• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

Those are some pretty awesome Teebirds. I love the plastic and the profile of these 'birds. Got three of those, all at 171g.

I went with a little heavier in grams to compensate for any chunks/breaking in/seasoning it would go through while on its way to hitting that sweet spot.

I think you may be suprised how much plastic you need to chunk off to lose 2 grams.

I think you may be suprised how much plastic you need to chunk off to lose 2 grams.

Thats not the point. Are you being sarcastic or literal? :)

Much better to start with an overstable disc (heavier weight) that beats into straight than a straighter disc (lighter weight) that beats into flippy, unless that is the goal. You don't buy a heavy disc thinking that it's going to get lighter, and I doubt the person you quoted meant that.

Much better to start with an overstable disc (heavier weight) that beats into straight than a straighter disc (lighter weight) that beats into flippy, unless that is the goal. You don't buy a heavy disc thinking that it's going to get lighter, and I doubt the person you quoted meant that.

A max weight champion teebird will become your best friend after a couple of seasons.

Did you read his post? Compensate for chunking...? I read it as, I wanted my beat tb to be close to max weight so that it will continue to retain some of the characteristics we associate with a max weight disc, like the ability to hold a line in breezy conditions.

I've heard people (even pros) spout the myth that the reason discs become less stable as they get beat up is because they're losing weight. I've pretty much proven for myself that this is untrue since I've weighed several of my own very beat, very flippy discs and found them to be within a gram of their original weights. Still, I think there are some people out there who believe this.

What does a bit of dome do to teebirds? Just picked up a few stars and haven't been able to toss them yet. PLH is right on with my other star & gstar, but quite a bit more dome.

What should I expect from these?

My experience is TB's change more with PLH than dome overall. My older domey champs aren't very stable at high speed, but they also have pretty low PLH. My newest star with any dome to it is about the same flight as a flat star, maybe a touch more glide.

What does a bit of dome do to teebirds? Just picked up a few stars and haven't been able to toss them yet. PLH is right on with my other star & gstar, but quite a bit more dome.

Makes them awesome. I've always preferred Teebirds with a slight dome... Not too overstable and gives them the glide a good 'bird should have.

Makes them awesome. I've always preferred Teebirds with a slight dome... Not too overstable and gives them the glide a good 'bird should have.

Hoping you are right. If it has more glide than my current (flattish) star - then I will definitely be in love.

It really varies. I've had domey flip machines and meathooks, the same as flat. I think its more about personal preference. I like my birds with some dome but not a lot, for me its about feel in the hand more than anything

I've heard people (even pros) spout the myth that the reason discs become less stable as they get beat up is because they're losing weight. I've pretty much proven for myself that this is untrue since I've weighed several of my own very beat, very flippy discs and found them to be within a gram of their original weights. Still, I think there are some people out there who believe this.

It may only be a gram or two but it's taken off the two most critical edges which increase stability (especially non beaded drivers). Far outer rim (flashing) and bottom rim edge where it cuts 90 degrees toward the flight plate. Take a new stable disc, throw it enough to know where it's at then grind it lightly on some rough concrete. First, flat, top side up then around the outer edge flashing and throw it again. You will note a substantial loss in stability. I would say this wear accounts for half or more of otherwise long term stability loss. Also, anything with a bead will eventually grind the bead completely off if thrown enough.

It may only be a gram or two but it's taken off the two most critical edges which increase stability (especially non beaded drivers). Far outer rim (flashing) and bottom rim edge where it cuts 90 degrees toward the flight plate. Take a new stable disc, throw it enough to know where it's at then grind it lightly on some rough concrete. First, flat, top side up then around the outer edge flashing and throw it again. You will note a substantial loss in stability. I would say this wear accounts for half or more of otherwise long term stability loss. Also, anything with a bead will eventually grind the bead completely off if thrown enough.

LOL. You're totally just perpetuating the (mis) perception that discs loose weight. The point we're making is that those things don't actually take off a measurable amount of weight. If you don't believe us, get a scale. Take a brand new disc, weight it, then beat the ever loving tar out of it and weight it again. I highly doubt you will have taken grams off the weight. You're not wrong in terms of the wear you're describing causing stability lose, you're just wrong in thinking that your taking measurable grams off the disc.

Yes my point was that it's not the weight loss that makes a disc lose stability. I have no doubt that grinding certain parts of the disc to change its shape will change the stability but it's not particularly the weight loss but the change in shape that does it in that case.

Picked up a new thrower this past weekend. This one definitely feels/looks more like the candy pro plastic than the 'normal' KC Pro plastic. Not sure if its more of a rarity or just unique to this color and specific run.

DVmVosCl.jpg

These are the two Teebirds I bag. The Huk Lab is stable-er and weighs 175g, the swirly is stable-understable and weighs 171g.

I can't tell if I like the Pro Teebirds I picked up. The glide is incredible but the durability is a concern. I've been known to hit a tree or two (or three) with my drives. I suppose I got these knowing this ahead of time - the idea being that a Pro Teebird would season quickly and turn into a good roller disc. Any of you gents have experience rolling the 'birds?

I can't tell if I like the Pro Teebirds I picked up. The glide is incredible but the durability is a concern. I've been known to hit a tree or two (or three) with my drives. I suppose I got these knowing this ahead of time - the idea being that a Pro Teebird would season quickly and turn into a good roller disc. Any of you gents have experience rolling the 'birds?

I love rolling birds. It depends how they break in. The ones that make the best rollers (in my opinion) are the ones that keep a decent hookup at the end of their flight but are high speed flippy. That's just my preference tho.

I never use these in the woods,but they are more for wide open shots. Reason being is they are DX.

I have a Glow Teebird that has a slight dome and it has the prettiest S-Shot.My other one is just a regular DX,but it is flat as a board and is a line holder. It will not go right any. You just throw it hard and it hits that line and holds it. I think If I keep using these just for more of the wide open shots with minimal chance for hitting a tree.They should hold their form for a long time.

I carry a Star and a Champ that I throw in the Woods.

Love my Teebirds :hfive: