• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

High shoulder? Low?

Not low shouldered like a Fossil or a Nikko, no. It's not super high shouldered either. Medium shoulder, like DrBaartman said. Just a normal wizard. The ones I have come from a run from 2017.

Correct, Warlock has an Aviar P&A shape to it with the stability of a Wizard. The Voodoo is basically a small bead Wizard, so it flies like a seasoned Wizard out of the box. The Magic is their US beadless putter, but it feels quite different in the hand compared to the Wizard. It has a more blunt rim, similar to the PA4 from Prodigy. Flight is similar to a Comet, but slower.

Correct, Warlock has an Aviar P&A shape to it with the stability of a Wizard. The Voodoo is basically a small bead Wizard, so it flies like a seasoned Wizard out of the box. The Magic is their US beadless putter, but it feels quite different in the hand compared to the Wizard. It has a more blunt rim, similar to the PA4 from Prodigy. Flight is similar to a Comet, but slower.

Yes to the above. Also, the Magic is more shallow, and reminds me of the Colt. The Magic is a good approach disc.

I think the best way to reference the Wizard/Warlock dilemma is to say that the Wizard is to the BB Aviar what the Warlock is to the P2. Yes it's beadless, not that much less stable though.

I have some catching up to do, but I am welcoming myself back into the world of wizards. I have done all sorts of things with my putters in bag over the last 8 years since I bagged a wizard(!) but may have always still been a wizard guy.

In early 2010 I lost my perfect beat in early Med wizard. I tried and tried to find new wizards that I liked to no avail... That prompted me to try a new putter. Lots of hit or miss and discs I fell in love with.
About a year ago I played around with a friends disc, AK47, and threw a stroke off my PR at the time for that course, while taking his $ with his disc.
To shorten the story, I have been going through some putting woes and threw a few of my old discs in the car and played a round. I putted fire with my old leathery proto wizard.

Hooked on wizards again. Bartered for his beat AK, threw my proto in the bag for putting, have an 09 am championships soft for flippier approaches and a nice EVO for overstable goodness. Now I am going to be in the market to buy some wizards.

How hard is it going to be to get my hands on some Nikko wizards? Sounds like they will be my best replacement for my old thin plate $ wizards. Any other blends or runs I need to look out for?

How hard is it going to be to get my hands on some Nikko wizards? Sounds like they will be my best replacement for my old thin plate $ wizards. Any other blends or runs I need to look out for?

Nikko Wizards arent hard to find, nor are they expensive. You can get them on Gateway's website, and they are available in a variety of plastics. I ordered one that is arriving tomorrow and is described as "blurple" eraser, which looks extremely similar to my SB-22 wizards they ran a couple years ago.

If thin flight plate is what you need, stick with Nikko's. If you're willing to branch out from that, check out PW plastic. It's similar to KC Pro but less slick. I haven't tried their new firm plastic, but it's supposed to be a good substitute for the older medium and soft wizards.

^ yes, remember seeing that a couple months ago.

It ruins their naming scheme. Should they subtract an S from the other types (super soft - > soft / super stupid soft-> super soft)?

LOL at Gateway and whoever came up with their "softness" scale. Sometimes I wonder if they wanted to make it impossible to order online?

If this was an Innova disc, Soft Wizards would be going for $25 a piece now. Got to get those "good run" Wizards. Seriously though Bardu, I am not giving you grief. If I did not have so many unthrown Softs, I would be doing the same thing.

Is this the most versatile disc ever? It was my go to since the first day I held it for putting. Then I started throwing them and, oh boy! The PW handled my push (spush) putts and it reacts to my new spin putt style even better it seems. Can't beat it for a driving putter and the PWs also are always in a sweet spot it seems. Compliment a few Wizards with a Scale and you're set. Best disc ever? Maybe.

I'd say the Wizard is in the top ten most influential discs ever. Other putters are derived from it (I'm sure the wiz is derived from something else, everything is). You have all these really good plastic choices and the nice thing, in general, a wizard flies like a wizard. To me, the Wizard is the comfort food of disc golf. I count on them to get me close to the basket from 200 and in. They are so reliable it's almost point and shoot.