• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Get Lit! (The Fuse Thread)

Monocacy said:
I have been searching for a predictable understable midrange to complement a Z Buzzz or DX Roc, and the Fuse sounds intriguing. I throw midranges for shots in the 200 – 240' range, forehand and backhand, so I don't need anything super-understable. Ideally, I would like something that can be powered easily for touch shots, and also hyser-flipped for straight with minimal fade tunnel shots. I have tried 168-170 Z Comets (great for field work, but not yet predictable enough for scored rounds), a domey 166 X Buzzz (horrible), and a 166 ESP Meteor (too fine a line between hyser and runaway turnover).

FWIW, I have been using Z Buzzzes as my stable midrange, but after cleaning up my throw a bit I am starting to dig DX Rocs. Sounds like the Fuse would pair better with a Roc - based on Discspeed's review, it may be too similar to the Buzzz?

Would the Fuse be a good understable complement for the Roc / Buzzz? How does it handle a moderately clean forehand throw?

Mine are 177.
The Fuse is probably the exact same stability as a Z Comet (perhaps Fuse is a touch more understable), but it is not as touchy. It compliments a Buzzz well, sort of like a Meteor, but it is not quite as understable as a Meteor. It is also slower than the Meteor with more glide, and this makes it feel a little more predictable and helps with touch shots. The Fuse is excellent at the slight hyzer flip to flat straight shot. It does not really overlap with the Buzzz because with the slow glide all of its lines shape up different except the straight shot. It would probably overlap more with the Roc, because essentially it flies like a beat Roc already. Its like a dx Roc that has been beat just enough to lose its LSS, but still retain decent HSS. However, its still glidier than the Rancho.

Thank you, Discspeed, that sounds like just what I am looking for. I prefer Buzzz to Roc for forehand anyway, so perhaps the Buzzz – Fuse combination would be ideal, providing different stabilities as well as different speeds. To get similar distance, I assume that you would need to throw the Fuse on a higher line than the Buzzz?

Sounds like I should add an Opto Fuse or two to my next order.

As someone who throw's the Core a LOT i'm not sure I see the point in this disc yet. I throw it on the same lines I throw my worn in Core's on. I'm thinking maybe what i'm really meant to do is throw the 200' shot with the Fuse that would fly identically to the 300' shot with the Core?

I would also warn people that EVERY disc fades at the end of its flight, as long as it has time to run out of spin before it hits the ground. The Coment or the Fuse are no exception. I've had my Fuse fade out on me a couple times on longer downhill shots just like my Comets have. So don't buy the Fuse thinking its going to fly perfectly straight and drop flat... cause it won't.

I'm thinking this is going to be another one that requires some time to let it age and let people have those "Hmmmm I wonder if I can make it through that..." moments before we figure out what it really can do.

It really is a lot like a Comet flight wise though. In a nut shell I would describe it as a disc that flies like a Comet but feels like a Core in your hands.

The Fuse holds some of the smoothest anhyzer lines of any disc I've thrown. I threw mine out over the water today and let it sail right the whole way to the basket. The way the Fuse floats forward as it turns makes it more forgiving than the Buzzz. It is also less nose angle sensitive than the Buzzz altogether. So far it is working very nicely in my flippy Buzzz slot.

My pink opto's hold the turn longer than my neon yellows. I also don't see any difference between the opto and golds that people have talked about. They've been flying just about the same for me.

I've been using a beat ESP Buzzz for all understable mid duties and it's okay but not perfert. Will the Fuse when thrown flat flip and start tracking to the right (RHBH) or does it need a little anhyzer release angle?

Risk said:
I've been using a beat ESP Buzzz for all understable mid duties and it's okay but not perfert. Will the Fuse when thrown flat flip and start tracking to the right (RHBH) or does it need a little anhyzer release angle?

If thrown flat and hard they will track right slowly (LHBH). I like throwing them with a touch of anny and not quite as hard and then letting the disc hold rather than flip.

They really don't flip much and they seriously hold that angle you released them at for the longest I've ever seen.

discspeed said:
Risk said:

If thrown flat and hard they will track right slowly (LHBH). I like throwing them with a touch of anny and not quite as hard and then letting the disc hold rather than flip.
Did you mean RHBH or don't they turn even when thrown flat and hard?

Risk said:
Will the Fuse when thrown flat flip and start tracking to the right (RHBH) or does it need a little anhyzer release angle?

It will flip maybe 1-2° from flat and track right EVER so slightly. The thing is, its subtle enough that when it does it for me it could be ME releasing with 1-2° of anhyzer.

This is not a disc you throw like a driver, ever. I treat this like I would a putter, its all about finesse and accuracy. It really is laser straight with the littlest of fade.

I threw my Fuse on a 250' or so hole that makes a very sharp arc to the left. If you stand on the tee pad facing forward, then turn about 70° to your left you can make the basket out through the tree's. The whole left side is a wall of woods that arcs right to the pin. The right side is completely open, so you can play the hole forward out into the open and throw a long return, or you can try to play the curve. I decided to try something different since I had the fuse. I gave it about 35° of hyzer and threw an air bounce. BAM. Right off the side of the basket. With enough height I'm almost wondering if I would have curved it all the way back to me. The lift this disc gets is incredible.

If you hadn't said the word 'Fuse' in your post, I would have thought that was a post about a Comet. Seriously sounds like a very similar disc.

I just got my pink opto fuse. The color is sweet and the grip reminds me of the core. Wind is blowing 20 to 40mph here today, so no dice on getting to test it. I will heading out to the field tomorrow or thursday.

Props to GGGT, their shipping is some of the fastest in the biz!!!! They also hooked me up with the exact color and weight, too!!

jubuttib said:
discspeed said:
Risk said:

Did you mean RHBH or don't they turn even when thrown flat and hard?

Yes, I meant RHBH...posting before coffee is dangerous.

victorb said:
If you hadn't said the word 'Fuse' in your post, I would have thought that was a post about a Comet. Seriously sounds like a very similar disc.

I have a loaner Z Comet with my Core and Wasp to try along the Fuse. Taunting me for 5 days while it storms when I am off work, grrrrr. The only reason I gave the Comet to a friend was that I lacked the constant touch needed to avoid over-runs into hazards past baskets. If I can get that flight without the problems getting it to sit down on cue, I'll be very happy.

Just ordered two. Thanks dgr for helping me spend more money! So far this site has me stocked in wizards and pd's, love them both, so hopefully the fuse lives up to the hype the same way.

I threw it excessively hard last night on a couple holes just to see what would happen and it really doesn't turn over. I'm very impressed with its high speed stability.

Jeronimo said:
I threw it excessively hard last night on a couple holes just to see what would happen and it really doesn't turn over. I'm very impressed with its high speed stability.

Are you throwing both plastics?

Yesterday a buddy and I played a short course and we threw the Fuse on almost every hole. He was throwing the Goldline and I was using the Opto. They both flew very well. My friend is a natural hyzer thrower and the GL was perfect for him. He was getting long, glidey, and straight flights. The Opto is definitely a little more stable, a little slower, and seems to float more. I powered the Opto into a mild headwind by throwing it low, nose down, and hyzer and it held the whole way without flipping.

discspeed said:
Jeronimo said:

Are you throwing both plastics?

Yesterday a buddy and I played a short course and we threw the Fuse on almost every hole. He was throwing the Goldline and I was using the Opto. They both flew very well. My friend is a natural hyzer thrower and the GL was perfect for him. He was getting long, glidey, and straight flights. The Opto is definitely a little more stable, a little slower, and seems to float more. I powered the Opto into a mild headwind by throwing it low, nose down, and hyzer and it held the whole way without flipping.

Yeah, I've been throwing them side by side for the most part. I ended up buying 3 Neon Yellow/Greens, 2 Pinks, and an Orange in Opto, an Orange in Gold, and a Yellow in Gold. I bought weights ranging from 168g to 180g. I would agree that the Opto's are just a tad more stable but not by much. I'm not seeing the glide difference between the two plastics personally but I am noticing a minor stability difference between weights though. My 168 has less fade next to my 180g, but again not by much. I noticed this doing the same thing you guys did in throwing a single disc round. I did it on Pyramids at Marshall St right after I bought them all last week. Last night was when I was really ripping into them on a large open course here in Maine that was pretty windy (Pleasant Hill).

As glad as I am that we got some bright colors this go around I find myself missing the typical clears, blues, purples, and reds of latitudes typical flavor. All the "reds" I saw were more of a orange/red mix.

Latest posts