• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

That's what I heard over and over here. Tried it. And went with the Westside Shield. The Shield worked better in windy conditions, went 10m further and felt better in my hands. Now my children play with the Wizards because of the stamp...

Good thing about that is that there are so many out there. If you can't find a run to do what you want you didn't look. That being said it isn't THE putter for everyone. Trilogy putters are just as much a specialty and if they cater to your needs than that is great!

The newer stuff is better, more consistent. Feels more "on point" I guess I'd say.

Sounds good :) . . Do you prefer Platinum to Diamond as a thrower? . . I have one Nikko Diamond Magic and it´s very stiff/hard, is all the Diamond that "hard"?

Sounds good :) . . Do you prefer Platinum to Diamond as a thrower? . . I have one Nikko Diamond Magic and it´s very stiff/hard, is all the Diamond that "hard"?

My diamond prophecy isn't hard. It's got some flex to it, similar to Lucid plastic with a little more grip. I thought I just saw Gateway describe their new platinum plastic as more stiff than diamond, but I can't find that now. I have a platinum blend of one of their new proto drivers on the way, so I can let you know how that feels when I get it.

All of their new plastics feel great though. I got one of their new special blend glow drivers, and I really like it. Kind of a combination of the feel/grip of R-Pro, with stiffness of a firm driver pro or star plastic.

my Nikko Diamond Magic is alot harder/stiffer than Lucid/champion with less grip. . strange

The putters mold up a bit differently it seems. I throw a D Glow Prophecy and its flexy with kind of a stiff rim. The one duamond Wizard I have thrown was nothing special IMO it felt like champ. I didn't like it and only throw PW Wizards

Have a Diamond wizard and its surprisingly gummy. Also very slick so I dont get too much snap on it to get it really going. Its in the cabinet. PWs are my new favorite throwers. Erasers for putting, although they do throw well too. Actually, any non-floppy wizard is great for driving IMO

I had two very early diamond wizards.

Maybe my least favorite discs ever.

Honestly it just seems like with so many fantastic options for plastic that you're really selling yourself short by getting a Diamond or Platinum. PW is there best driving putter ever hands down also the glow for the same beef with slight lower shoulder firms -sass and all the SB and $, $$, $$$ blends there's just too many options. Ok I'm done now, oh yeah one more thing, I FRIGGIN LOVE THE WIZARD!!

Next time I have a day off work and nothing to do and its nice out I'm taking a trip to the gateway store. I'm going to feel up so many putters and probably walk away with some wizards. I need to stop visiting this thread because you're too good a hype man for the wizard grip. You're giving me gas(gear aqcuisition syndrome)

PW is there best driving putter ever hands down

Idk bruh, my stack of G9i's beg to differ. Haha I love PW, Fossil, and all the firm and gritty blends to death.. but for my throwers, G9i is something special. Looove them. Low profile, great grip after a few rounds, and super durable. My 'fresh' G9i has kept the same overstable flight for a year and a half now, which is amazing considering how often I use it. I throw it at the very LEAST 10 times a round.
I swear by G9i's.

I just wanted to add my (limited) experience of the PWs. I have two, one marked PWP (stiffer) and one marked PW. Both have a wizard holding an orb as the stamp. They feel great in the hand and just zip out. Although they started a bit overstable they seasoned really fast and are now dead straight. My old medium wizard that is 10 years older at least still has a lot more fade.

Idk bruh, my stack of G9i's beg to differ. Haha I love PW, Fossil, and all the firm and gritty blends to death.. but for my throwers, G9i is something special. Looove them. Low profile, great grip after a few rounds, and super durable. My 'fresh' G9i has kept the same overstable flight for a year and a half now, which is amazing considering how often I use it. I throw it at the very LEAST 10 times a round.
I swear by G9i's.

I didnt include G9i because it's a specialty now. It isn't in production and if you wanna go down the rabbit hole then that's on the individual so I only included the stuff in production.

I just wanted to add my (limited) experience of the PWs. I have two, one marked PWP (stiffer) and one marked PW. Both have a wizard holding an orb as the stamp. They feel great in the hand and just zip out. Although they started a bit overstable they seasoned really fast and are now dead straight. My old medium wizard that is 10 years older at least still has a lot more fade.

That has been my experience as well. I really like throwing them but they're starting to drift on me slightly. On the first round they're way too stable then after about 10 rounds they start to drift a few feet right. They sweet spot though, that is money, I need a wizard that lives there.

Mine are very flat. My yellow SS has a little bit of give to the flight plate and my red firms have little/none. The yellow SS feels more or less like standard S plastic to me. The red firm is more rubbery and chalky. The flight plate is noticeably thinner than other recent wizards and the tooling is more pronounced. I sanded it down on one of mine, and it feels much better. Flight is fast and straight stable, I think the SS will be a thrower for me and the firms will be backups for the old mediums that I am still using as my primary putters. The new firms are pretty much drop in replacements for those.

I bought a pair of red Nikkos and I am really happy with them. Very flat and low profile with a nice firmness. Mine both weigh in at 176. I might save these rather than throw them, I'm trying to resist the urge to buy more.

I swear by G9i's.

You may be the man to ask here, how is the hand feel of the glow plastic compared to the PW?

You may be the man to ask here, how is the hand feel of the glow plastic compared to the PW?

Depends man. They're has been so many different runs of glow.. my personal favorite are the older runs from the '03 to like '07 time frame.. a lot were a nice velvety SS, low profile and glowed for days.. nowadays they have a lot of different runs of glow. I have a 'glow stiff' that is basically a Glow G9i and a regular glow that's like SS.

nowadays they have a lot of different runs of glow. I have a 'glow stiff' that is basically a Glow G9i and a regular glow that's like SS.

I have a pair of those stiff glows as well. They are the stiffest Wizards in my collection.

Latest posts