• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Get Lit! (The Fuse Thread)

Got two red optos in the mail today, just in time to head to work of course. I am hoping to audition them a bit before dark. They feel great in the hand, one is slightly domier than the other. I am hoping these fly like advertised, I have a buzz and a comet in the bag, and I am hoping the fuse is a slightly less touch-sensitive comet. We will see!

Got a chance to throw both of my new opto fuse's this evening. First impression is that it is much faster than I anticipated. Stability is right between a comet and buzz, the glide is nearly that of a comet, but the disc is not as touchy. Feels great in the hand, and likes snap not arm speed. This may be the disc I have been searching for, too early to tell, but loving it so far.

I have an orange Gold Line 177 that I just cannot figure out. On Wednesday I tried giving it an uphill anny line hoping for it to hold it smoothly to the basket, instead it flew straight which then led it to a steep drop off where it held that line all the way down and out of sight of the tee box. Today I teed off with it on a moderate but steady downhill. Knowing it would be easy to make that 350 feet, I put a little hyzer on it hoping that it would either flip up and slowly glide down towards the basket, or hold the hyzer while flying straight for the majority of the flight. Instead it immediately got out of the hyzer and slowly turned over, throwing it about 70 feet to the right of the basket.

Instead of a bead I have noticed that it has a slanted brim. It fits nicely into my hand despite my otherwise intolerance of beaded discs. I do not want to give up on it considering how many Lat discs I have been packing recently, but I am a little perplexed by this disc. It could be a matter of how I am mentally approaching the release and what I am expecting of this disc.

Is it closer to a Meteor or a Buzzz (do not say Comet or Core because I only threw those for a few weeks last year and did not like their excessive glide)? Relatively speaking, how much power would one expect to give this disc for it to achieve its intended potential flight? Think 400 feet with the Boss, Halo, Nuke etc and an accurate 330 with a TeeBird. Driving a Mako I can maintain accuracy at 70 to 80 percent power but I am having troubles using it for approaching (I use Voodoos and Wizards for anything under 200 feet).

I picked up the Fuse as a partial whim/ as a replacement for the Meteor, something that is slightly more stable and can handle longer right turns without having to muscle it.

I threw my 176 yellow opto fuse for the first time today and so far I really enjoy it... looks like a roc, feels like a buzzz, flies like a....well, Fuse! seriously though I can't wait to throw it more...
Flies just as reviewed by the other peeps in this thread....a subtle hyzer gets 'er nice n straight, alotta glide, with minimal to no fade. fun

smarkquart said:
I have an orange Gold Line 177 that I just cannot figure out. On Wednesday I tried giving it an uphill anny line hoping for it to hold it smoothly to the basket, instead it flew straight which then led it to a steep drop off where it held that line all the way down and out of sight of the tee box. Today I teed off with it on a moderate but steady downhill. Knowing it would be easy to make that 350 feet, I put a little hyzer on it hoping that it would either flip up and slowly glide down towards the basket, or hold the hyzer while flying straight for the majority of the flight. Instead it immediately got out of the hyzer and slowly turned over, throwing it about 70 feet to the right of the basket.

Instead of a bead I have noticed that it has a slanted brim. It fits nicely into my hand despite my otherwise intolerance of beaded discs. I do not want to give up on it considering how many Lat discs I have been packing recently, but I am a little perplexed by this disc. It could be a matter of how I am mentally approaching the release and what I am expecting of this disc.

Is it closer to a Meteor or a Buzzz (do not say Comet or Core because I only threw those for a few weeks last year and did not like their excessive glide)? Relatively speaking, how much power would one expect to give this disc for it to achieve its intended potential flight? Think 400 feet with the Boss, Halo, Nuke etc and an accurate 330 with a TeeBird. Driving a Mako I can maintain accuracy at 70 to 80 percent power but I am having troubles using it for approaching (I use Voodoos and Wizards for anything under 200 feet).

I picked up the Fuse as a partial whim/ as a replacement for the Meteor, something that is slightly more stable and can handle longer right turns without having to muscle it.

If you've read my posts you could tell it took me a couple days to get the Goldline dialed in. It shares most of the Buzzzes flight characteristics, but is a little slower with a little more glide. It has the stability of a Meteor, but turns slower.

I just did some more work with my Fuses in the park by my house. The Fuse may have the least fade of any somewhat stable disc I've ever thrown. They excel at late turning shots as well. The Goldline is the most perfect understable compliment to my Buzzzes I've ever found. Thrown soft its a neutral stability touch disc. When powered it turns over slowly yet constantly. The Fuse has about 1/3 the fade of a Buzzz...It also makes me appreciate the fade that the Buzzz has because if you get it off line nobody is going to save you.

To make some more GL/Opto comparisons the Opto seems to glide farther on a high line/downhill and the GL flies farther on a lower (Buzzz like) line. The Opto will hold a hyzer where I have had a nearly impossible time getting the GL to hold a hyzer. The Opto can take a lot more power because of this and remain stable.

discspeed said:
I just did some more work with my Fuses in the park by my house. The Fuse may have the least fade of any somewhat stable disc I've ever thrown. They excel at late turning shots as well. The Goldline is the most perfect understable compliment to my Buzzzes I've ever found. Thrown soft its a neutral stability touch disc. When powered it turns over slowly yet constantly. The Fuse has about 1/3 the fade of a Buzzz...It also makes me appreciate the fade that the Buzzz has because if you get it off line nobody is going to save you.

To make some more GL/Opto comparisons the Opto seems to glide farther on a high line/downhill and the GL flies farther on a lower (Buzzz like) line. The Opto will hold a hyzer where I have had a nearly impossible time getting the GL to hold a hyzer. The Opto can take a lot more power because of this and remain stable.

Have you managed to season one at all yet? I bought a couple of opto's, hoping that with some time they'll eventually get a little bit flippier, like a GL. You think this is ever going to happen? Let me know what you feel these are going to be like when broken in.

Ryan C said:
discspeed said:

Have you managed to season one at all yet? I bought a couple of opto's, hoping that with some time they'll eventually get a little bit flippier, like a GL. You think this is ever going to happen? Let me know what you feel these are going to be like when broken in.

I don't see the Fuses seasoning at all for a long time. For one, they don't have hardly any flashing on the bottom to give them artificial stability. Secondly, the mold just feels very thick and solid with few weak points. Third, the Opto and Goldline plastic used in these discs seems extremely durable. They are both quite stiff, especially the GL.

I could see the opto seasoning just a little, the Gold Lines I have that have seen some tree's and a rock or two at this point haven't changed much. Not like my Gold Line Core changed anyway, I need more time to bust a nut on these things before saying for certain though.

I'm starting to really derive pleasure from throwing my GL Fuse...so much I just picked up two more exactly like it to practice with. I was practicing for my tournament next weekend at one of the courses and it is quite tight and wooded. I was able to finesse the Fuse on any line I needed under 300' with very little effort. The GL Fuse feels exactly like my Buzzz in my hand as well...everything from the opaque stiff plastic to the general flatness, it just feels exactly how I like. My releases have been perfect with it. I was able to get it to hold short hyzers today where I wanted to hit the gap right off the tee with deep hyzer and still fly forward and finish left. This disc truly is giving me something I've never had in my bag before. It is like a slower, less speed sensitive Meteor with even more glide.

discspeed said:
I'm starting to really derive pleasure from throwing my GL Fuse...so much I just picked up two more exactly like it to practice with. I was practicing for my tournament next weekend at one of the courses and it is quite tight and wooded. I was able to finesse the Fuse on any line I needed under 300' with very little effort. The GL Fuse feels exactly like my Buzzz in my hand as well...everything from the opaque stiff plastic to the general flatness, it just feels exactly how I like. My releases have been perfect with it. I was able to get it to hold short hyzers today where I wanted to hit the gap right off the tee with deep hyzer and still fly forward and finish left. This disc truly is giving me something I've never had in my bag before. It is like a slower, less speed sensitive Meteor with even more glide.

Dude, you're going to make me buy a GL now. I've spent enough this month.

At this point I would say in terms of stability and speed/glide...

Roc + Comet = Opto Fuse

Buzzz + Comet = Goldline Fuse

discspeed said:
At this point I would say in terms of stability and speed/glide...

Roc + Comet = Opto Fuse

Buzzz + Comet = Goldline Fuse

Yeah, see now I really like I should have gone with the GL Fuse. I am never going to take a buzzz out of my bag as long as I play disc golf, so the GL feels like it has less overlap with a buzzz. God knows I'm not thrifty. I'll probably end up picking up a couple GL's before long.

abuse that opto Fuse before you take it out of the bag, it might lose some of that stability. Personally, I think Discspeed is bonkers :mrgreen: cause the difference in the Gold and Opto is minimal to non existant in my eyes. Kind of like wanting to see something so bad you actually start seeing it.

Jeronimo said:
abuse that opto Fuse before you take it out of the bag, it might lose some of that stability. Personally, I think Discspeed is bonkers :mrgreen: cause the difference in the Gold and Opto is minimal to non existant in my eyes. Kind of like wanting to see something so bad you actually start seeing it.

I've only tested one Opto--it is orange, 177, and domey. Anyone intermediate level and up would throw it next to my GLs and notice it is more stable. Like I said in a previous post, its like a -1 difference in stability. The other difference is speed/loft. The dome/Opto plastic causes more lift and a slower speed when compared with the flatter Goldline, which is faster. The speed difference may also make the stability difference seem greater.

discspeed said:
Jeronimo said:

I've only tested one Opto--it is orange, 177, and domey. Anyone intermediate level and up would throw it next to my GLs and notice it is more stable. Like I said in a previous post, its like a -1 difference in stability. The other difference is speed/loft. The dome/Opto plastic causes more lift and a slower speed when compared with the flatter Goldline, which is faster. The speed difference may also make the stability difference seem greater.

I still don't see it. The only perceivable difference i've seen is a minutely greater fade at the end of the flight by the opto compared to the gold. The glide difference, the stability difference... i'm not seeing it. They're pretty much interchangeable in my book.

Jeronimo said:
discspeed said:
Jeronimo said:

I still don't see it. The only perceivable difference i've seen is a minutely greater fade at the end of the flight by the opto compared to the gold. The glide difference, the stability difference... i'm not seeing it. They're pretty much interchangeable in my book.

Make cracks at me all ya want. Other than the noticeable late flight fade difference they're close enough in my book to call equal. I respectfully disagree with Discspeed. He without a doubt knows what he's talking about but I don't think the difference is as obvious as he's stating. It's interesting too because if Gold = Star plastic and Opto = Champion then the age old rule of star gliding more than champion would have to be untrue for these.

If you throw a Fuse (Gold or Opto) its going to fly straight for a very long time without turning over and show just a smidgen of fade (unless you really air hike it), period.

Latest posts