arm or distance. Discs that are almost automatic hyzer flip discs for me are flippy fairway drivers like the Underworld, Heat, Diamond, Insanity, etc. The Heat might be my favorite because it will pop up, drift a little right, and almost always come back a little at the end. The Streamline Drift is also an excellent option and I really like it for that flip up to dead straight 300' shot.

Grab something with a -2 or -3 turn and just go practice.

Also, tailwinds make the hyzer flip more difficult so maybe avoid trying them with a stiff tailwind.

Me? Yes I bagged a Diamond a few years ago and still occasionally miss it for ridiculous get-out-of-trouble shots. FWIW, all of my drivers are 150-class paper plates. :D

DX Leopard is an excellent suggestion.

Diamond is a great suggestion

I would suggest an Innova Road Runner and Sidewinder. Both slow speed and beginner friendly. For me the Road Runner is my go to roller disc.

I have lots of beat in putters, but I believe that they all started out way more stable than the flippy fairway drivers do out of the gate. They just don't tend to make putters with -4 turn. I've never had a Sonic though. Plus, with blunter noses to begin with, they don't beat in as much, I think?

I've thrown thousands of field shots and hyzer flip with my putters just doesn't tend to happen, whereas the flippy fairway drivers do it easily if I throw it right. Perhaps dreadlock is correct that I just ending up a little throwing nose up if I'm throwing my slower disc on hyzer. But, if that's the case, I'm finding it easier not to make that mistake with the faster discs.

Just curious, but have you ever actually thrown a 150 class Diamond? They are just stupid easy to get up and gliding. Very flippy, but don't feel like a paper plate like, say, some of the DX Leopard light weigh starter discs will. It fairly quickly became too flippy to use regularly, but it's always a hit for brand new players I take out.

Most flippy putters are not really flippy, you are right. If a newer player wants to hyzerflip with ease then go 165-170 gram DX Mirage or Stingray something like that. You only need to throw 225-250 to get a hyzerflip with something like that. Even 200 might be enough.

Latest posts