• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Get Lit! (The Fuse Thread)

victorb said:
Seriously though, I don't know if it's what I want in that slot in my bag, it's almost too fast to be a touch turnover/straight disc.

You've been throwing too many Comets! :lol: I don't think the Fuse is as fast as the Buzzz, Core, Coyote, Mako, etc. Its between a Buzzz and a Roc. Anyway, I don't think it is too fast at all. For shorter stuff everyone should have a slower disc (their putter). To me the Fuse is simply a step up from that.

I think it falls somewhere between a speed 5 and 4 on innova's chart. Feels a little faster than a roc, and significantly faster than a comet.

I guess it might just be too fast for me in that slot :wink:

victorb said:
I think it falls somewhere between a speed 5 and 4 on innova's chart. Feels a little faster than a roc, and significantly faster than a comet.

I guess it might just be too fast for me in that slot :wink:

I still disagree. I think that the Stingray, Coyote, Mako, and Cobra are all faster and they are all speed 4.

I'm starting too see what you were talking about Discspeed, but only in my really heavy opto's. My lighter weight pink Opto's don't behave like my heavy 180g Neon Yellow ones do. There's definitely a noticeable stability difference between my light weight opto's and my heavy ones, might have something to do with color too, I don't know. Neon Yellow, 180g is my most stable Fuse.

Jeronimo said:
I'm starting too see what you were talking about Discspeed, but only in my really heavy opto's. My lighter weight pink Opto's don't behave like my heavy 180g Neon Yellow ones do. There's definitely a noticeable stability difference between my light weight opto's and my heavy ones, might have something to do with color too, I don't know. Neon Yellow, 180g is my most stable Fuse.

It isn't the color. The weight actually might affect stability.

The color=stability thing is one of the biggest DG myths.

The only thing that you might be able to tell by color is that all the pink ones from the first run cooled differently from the blues or whatever. This might happen if the room they were made in just happened to be cooler. I work in a plastic injection molding shop, and even things like leaving a bay door open to the outside air can affect the way a plastic part cools. The color itself is not going to change the way it flies.

Ryan C said:

The only thing that you might be able to tell by color is that all the pink ones from the first run cooled differently from the blues or whatever. This might happen if the room they were made in just happened to be cooler. I work in a plastic injection molding shop, and even things like leaving a bay door open to the outside air can affect the way a plastic part cools. The color itself is not going to change the way it flies.

You may want to tell Westside Discs and Latitude 64 about that then... If I recall correctly they refrained from running the Northman in certain colors because they were concerned what the additive would do to the stability of the disc.

Jeronimo said:
Ryan C said:

You may want to tell Westside Discs and Latitude 64 about that then... If I recall correctly they refrained from running the Northman in certain colors because they were concerned what the additive would do to the stability of the disc.

If the "additive" is something other than just pure color then its possible it could change the consistency of the plastic, which could then change the way the disc cooled....If its just color, its all the same stuff.

I'm not here to be an arrogant ass, unwilling to admit that I don't know. It is possible they are using some other color additives. I know that in Urethane blends, like Opto plastic, weighting agents are sometimes used.... All of this COULD affect the plastic to some serious extent.

I will say this... When you run different colors of parts, you will almost always run the lightest colors first. For example, if you ran black, and then ran white afterwards, you would lose like 150 shots (discs) before you were making pure white parts. I would assume that the disc makers are following this basic strategy. If that was the case, the mold might be cooler when they were running the first colors. That could make it possible that lighter colors would tend to be more stable, because I would assume that a more quickly cooled part would result in a higher parting line. This is all based on my own plastic experience.

Again though, this isn't the color itself that's changing the stability. I don't know what kind of color they would using that would be chemically different from other colors. Where I work we tend to only use about 5 colors, but all of these are totally interchangeable and effectively chemically identical. As are all plastic colorants that I'm aware of.

Nice thread drift...yeah, injection molding discs, very complicated, many variables, correlation is not causation, no one has it figured out, maybe someday, etc, etc, etc...

Anyway, back to the Fuse. Now I've abandoned the Opto and I was throwing 3 identical GLs today. These discs have incredible glide! When I first heard about the Buzzz SS and my imagination was free to idealize the best possible outcome, I imagined the Fuse. It is an absolutely perfect compliment to the Buzzz.

The Fuse is magical in flight. I've never seen a disc hold an anhyzer angle like that, and especially fly so SLOW. It's pretty unbelievable.

turso just got two "orange" GLs to compliment his 2 optos, we'll see what they do in a day or two.

NoLifeLeft said:
jubuttib said:
I've never seen a disc hold an anhyzer angle like that, and especially fly so SLOW. It's pretty unbelievable.
Never thrown a Comet, I take it? :wink:
No, never have. I should have said "other than a lid" of course, and from what everyone's been saying the Comet flies pretty much just like a lid.

I'm getting a Comet when I get around to building my Discraft bag, first I just need to finish my Discmania bag and start a Latitude bag. =)

Okay, got my GL Fuses yesterday and got to test drive the 174g orange one, and with premilinary examinations it actually seems to be more overstable than my 174g pink opto is, and has slightly more fade. Have to do more research later today when I get the chance to go on a proper field to throw em both.

That we must. That GL Fuse seemed to have magical target seeking properties.

This disc is the shit and it warrants all the hype it's been getting. It holds the most perfect slow anhyzer turn I've ever seen and the glide on this thing is crazy. It may just bump out the Cyclone and a beat Buzzz from my bag because it's useable on a much greater range of distances without the unpredictability of the Buzzz. I'm still in the honeymoon phase but this sucker has serious game changing potential for me.

Risk said:
... without the unpredictability of the Buzzz.

The Fuse is in my bag and I think its great...but its not as predictable as the Buzzz. The Buzzz is perhaps my most predictable disc. I've been throwing it so long that I can tell you exactly what I did wrong if I don't put it withing 5' of my target. By nature, the Fuse is less stable and has more glide. Due to this, small changes on the part of the user can translate into drastically different flights, thus making it less predictable.

I see discs on a spectrum that has predictability at one end and precision in the other. Very predictable discs are ones that have such strong flight tendencies that they fly the same regardless of operator. Precision discs are ones that behave very differently based on nuances of the operator's throw. Both are important and have equal merit.

discspeed said:
Risk said:

The Fuse is in my bag and I think its great...but its not as predictable as the Buzzz. The Buzzz is perhaps my most predictable disc. I've been throwing it so long that I can tell you exactly what I did wrong if I don't put it withing 5' of my target. By nature, the Fuse is less stable and has more glide. Due to this, small changes on the part of the user can translate into drastically different flights, thus making it less predictable.

I see discs on a spectrum that has predictability at one end and precision in the other. Very predictable discs are ones that have such strong flight tendencies that they fly the same regardless of operator. Precision discs are ones that behave very differently based on nuances of the operator's throw. Both are important and have equal merit.

Sorry I ment the Buzzz was unpredictable on anhyzer lines for me and I love them for straight shots and slight hyzers.

Risk said:
discspeed said:
Risk said:

Sorry I ment the Buzzz was unpredictable on anhyzer lines for me and I love them for straight shots and slight hyzers.

Oh, in that case I completely agree! :lol: