• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

yj3hF1tl.jpg

Newest teebird to the line up, Champ teebird 171 :)

I have a question for those teebird experts. When talking about 11x champ teebirds. What's the difference between the cal mold teebirds and the ca mold teebirds. Do the cal ones tend to be more overstable? Or what?

The CAL tooling is the older of the two. It's usually most easily identified by being a vibrant, clear, candy plastic. They tended to mold up with less shoulder and decently flat. They do tend to be more overstable than the newer, CA tooled 11Xs. The thing to remember, though, is that there was more than one run of TeeBird during the 11X era so these are generalities more than gospel.

Also, CALs tend to carry a higher price point than the CAs. Can't speak to decent figures though, sorry.

Something else that needs to be said is that the current runs of JL TeeBirds are every bit as good as the old 11Xs. Save your money and build a stock of what you can get off the shelf.

CAL molds are genreally much flatter and definately FASTER than CA's and current TBs.
I'm a CAL feind, but the differences are subtle.

And how much do each (cal and ca) tend to sell for? Or is that question for another thread?
Obviously there are many variables but assuming max weight, no fly-dye, good condition...

CAL - ~$40-50 and beyond depending on color/stamp

CA - ~$30-40ish. Maybe a little higher depending on color/stamp. Definitely not as sought after as the CAL's.

The CAL tooling is the older of the two. It's usually most easily identified by being a vibrant, clear, candy plastic. They tended to mold up with less shoulder and decently flat. They do tend to be more overstable than the newer, CA tooled 11Xs. The thing to remember, though, is that there was more than one run of TeeBird during the 11X era so these are generalities more than gospel.

Also, CALs tend to carry a higher price point than the CAs. Can't speak to decent figures though, sorry.

Something else that needs to be said is that the current runs of JL TeeBirds are every bit as good as the old 11Xs. Save your money and build a stock of what you can get off the shelf.

QFT.

JL TeeBirds are the Steve Brinster jolly launcher TeeBirds, correct?

Some of them are.

I'll take your old 11x's ;)

No, the stock stamps. The Brinsters are solid too though.

Is there a way to tell the JL plastic from the older champ? Is it just that they are a little more candy colored and a little more pliable? I know the molds with the Roc3/Tern style stamp are JL, but it is the other molds that still have the old style stamp that I am curious about.

Is there a way to tell the JL plastic from the older champ? Is it just that they are a little more candy colored and a little more pliable? I know the molds with the Roc3/Tern style stamp are JL, but it is the other molds that still have the old style stamp that I am curious about.
JL plastic is very transparent and stiff.

Pretty much all champ on shelves now is JL

This. It is usually transparent and stiff like Anon mentioned, but really Jolly Launcher is just the term they're using for their current Champion plastic blend. Erich at the Proshop told me that over the phone, and I have no reason to believe he was lying to me. I asked him about it because I got an opaque (and wonderfully pearly!) Circle Stamp Champ Cheetah and asked if it was really JL.

JL plastic is very transparent and stiff.

The earliest JL was very stiff, but I have a JL TB that is a few months old that has a bit of give.

Jay Dub posted a picture of a JL Beast a few years back that imo is the quintessential example of jolly launcher. Let's see if I can find it..