• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
lol i normally play like 98 percent sidearm and 2 percent reg. and it still doesn't work with the ****fire.

Yea right!!! Got rid of quite a few champion and pro starfires cause they hate me. My Pro Katana makes the starfire look like a toys-r-us frisbee.

Yeah right!!! Your Pro-Katana flips up and turns over into the ground after hitting 3 trees where-as I'm pushing my Champ Starfire out to 375'!!!

Long ago, I used the Groove for my forehand drives. It's still the distance king for me, but I no longer own one because a slight mistake with it left me in really bad shape. I use a Boss, Destroyer, Wraith or a Force on my forehand drives now. The Boss will go the farthest and a small form mistake won't send it to another fairway, as would commonly happen with the Groove.

Good luck with it. I won't buy one... I would sell it or give it away if I found one.

im gonna stick with my valks and surge as my main drivers but the groove will come out from time to time

i used to throw a 171 groove a lot back in the day. when there was no wind i could bomb that thing...but only when there was no wind

Monarch + Groove = Innova Marketing Scheme:mad:

Good thing they introduced the Echo Star Boss

Really ?

The groove in both discs allowed Innova to make wide rims with lighter weights, in premium plastics.
Just because you can't throw either one doesn't make them a marketing scheme.

On the other hand, Echo Star :rolleyes: is purely a marketing scheme designed to make tree huggers feel warm and fuzzy about buying discs for 2 dollars more money than regular Star models.

Now go hug your spendy Echo Star Boss, and excuse me while I go laugh about it.

the groove is one thing, but the monarch is a whole different can of beans....they fly really sweet when you get a hold of one.

Yeah, I like the Monarch. And Starfires. Y'all quit hatin'.

Not that I use the groove a lot, but I do carry one in my bag. There are certain lines that I need from time to time and the groove fills in nicely. Now the monarch on the other hand has become one of my go-to straight discs for me. Absolutely love it. Not everyone has the same throwing style, which is why there are so many different discs, I definately would NOT recommend a groove or monarch to a newb. but for those of us who have played a few years, some discs work, some don't. If it works for YOUR throwing style...GREAT!

I've never had a "terrible" disc that was new. Just fly differently. It's trendy to like and hate certain discs. I keep sayin' it, but when Valks debuted it was considered wimpy/weak/feminine disc. When C.Sandstrom threw one 820' feet, they showed up everywhere. In '04, the Orc displaced everything and there was Orc madness. I don't even hear about the Orc much nowadays. I haven't tossed a Groove. So what's SO bad? I never got much D with Starfires, but there was nothing wrong with it.
It's all a preference and what matches your power/speed/grip, etc.

Really ?

The groove in both discs allowed Innova to make wide rims with lighter weights, in premium plastics.
Just because you can't throw either one doesn't make them a marketing scheme.

On the other hand, Echo Star :rolleyes: is purely a marketing scheme designed to make tree huggers feel warm and fuzzy about buying discs for 2 dollars more money than regular Star models.

Now go hug your spendy Echo Star Boss, and excuse me while I go laugh about it.

Dang... you just got served.....:hfive::popcorn:

I've thrown the groove a few times, but not as much as I would like. When I did throw them I could get them really good distance, on a strong hyzer shot, but I never tried anything else. I think it's a kinda cool disc and would need to play with them a good bit more but I think all this hate is either just a fad and dumb.. Or people don't like the feeling of the wide groove.

not that i would....
but i would be intrigued as to what i could do with a seasoned groove, now that i am a much better player.

i call the Groove a "disc-tease" because everyone reads the write ups, gets intimidated by the Destroyer and Boss and settles on a groove, usually when they are a "newer" player, just because they want instant distance and hope the groove can provide. Which, invariably, because the disc new, is a meathook and becomes a miserable failure.

now, as i understand how a disc flies, disc usages, flight lines, and seasoning of discs, i am (very very slightly) curious about how a seasoned groove would fly. <- Basically, i am a disc-dork, love to experiment with discs, love to throw discs (even in a field), and am curious.....
*Note, this is only a curiosity, as i cant say that i've met very many top tier players that have one.... this, in itself, should and does speak volumes to me.

I met a player from the old days. He started playing decades ago, and he told me that the old discs were so bad (even the best ones) that none of them could hold a flat flight the entire flight. They would all crash no matter what. It was just a matter of getting the most out of the flight before they crashed. He said a 300 ft. throw was amazing.

Compared to the way it used to be, the Groove is a great disc: easy to throw, consistent, and reliable.

How did the legendary starfire get drug into this forum? The starfire is a totally different animal than the groove. The groove is unpredictable and it was designed for max D. The starfire is slower and as soon as it leaves your hand you know within 15' feet of where it's going to land. Much love for the starfire.

I met a player from the old days. He started playing decades ago, and he told me that the old discs were so bad (even the best ones) that none of them could hold a flat flight the entire flight. They would all crash no matter what. It was just a matter of getting the most out of the flight before they crashed. He said a 300 ft. throw was amazing.

Compared to the way it used to be, the Groove is a great disc: easy to throw, consistent, and reliable.

This may be one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this forum. :\

What you meant to say is: "The Groove is a great disc: Easy to throw because your crappy form wouldn't know the difference, consistently hyzers and fades too short unless there's a breeze and then it can't decide what the (expletive) to do, and reliably disappointing and easy to find thanks to how often they're lost and/or discarded." :p