• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
it may be only 260' but it's a blind shot

picture.php

The Steady Ed hole, right? I only played there once.

Well. The monarch looks similar and same cost, same make?

Looks similar, yes. It has the same groove cut out of the bottom of the wing (hence the name), but the rim is wider on the Groove than the Monarch. Groove is a higher speed driver.

I just got a brand new Monarch and will take it out this weekend for test flights. I'll fill you in on if it's Groove like or not afterwards.

It is similar looking and has a sorta groove underneath, but I doubt it's anywhere near as touchy as the Groove is.

LOL I am glad this thread is "making a comeback"...

I actually kind of learned to throw with the groove. I am realizing that I have fallen into this deep dark place called "noob land". It seems we noobs have been lulled into thinking more speed = grater distance, therefore, better game. I am learning more and more that it's all about form, finesse....

But still... i hear all the talk about the groove being very testy depending on where the nose is angled at release point, it's more a snap action and arm speed as opposed to big x step wind up throws. I realized this quickly, and therefore had to improve those things. I can throw my groove pretty well when I am "in my groove" LOL. but If I am off at all form wise, that disc can be very unforgiving! I now realize this in depth and have decided that for me the Groove has served as a great learning tool. Although it mostly stays tucked away in my bag, as I have mainly been throwing my Star Katana, it still does come out every now and then when I need to anhyzer throw.

Good deal. Thanks for putting up with another groove thread folks.

Same here. It was my first driver and actually did help me learn how to snap and control angles pretty well. I'm sure a Leo would've been better, but it isn't a bad learning tool!

The Steady Ed hole, right? I only played there once.

Well, kind of. That pic is the long tee. The short tee is along the tree line to the left, probably just out of view of the picture and the short is the last of the original layout done by Steady Ed.

I actually kinda want to seek out Steady Ed designed courses because of this hole and the course and see if there are similarities to how they are set up.

I just got a brand new Monarch and will take it out this weekend for test flights. I'll fill you in on if it's Groove like or not afterwards.

It is similar looking and has a sorta groove underneath, but I doubt it's anywhere near as touchy as the Groove is.

The champ Monarch flies straight with a little drift right, then falls off with a medium fade. You have to throw them a bit anhyzer out of the box to get them to fly the way the numbers claim it flies.

Definitely not Groove like. I could get it to turn and fade as needed. It's fast as hell, too.

The champ Monarch flies straight with a little drift right, then falls off with a medium fade. You have to throw them a bit anhyzer out of the box to get them to fly the way the numbers claim it flies.

Definitely not Groove like. I could get it to turn and fade as needed. It's fast as hell, too.

I think the monarch is a great disc, its like a slower katana, and a very consistent mold.
Great OH disc - on a tall arc it'll flip, pancake flat, and just stick
Great understable FH disc too - I get long slow turns that end really straight (~169, or I'll get a little more fade off my 174/5s)

it's nothing special, some might like the grip, others (most) seem to hate it. it flies like a big clumsy driver. a lot of noobs are seduced by the gimmicky rim shape and i suspect that's the source of its bad rep (and people who've tried throwing it).

Personally, I thought the disc was kind of so-so, but dropped an ace with it on a 250' hole, so i really cant complain tooo much..

although, since i rarely used it, I just wen't ahead and retired it.

Guy I know repeatedly goes to this disc off the tee, and then after promptly ditching it in some awful rough says, "got too much edge on it", or "didn't get enough edge on it", or "too much g*ddamn edge!"

WTF?

I ask him what he means and he replies, "you know, edge. On edge?" like its the most obvious thing in the world and he is dumbfounded I don't understand. :doh:

i'm a newb, started last october, and i guess that's why i love my 167 groove. i started using it for shots that needed to go hard left, but now it has a great S curve and goes 340' for me. (This is probably more to do with me refining technique than the disc breaking in)

i have a fair amount of natural power and big hands... so I might just be the oddball 5% that like this disc.

Nothing like a groove. It is a really nice stable to understable fairway driver that is quite fast. Although it is not a regular in my bag, I rather enjoy it for what it is.

Mine is actually exactly stable, but I just got it so that isn't a big surprise.

With a little wear, it'll drift into it's proper numbers.

Latest posts