• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

Have you guys seen the newer flat runs of champ teebirds? This dayglow jl 12x teebird flies like a fresh 11x kc pro. Nice stab stable hard flat rip goes straight with fade, holds long ass hyzer lines with good skip. Flex shots. Thing is glorious!

Yea there are some really good ones floating around right now. Just picked up a beautiful, light blue, semi soft pearly 12x that is awesome.

My understable fairway drivers are broken in DX teebirds. You can find them in lighter weights if needed but a max weight broken in DX would turn for most players. If you don't like the DX it could be a placeholder till you break in a star teebird

:thmbup: Exact same thing I'm doing. Slightly seasoned dx teebirds are great in that understandable slot until something else is ready.

Have you guys seen the newer flat runs of champ teebirds? This dayglow jl 12x teebird flies like a fresh 11x kc pro. Nice stab stable hard flat rip goes straight with fade, holds long ass hyzer lines with good skip. Flex shots. Thing is glorious!

So I carry that 12x, broken in champ 11x, broken in star tb pfn and a really beat to **** star for my fairway shots. Teebird for lyfe

Yes, I just picked up a barely used 12x one off facebook and it's great. It might kick my 11x out of the main bag. Either way, an excellent backup for 10 bucks.

Wonder if the JL, TLs are flat? I wish they would make those flat star Sandstrom Valks in Champion plastic...

Yeah I don't think 11x TeeBirds come any cheaper than Brinster TeeBirds and I've got a couple backup Brinsters already so I think I'll keep those in the OS slot. I'm sure if I lost all of them I could find production run max weight JL TeeBirds just as OS for a reasonable price. I could use a Valk or Mamba in the US slot, but those are wider-rimmed discs and I'd rather keep my fairways in the speed 6-8 range for more control and fairway type distance.

Are you looking for something cheaper for the in-between slot for yourself or for me? AJ TeeBirds are slightly more expensive b/c you have to buy off the Factory Store, but I have a couple max weight, production Star TeeBirds that fly very similar to my AJ now (not as OS as the AJ was when it was new but stable enough to fill its current role). The EchoStar TeeBird is very straight for me and also not very expensive to replace (mine is actually a factory second so even cheaper to replace).

I think my lineup is honestly not that hard to replace except the PFN 150 TeeBird/PFN 164 TL in the US slot. Of course I could just take a chance on a production run lighter TeeBird/TL in that slot if I lose both of them, which is probably what I will do eventually.

Myself. I like 4x jk pro Valks but I don't like throwing anything I can't easily replace for cheap. I don't think the rim is very large at all on Valks. Perfect compliment to a fresh champ t-bird. Also can fill the understable driver slot. I have had a 4x JK in my bag for the past 4+ years now and I am realizing it's the last disc in my bag that is collectable which = pricey. I think the newer JL TBs are pretty nice and may replace my 11x ones. Thanks to the factory store, Gators are becoming reasonably priced too...

How does one find a good jl teebird online these days?

Wade at disc golf center is great at answering emails. If not just order a stock champ from any popular site that has decent turnover. I haven't seen a jl teebird recently that wasn't reasonably flat and beefy looking.

Bagging two right now. One 168 champ, rim great shape, but acts beat in as it has been used. Stamp is worn. Flies like a dream when going for controlled lazer straight shots at about 350. Crank too hard, or headwind, and there is a chance of turnover. Also bagging a fresh champ 175. Crank this one, it is still fading right hard at about 350. I generally use my Eagle for shots that I could use the fresh Teebird for.

How overstable are the newer runs of brinster birds?

First run, before the circle USDGC stamps, are the beefiest. 2nd run, original stamp with circle USDGC stamp, are just as beefy and sometimes a tiny bit less no real difference.

New stamp/ third runs are noticeably less stable compared to 1st and 2nd runs. they are still a lot beefier, or stay a lot more overstable for longer, than current jolly launchers.

Then again the new jolly launcher birds even in lighter weights can be very very overstable.

Well I got one of the newer champ Teebirds with all the beefy traits...mellow shoulder with flattish/mild dome and high wing. Its wing is ~1mm higher than my star Teebird. I thought it would be stable/overstable, but it's really just overstable. I throw my star in the 350-375' range in the field and it has some drift to it for sure, with minimal fade. This thing is so stable I have trouble getting it past 325' in the 10 or so throws I've gave it. It has absolutely zero turn, it just holds the release angle like crazy, and will get some skip. It has more in common to my champ Firebird than my star Teebird. Almost hit a skip ace with it already, and the star will barely even move after hitting the ground in comparison.

I'm just wondering is this what a "good" champ should be like, that people look for...or is this on the super beefy end? This is what I would expect a Brinster to be like after hearing all the talk about those but never throwing one. Like a more workable Firebird that has less fade, but still holds any angle. Also will it mellow out a bit if I thrash it with some pavement skip shots and trees for a while or is this thing likely always going to be a pretty OS beast?

I've thrown some champ Teebirds that hold straight for a long time with a bit of a hook fade at the very end, where this thing goes straight then 2/3 the way in starts that C-shape drift then fade time. Very beef.

sounds like you've got a good champ. over the years that will season in to straight and remain there forever.

to give a sense of time, however, just remember that's why the 11x cal mold teebirds are so well loved. flat and overstable tb that seasoned into straight. expect to be waiting for a very long time. until then i'd suggest a gstar.

i personally have not seasoned a champ tb into perfectly straight but i've bought some already used and they are deeeelicious. haven't bought any trashed current runs though.

sounds like you've got a good champ. over the years that will season in to straight and remain there forever.

to give a sense of time, however, just remember that's why the 11x cal mold teebirds are so well loved. flat and overstable tb that seasoned into straight. expect to be waiting for a very long time. until then i'd suggest a gstar.

i personally have not seasoned a champ tb into perfectly straight but i've bought some already used and they are deeeelicious. haven't bought any trashed current runs though.

Sounds like I'll use it for longer Firebird duty for some time then. Hyzer shots, spikes, skips, etc...give it lots of use to try to mellow it out a bit. I'll use my SPD for the same range as the star Teebird for shots that need to put up with wind or not drift...I was hoping the champ 12x would be more in this type of range but slightly shorter, instead it's got significantly more beef than expected.

It seems like it will be a good disc as a mellow but trustworthy Firebird is something most players would love to have...it just wasn't quite what I was expecting to get. I have thrown a beat up 11x (not sure which mold) and it was very straight to a mellow end, it would be amazing if this got to that point. Sounds like I'll just abuse it and not feel bad if it'll be that stable for a while.

Also...the bottom edge of the wing is very vertical (the bottom 1mm), where my star is rounded a bit on this edge...is this a mold difference or a grinding thing to get rid of flash...or any idea?

I haven't bagged a Firebird since I put a 2013 Brinster Bird in the bag. The only thing I could probably do a little better with a Firebird is skip shots where I need lots of right to left movement but mostly the Brinster does everything I need in that slot. It's been in the bag 2 years and still nowhere close to straight. I think you got a similar teebird and they are great for that slot.

I haven't bagged a Firebird since I put a 2013 Brinster Bird in the bag. The only thing I could probably do a little better with a Firebird is skip shots where I need lots of right to left movement but mostly the Brinster does everything I need in that slot. It's been in the bag 2 years and still nowhere close to straight. I think you got a similar teebird and they are great for that slot.

Yeah this may be the case. I'll throw it some more and reevaluate where it fits in my bag or if it will get lots of asphalt FH roller practice. It is nice to have discs at 30-50' intervals that you know exactly where they max out every time, so you can just check your distance, throw it hard, and know what happens. Plus I don't particularly like powering down Firebirds on backhands too much, so the drop to the speed 7 does make a difference there. It's funny though how the speed 7 one goes further than the 9. I doubt this TB will care about anything short of a hurricane, then between hurricane and tornado it goes to Firebird.

I haven't bagged a Firebird since I put a 2013 Brinster Bird in the bag. ... I think you got a similar teebird and they are great for that slot.

Heard a guy on my home course say that some people love Teebirds and some love Firebirds, and that's it's an "either-or" thing: they like one but not the other. Dunno how true that is, but I can see the concept of it...

Heard a guy on my home course say that some people love Teebirds and some love Firebirds, and that's it's an "either-or" thing: they like one but not the other. Dunno how true that is, but I can see the concept of it...

what? having both is useful. its like having a gator and a roc.

Hmmm, I kind of doubt that is true in a lot of cases, but for some people maybe it is. I know lots of people who bag both: Teebirds as a workhorse fairway and Firebirds for headwind, skips, and utility shots. Some people probably do use Firebirds as their workhorse disc for fairway shots though, especially those that throw predominantly forehand since you need a more OS disc for forehands. Also, I'd guess it might depend on how windy the area is that you play and how far you throw. If you don't play in super windy areas, an OS champ Teebird or a Brinster is going to fill the OS slot pretty well unless you throw super far or have really bad form.

Latest posts