• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

frustration

Uncle Dougie

Double Eagle Member
In my attempts to gain better accuracy with my distances I've been driving with my eagles and rocs. Toying around with my pd's too. I'd like to get to the point where I can crush eagles and pd's 400'+ on command without the aid of high speed drivers. I'm able to hit 340' to 350' fairly consistantly with the eagle and slightly less with my rocs on a good day. It just gets me so frustrated when I play with guys who haven't been playing much longer than I have throwing blizzard's and other discs (too many to mention) 50' farther than my drives and droppin' in dueces like it was nothing. I'm trying to do things the right way and it's like why even bother if I can just pick up these other discs and hit 400' with no effort? These guys are playing in leagues with the best players on the course and taking money. What the heck! Sorry for my rant guys, but I'm just getting very annoyed with my game right now. Anyone else have any similar rants or am I just getting my panties in a bunch? :\

Well it's not much of a surprise that other dudes are throwing Blizzard Bosses 50' past your Eagles. It's pointless to try and push your Eagles to 100% on the course when you can just throw a faster disc at 75% and park the same shot.

Even top pros like Climo and Feldberg often disc up to something like a Destroyer or Xcal for 350'-400' hyzers, or an Eagle for 300'-350' because they are so freaking reliable for that shot. Most people who refer to their max distance on here are not talking about strategy while actually playing.

It's one thing to try and push your max D by doing field work, but intentionally giving up strokes on the course based on some principle is dumb, especially when you're playing for money.

I wish I could throw that far too. But I probably never will, and that's ok. You don't have to be the best at this game to enjoy it. Relax and go throw plastic in a park with some people.

It's one thing to try and push your max D by doing field work, but intentionally giving up strokes on the course based on some principle is dumb, especially when you're playing for money.

When I am playing leagues or when it does count I do use the faster stuff like a pro destroyer, etc. Mostly just casual rounds where it shouldn't matter is where I'm getting bothered. I get what you're saying though. Thanks. ;)

Last edited:
I see people throw Blizzards and Destroyers all the time.
I get a little frustrated at the times when they hit an early tree and then park the 350' upshot for a par.
But then there's all the bogeys and doubles they get because they can't control the darn Blizzard...
I still beat them, most of the time, and I still can't throw past 275'.
I play wooded courses (NC) mostly, so it's control over distance for me.

I see people throw Blizzards and Destroyers all the time.
I get a little frustrated at the times when they hit an early tree and then park the 350' upshot for a par.
But then there's all the bogeys and doubles they get because they can't control the darn Blizzard...
I still beat them, most of the time, and I still can't throw past 275'.
I play wooded courses (NC) mostly, so it's control over distance for me.

That's a great point. I live in flat, open country, and most of our courses are flat and open. I don't have the form for 400+ throws, so I run a doubles league at a newer wooded, watery course where most holes are <300 ft. As long as I can play smooth and controlled, I can compete with the guys with cannons. I'm still working on developing a longer game, though.

I am in the same boat, so i keep working on the distance and practice my pitting like a mad man. That is where i am keeping up with them. They will ave a 80-100 second shot where i will have 100/130. THey will often miss the long putt and I will drop my approach under the pin. If i do manage to keep up on the drives I am killing them with my putting. It sucks to be shorter than them all the time, but it will come.

Hysell has said time and time again that accuracy and putting has been the source of his long-term success, not bombing discs.

As soon as another player playing his game upsets you while you are playing your game, he has an acute advantage against you. That is the strongest weapon you can give an opponent.

In actuality, the difference in 350 and 400 ft drives is very minimal on a typical course. I would say that 50ft might account for only 1-2 strokes a round. That can be easily made up if you keep your head, or more easily exaggerated if you allow slight differences like that shake your mindset or change your approach to the round.

Yeah, you get to where you have to decide if you want to put all of the work in to technique and mess up your game for a few months or just say "screw it" and learn to control the faster discs a bit better. Going from 350'-360' with an Eagle to 400' will take some work and you'll likely have to rethink your throw. It almost never "just happens" where you break that plateau just by throwing the discs.

If you look at Dan Beto's rating, in 2008, when he started hitting 450' with Teebirds and made that video his rating was ~914. It didn't reach 940 until June that year (6+ months after he made the video, longer since he got it "figured out"). He stayed there for a year until he started really seeing the types of improvements you'd expect out of world class distance like that. What I'm getting at is that your time frame for the improvements you expect is probably way too short. You'll have to first dedicate yourself to learning to throw farther, then dedicate yourself to gaining consistency with your new technique, then you'll finally start to really see the benefits in your score. Throwing slower discs is only a part of what's required for that to happen.

I think Josh hit it on the head when he said "reliable". I know many pro's that have taylored their shot and disc selections based on consistency and reliability. Personally, I can throw a buzzz around 400' but if I'm looking at a wide open 375' shot I'm tossing a firebird on a nice hyzer because it will go towards the basket EVERY time. The only question is how long of a putt am I going to have.

I've heard Climo complain about it but you are seeing more and more players rely on simple hyzer shots. They are developing their forehand game to a level that they are able to look at a vast majority of shots and throw a disc on a hyzer line to get there. Its just so predictable. Even in the woods, if you get slowed down by some leaves or nick a tree it still wants to fade in the direction of the basket, unlike a anhyzer shot.

So I'm not whole-hog on the disc-down bandwagon (though I understand some of the point). Discing up can be a predictable/reliable way of getting to the basket in many situations.

I'll put it to you this way. I've always been a thrower with a pretty big arm. I sat down one day and asked why I was getting beat by all these people throwing Nukes on holes I reach with a mid. I started paying attention to how I was being beat and wear I was losing strokes and it was all putting. I have been focusing on putting for about a month and I'm killing it now. You can make up 50 feet on an upshot, but if you can't putt from 30, you're done. The last bit of distance is the most important.

I'll put it to you this way. I've always been a thrower with a pretty big arm. I sat down one day and asked why I was getting beat by all these people throwing Nukes on holes I reach with a mid. I started paying attention to how I was being beat and wear I was losing strokes and it was all putting. I have been focusing on putting for about a month and I'm killing it now. You can make up 50 feet on an upshot, but if you can't putt from 30, you're done. The last bit of distance is the most important.

Nice way of putting it. So, basically if throwing a nuke and playing a skip on a 300' hole will warrant me a better chance at a deuce, then i should take it?

what you should do is throw the disc that will get you closest to the hole

if you misthrow a Nuke/Destroyer will you be further from the hole than if you misthrew an Eagle or PD?

I doubt many people would really recommend throwing a Nuke on a 300 foot hole

Chaz's point is if you land 50 feet shorter with an Eagle than the guy throwing the Nuke such that he is 25 feet away and you are 75 feet away

the only way the other guy is beating you is if he is making the putt

if he doesn't make the putt but leaves a drop in and you up shot to within 10-15 feet and can easily can that putt then what did it matter if he threw a Nuke and you an Eagle

Chaz's point is that bottom line it is the putting within the circle that makes the difference and not the disc that got you there

get a faster driver without any high speed turn ( no orcs , destroyers , wraiths, etc...

if you cant throw something overstable in max weight get something lighter

if you want accuracy and distance overstable all the way bro

Latest posts