• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] From hype to horror-DON'T POST A GROOVE THREAD UNTIL YOU READ THIS!

Do you hate the groove

• YES(Always)

Votes: 221 52.7%
  • NO(Never)

Votes: 138 32.9%
  • SOMETIMES(When it doesnt do what you want it to...but you still throw it)

Votes: 60 14.3%

• Total voters
Wow

I feel like so many people on these forums would rather flaunt their knowledge of the game then try to answer some of the newer players legitimate questions. I am a beginning player that has fallen in love with the sport so quick I have accumulated an impressive collection of discs very quickly. I would just go out into a field for hours and toss every disc in my bag over and over again until I determined the different flight characteristics of each discs and decided which ones were best suited to my style in different situations. I did not start out on leopards or any of the other "beginner" discs and find myself regularly using so many discs that get such a bad wrap. But you know, I can throw my Groove (OH NOOO) very Consistently for long straight s curve drives (No problem turning over with a little speed) and can even throw a very long distance, accurate anhyzer that holds a straight line and ends with a very predictable low speed turn when necessary. It preforms very similar to my Katanas but It does have a strange enlarged groove underneath the lip that some people might find uncomfortable. I find It also makes a valuable tomahawk disc if you need something to make it through a heavily wooded area as the Groove in champion plastic is a very solid, firm disc. I have two grooves in the champion plastic and I do not notice any differences between the two as other people have mentioned earlier in the thread. Both mine seem tobe consistent with one another and I notice that while I prefer most of my drivers under 170 my 172 Grove seems to be more controllable than my lighter one in the same champion plastic. The grove is a good reliable long range driver but really does take a lot of arm strength to live up to its 13 speed rating. If you loose accuracy dramatically when going for maximum power go for something like a lighter katana, which gives me the same results but does not require so much arm force off the tee.

I prefer the Roc that sank sinbad's ship

images

I'm somewhat glad to see this thread. Today was my 2nd-ever time playing disc golf; the first being last weekend! I got a few discs for Christmas (Dart, Wolf, Beast) and picked up a few more at random (Aviar, Champion Groove, Champion Spider) just to compare.

I realize my newness doesn't qualify me to judge anything yet, but I consistently found the Groove unforgiving. (the Spider seemed to work the best for me)

Not sure if I should kick it out of the bag, or keep experimenting since I'm so new...

I can throw my Groove (OH NOOO) very Consistently for long straight s curve drives (No problem turning over with a little speed) and can even throw a very long distance, accurate anhyzer that holds a straight line and ends with a very predictable low speed turn when necessary. It preforms very similar to my Katanas but It does have a strange enlarged groove underneath the lip that some people might find uncomfortable. I find It also makes a valuable tomahawk disc if you need something to make it through a heavily wooded area as the Groove in champion plastic is a very solid, firm disc. I have two grooves in the champion plastic and I do not notice any differences between the two as other people have mentioned earlier in the thread. Both mine seem tobe consistent with one another and I notice that while I prefer most of my drivers under 170 my 172 Grove seems to be more controllable than my lighter one in the same champion plastic. The grove is a good reliable long range driver

Go buy 5 more in the same weights and try them. One of the major issues with them is huge variances between each disc. You found to close to the same now find 5 more. I have one I will trade to ya with a decent dye on it...

I'm somewhat glad to see this thread. Today was my 2nd-ever time playing disc golf; the first being last weekend! I got a few discs for Christmas (Dart, Wolf, Beast) and picked up a few more at random (Aviar, Champion Groove, Champion Spider) just to compare.

I realize my newness doesn't qualify me to judge anything yet, but I consistently found the Groove unforgiving. (the Spider seemed to work the best for me)

Not sure if I should kick it out of the bag, or keep experimenting since I'm so new...

You'll really grow to love that beast! As far as the groove goes, every new player picks up a superfast disc out of awe and the absolute best use you can put it to is learning the flex shot. Some will disagree with me, but I learned to flex other discs by throwing a groove that was way too fast for me. If you through RHBH, throw that sucker at a good 30 - 45 degree anhyzer and watch it go right hard and then come swinging back. As you get used to the motion you'll be able to transfer it to other discs. Try it! ANY disc can be used for nearly any purpose with the right approach!

Cant believe this thread is still going. lol. Well, for the past few weeks I have been using my new champion leopard and champion teebird. I have taken out my vulcans and my Nuke and have not used them since. I use my beat up wraith every now and then. But I am very comfortable throwing the teebird, leopard and buzzz. My game has improved quit a bit these last few weeks. Went from shooting +25 consistently (horrible I know) to today's best round of +15. Shooting for lower next time out. I feel a lot more comfortable throwing then I did a month ago.

Cant believe this thread is still going. lol. Well, for the past few weeks I have been using my new champion leopard and champion teebird. I have taken out my vulcans and my Nuke and have not used them since. I use my beat up wraith every now and then. But I am very comfortable throwing the teebird, leopard and buzzz. My game has improved quit a bit these last few weeks. Went from shooting +25 consistently (horrible I know) to today's best round of +15. Shooting for lower next time out. I feel a lot more comfortable throwing then I did a month ago.

My last time out, I was +6 through 3 when I decided to stop keeping track because it was too depressing. I'm pretty sure it got worse from there, lol. But I had fun, and that's all that matters.

Wow, 9 hours at work and 6 pages of posts happen. I didn't read them all but I get the point that everyone is trying to make. I am going to put my Vulcan, Wraith, and Nuke away. I ordered a teebird and leopard and start using my roc and buzz for drives. I am going to work on my form (which I know needs a lot of work). Wish I had found this site before I started playing. I wasn't trying to say I wasn't a beginner, but I'm not terrible. I have come along way in 2 months and I'm sure I'll go a lot further with this advice. So thank you all for the input.

:thmbup:

disc down is the answer to all your problems... find the thread, read it live it love it ...your game will thank you...

I WISH i had known that when i started

also check out the noob sticky for a really great place to ask questions and get GOOD straight forwards answers and avoid the flames...

i throw my groove everytime on hole 16 at tittabawassee and i hit metal 7/10 times. still no ace yet. i just let it go at about 3/4 power and it finds its way there. this hole goes around to the left at a pretty nice rate but i keep it in the bag for that hole hahaha.

i throw my groove everytime on hole 16 at tittabawassee and i hit metal 7/10 times. still no ace yet. i just let it go at about 3/4 power and it finds its way there. this hole goes around to the left at a pretty nice rate but i keep it in the bag for that hole hahaha.

metal 7/10?

that is a bold percentage

Chances are that if you have one disc in your bag for one specific hole, you could probably use another disc on it and not have to carry that one disc.

I'd rather have a heavier bag if it gave me a 70-80% chance of metal than a light bag and suck.

The point was that the shot that the Groove was being used for could be accomplished by a number of discs. So, you could just use your OS midrange or if you really want to use a high speed driver, just use one you use for something else as well. Then you don't have a disc that is in your bag only for that one shot, for which you could easily use something else you already have.

Latest posts