• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

I'd say the Wizard is in the top ten most influential discs ever. Other putters are derived from it (I'm sure the wiz is derived from something else, everything is). You have all these really good plastic choices and the nice thing, in general, a wizard flies like a wizard. To me, the Wizard is the comfort food of disc golf. I count on them to get me close to the basket from 200 and in. They are so reliable it's almost point and shoot.

The Wizard was based off the KC Aviar

*Three Putt can fact check, but I'm pretty sure he posted something about it.

Heck, they pretty much say so right on the Gateway website.

https://www.gdstour.com/resources/disc-golf-articles/wizard-in-depth/

Sort of. According to that article they are similar, but with a different overall size, a different nose shape, and different flight plate thickness. That's a lot of change for a simple mold. I always viewed the Wizard as an "improved" Aviar because it's not really a direct clone.

It's like Dave Mac started with the Aviar and changed each component a little bit. Once you add up all the changes it's a significantly different disc.

Fun Fact: Back in the day before he started making discs, we called Dave McCormack "The Daviar" because he bombed big bead Aviars off the tee.

The Wizard was supposed to give you an Aviar hand feel, but with a thinner flight plate (actually a tapered flight plate that is thin in the middle and thicker at the edges, but you can read the article for that) and more mass moved out to the rim. That's why the wing is more rounded off (mass moved from the flight plate to the bottom of the wing) and why they clovered like crazy (paper-thin flight plates.)

Really, the Wizard is an Aviar with gyro. :|

Edit: Dave really believes that things like textured surfaces and stuff like they were doing with QuestAT with dimpled wings and such make discs fly father, so all the matte finish/less friction stuff he says in that article he really believes. I think it's something that might work in a lab, but in the real World doesn't make enough difference to bother with.

Last edited:
Fun Fact: Back in the day before he started making discs, we called Dave McCormack "The Daviar" because he bombed big bead Aviars off the tee.

The Wizard was supposed to give you an Aviar hand feel, but with a thinner flight plate and more mass moved out to the rim. That's why the wing is more rounded off (mass moved from the flight plate to the bottom of the wing) and why they clovered like crazy (paper-thin flight plates.)

Wizaryo?

I hate this site. You know I haven't thrown a Wizard this year? A Scale is as close as I've been. Now I want to go throw Wizards. I ALREADY HAVE PUTTERS IN MY BAG!!!

I blame all of you... :mad:

I hate this site. You know I haven't thrown a Wizard this year? A Scale is as close as I've been. Now I want to go throw Wizards. I ALREADY HAVE PUTTERS IN MY BAG!!!

I blame all of you... :mad:

<Insert disc here> is also great. You should try it.

Here's a link <link> to some limited candy run of them. Only 2 left.

Money >>>>> Toilet

There really are several great putters and it's hard to choose just one. Wizards stand out, though. Wizards and KC Pro Aviars are still the 1A/1B for putters IMO with the Challenger just a slight bit behind.

Of course I have APX's in my bag because I'm dumb. :|

There really are several great putters and it's hard to choose just one. Wizards stand out, though. Wizards and KC Pro Aviars are still the 1A/1B for putters IMO with the Challenger just a slight bit behind.

I agree, the Aviar and Wizard set the standard for the Putter that most other discs are judged on. The exceptions are the lids that are judged off of the Wham-O Frisbee's and similar catch discs in how they glide and how stable the Lid putter is to the catch discs, then the Sonic and other similar disc like the one that Latitude 64 makes to the Wham-O Fastback.

The Wizard was supposed to give you an Aviar hand feel, but with a thinner flight plate (actually a tapered flight plate that is thin in the middle and thicker at the edges, but you can read the article for that) and more mass moved out to the rim. That's why the wing is more rounded off (mass moved from the flight plate to the bottom of the wing) and why they clovered like crazy (paper-thin flight plates.)

Edit: Dave really believes that things like textured surfaces and stuff like they were doing with QuestAT with dimpled wings and such make discs fly father, so all the matte finish/less friction stuff he says in that article he really believes. I think it's something that might work in a lab, but in the real World doesn't make enough difference to bother with.

then why does it fly like bricks

then why does it fly like bricks

That depends on the plastic used and if you like that plastic for the Wizard. I should have used a regular Hard/Medium Wizard back in 2004 when getting a new putter rather then the G9i plastic as that G9i is lower profile disc, the plastic wants to flat top 100% with a G9i Wizard and stay lower profile even having the edge not round out as much as on a regular Wizard.

Nope not dumb, an uncle uses a rarely used disc at all for his a putter, the Spider. He wanted a disc as close to a Magnet but much lower profile as he did not like how tall the Magnet is. The Hydra was not out yet in 2000 during his first full year of disc golf, so he got two DX Spider for his putter the closest to a lower profile Magnet at that time.

I use Wizards mainly for approach shots, not for putting, so I don't really mind if it's brick like. Wizards go as far as you throw them then they stop when thrown at relatively slow speeds. Not much glide involved. But I'd argue that when thrown at higher speeds, such as on a tee shot, they do glide surprisingly well. I can see some sort of gyro claim. Not the special gyro sauce that MVP bakes into their discs mind you. But more of a working mans, generic gyroscopic forward push.