• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Gateway Wizard

First time I threw a Soft Wizard I couldnt get it to go anywhere. Thought it was a dud. But i was trying to throw it like i was used to throwing other putters. Power up and really drove the disc and then it clicked for me. I would rather slam on a Wizard to get it going and still not worry about turning it over, than trying to finesse a floaty putter even if the latter could be done with much less force. The repeatability is in the former, for me. Also, I feel like the Wizard has surprisingly little lateral movement during fade, for a putter that stable. I can see it slowing down and tilting to the side, but it doesnt get too far off the line nevertheless.

Most Wizards I have to add the snap to my regular putt making it 50/50 of a push putt and spin putt, unlike my regular no major wind push putt up to 15-20 feet. After that I add spin as well as push back foot off ground higher and higher after about 20-25 feet on up. I would only add the push too the putt if using a Wizard, as I would do a 50/50 of a push putt and spin putt with the Wizard.

I guess people think glide is always a good thing.
Au contraire, mon frère. I learned to hate glidey putters while throwing 86 Softies years ago. I loves me a glideless "goes as far as you throw it" putter. Unfortunately for me, if I throw a "goes as far as you throw it" putter now, it's going to go maybe 15'. :|

How are eraser wizards? Considering ordering one online but have no idea what to expect. Are they super flexible? Smooth? Chalky? It's going to be used for upshots and drives mostly.

How are eraser wizards? Considering ordering one online but have no idea what to expect. Are they super flexible? Smooth? Chalky? It's going to be used for upshots and drives mostly.

Erasers are a touch more rubbery in feel with SS-SSS flex. They are my go to putting putters. Imo they tend to be a touch US compared to other wizards (a teeny, tiny touch).

Ive found some preeeetty gooshdarn stiff erasers too. Like soft stiff almost (lol what oxymoron). Yet with that unprecedented grip. (like, in pouring rain, dont bother to try and dry any discs, just grab the dripping wet eraser and throw). I dont think I will ever buy a Wizard blindly again. Feel it up or at least talk to the person who can feel it for you.

I agree that eraser wizards seem to have the best grip. Like Flick said, I don't even bother drying them off before throwing or putting, unless they have a bunch of snow under the rim. I recently got a Nikko prototype on eraser and it was slightly rubbery, about SS flex. I also called the Gateway store yesterday to ask about a couple more erasers, and was told one was SS while the other was more like SSS, both with a chalky feel, which is usually how I describe mine. Definitely give them a call and tell them what you're looking for, if you're particular about your putters.

^this^ I have made a few purchases and talked with either Com or Mason and they always have taken care of me. I love the PWs most consistent among their plastics IME.

The eraser ones are great. I also like organic. The ones I have are almost as grippy as eraser, but they are a tad bit softer. Obviously it all depends on the run, but that has been my experience. Both are good in the cold, but I would say erasers do a bit better if they get wet.

Holiday dreaming...
I would buy a stack of organic glows.
I would also buy a stack of fossil fuel glows.
Can this be done?
(Fossil fuel glow Scales)
Happy Holidays!

Holiday dreaming...
I would buy a stack of organic glows.
I would also buy a stack of fossil fuel glows.
Can this be done?
(Fossil fuel glow Scales)
Happy Holidays!

I'd love some regular fossil glow... Or a PW Scale, and now I have to go clean up my pants.......

I think my favorites have been OG and Eraser. They are tacky, grippy, and the right amount of soft. I like regular soft plastic, but right now, it's just too hard in this weather. I found some really cool Jumpman wizards that I pulled the trigger on yesterday.

Last edited:
After buying and selling ~50 wizards, all I know is I don't know.

I've owned a lot of wizards over the years as well and I feel the same. I don't know which ones I like the best, but I pretty much like all wizards in some way. Right now, I'm going through my wizard collection one by one by letting each one have 2 days in my putter pouch on the course. Mine are all within a couple grams of each other and they all fly about the same. The only difference to me is how they feel in hand and how they come out of your hand. I'm taking one of my PWs out today and I'm looking forward to seeing if it's the most overstable of the lot as someone here said was true. My baseline are glows. That's what I'm carrying if I'm playing to win a round.

All I know is that I like them a little chalky, and RFF is too soft. Pretty much everything else works for some purpose whether it's putts, upshots or drives. Some wizards don't feel right to me in the beginning. But once I've had them in the backyard practice bin for long enough, they're all great.

Just picked up a fresh batch of Wizards. Got some F2 Erasers, Jordan Stamped ORG and Soft, and some halloween ORGs. Really liking the eraser plastic and the ORG for colder weather.

I also picked up a training Wizard. Are these legal to use in competition or are they too heavy?

I got some new chalky eraser wizards that are pretty stiff for my 2019 putting putters (F/SS). Before that my erasers were probably closer to SSS in flex. The chalkier the better with eraser for me.

Before I found the eraser, my ideal wizard was one with SS flex, but SSS grip. Tweeners from both flexes fit the bill.

I picked up a brand new pair of PWs stamped with a rainbow foil princess Leia stamped greatness. This PW feels a bit more grippy/Rubbery but still velvety and a tiny bit more flex in the plate. I know Gateway isn't known for their consistency but this is the first deviation in feel with PWs I have noticed with the exception of the red "Pure White" I picked up a while back. all in all a great disc and a great plastic.