• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Get Lit! (The Fuse Thread)

discspeed said:
I see discs on a spectrum that has predictability at one end and precision in the other.
Perhaps "responsiveness" would convey your meaning better than "precision", since precision involves repeatability within a narrow range. One web site defines precision as:
the quality of being reproducible in amount or performance; "he handled it with the preciseness of an automaton"
Do continue writing about discs, please, I love the precision of your descriptions. :wink:

Back on topic: I have a GL and Opto Fuse on the way. Has anyone tried flicking a Fuse, and if so, how did it hold up for a reasonably clean forehand?

Precision usually means hitting the target you're aiming for. Accuracy is repeatability.

Say two throwers threw 10 shots at the same target. One of them landed 10' away every time with all of his discs landing on the right side of the target. The other one landed 10' away every time but they were distributed evenly around the target. The two throwers would have the same precision but the first thrower would have greater accuracy.

Monocacy said:
Back on topic: I have a GL and Opto Fuse on the way. Has anyone tried flicking a Fuse, and if so, how did it hold up for a reasonably clean forehand?

It flies just like it does backhand...It holds a turn a lot easier than a Buzzz or other stable mid.

Got to throw my Opto Fuse on a bunch of holes last night. Usually I field test any disc before taking it out the course, but I went for it.

I can't say that I find it stable enough to be a standalone midrange, but it definitely lives up to its reputation as a beautiful anhyzer disc. It held those lines as well as anything I've ever thrown, and certainly has glide to spare. It has virtually no will to fight its way out of even the slightest anhyzer angle. When thrown flat it would cruise for about a hundred and fifty feet and then start making a slow right turn. I didn't find its HSS to be all that awesome. But actually I wouldn't want it to be very HSS, because then it would just basically overlap a Buzzz. When thrown hard with a little hyzer, it would immediately flip up flat and fly for about 200 ft before it started its slow right hand turn. When thrown with moderate hyzer, it flipped up flat and came down completely straight. I also was giving the disc quite a bit of snap, especially when I got more used to it, and it can take it without flipping. It stays in control.

This is based on a rather flat opto Fuse. I bought 2 of them, and the other has slightly more dome to it.

In the end, I'm glad I bought a couple of them. I'm rocking a Fuse, a Buzzz, and a Wasp, which covers my whole range of stability needs.

So I would strongly recommend this disc to anyone who throws Buzzzes as their main midrange, as I do.

garublador said:
Precision usually means hitting the target you're aiming for. Accuracy is repeatability.

Say two throwers threw 10 shots at the same target. One of them landed 10' away every time with all of his discs landing on the right side of the target. The other one landed 10' away every time but they were distributed evenly around the target. The two throwers would have the same precision but the first thrower would have greater accuracy.

You have it backwards blador. Percision is tight grouping, accuracy is distance in relation to intended target.

Accuracy_vs_Precision.gif

I almost think I agree with you Mike but I really don't think the Fuse is that finicky of a disc, I honestly don't think the Buzzz is more forgiveable to bad form. Maybe, I can see why you would think so but I think the label of "predictable" put on discs seems to be more catagorized by their stability. I don't really agree with that generalization, I think the Fuse is VERY predictable because it can handle significant snap. I think what I'm trying to say is that a disc that flies laser straight is always labeled the less predictable disc when in actuality its doing exactly what we want it to.

Edit: drat, Jeronimo types faster.

garublador said:
The opposite, actually, at least as the terms are used in a scientific context. See http://honolulu.hawaii.edu/distance/sci122/SciLab/L5/accprec.html. Precision is repeatability (may or may not be accurate); accuracy is when the average of multiple attempts is on target (may or may not be precise).

rooneytunes said:
well put. now back to fawning over Fuses....
Yep, please fawn away. So, anyone flick a Fuse yet?

Edit #2: double drat, so does Discspeed. Thanks!

Good review Ryan...pretty much the same stuff I've noticed.

Jeronimo said:
I almost think I agree with you Mike but I really don't think the Fuse is that finicky of a disc, I honestly don't think the Buzzz is more forgiveable to bad form. Maybe, I can see why you would think so but I think the label of "predictable" put on discs seems to be more catagorized by their stability. I don't really agree with that generalization, I think the Fuse is VERY predictable because it can handle significant snap. I think what I'm trying to say is that a disc that flies laser straight is always labeled the less predictable disc when in actuality its doing exactly what we want it to.

I don't think the Fuse in finicky either, I just misunderstood the poster I was replying to. I thought he was comparing the Fuse and Buzzz as all around stable mids (which he wasn't). Any disc with a stability near the Fuse's is going to be affected more by wind or subtle changes in throwing speed/angle than a more stable disc. That is just the reality of the understable slot imo. I think the Fuse is the most forgiving and predictable midrange with designed understability that I have ever thrown.

garublador said:
I stand corrected.

Isn't it amazing how people rush to point out when someone is mistaken about something? It marvels me... Yet I felt compelled to do so myself.

When people are wrong on the internet, it's our DUTY to point it out, correct and then laugh at them.

Threw the Fuse more at league last night, in place of where I would normally carry a Z Comet.

Very controllable, and predictable when put into a turn. The only thing that I didn't like was the noticeable low speed fade the disc still has - when throwing a touch turnover (approach or drive) it had more fade than what I wanted. I really felt like in order to get it to hold a turn on a touch shot, it wanted to be thrown harder - which is contradictory to what I want to do on a touch shot.

Fantastic disc, and I'd recommend anyone to try it out - and yes, I'm being a bit nitpicky about it's (very small) flaws - but that's what I feel like I have to do when comparing to a legendary disc like the Comet.

I hear what your saying about touch turnovers needing a little more snap than you want to put on them. But, my 173 opto and 177 z comet have that same tendency. Both of them new, off the shelf need a little more coaxing to turn at lower power. That's just what I've seen.

The fact that the Fuse is not quite as delicate as a Comet (Z being my comparison disc on hand) while doing very similar things is exactly why I bought 2 more :)

Funny thing happened today: I threw my fuse on shorter, downhill hole that requires a very shallow hyzer to get there. I hit the line right but midway down the fairway, there is a cut through that the wind was gusting through L to R. My brother said, "that's perfect", and I replied, "ah, naw it's gonna straighten out...." And it did exactly that missing the fairway cut into the woods. This may seem pointless to share, but I can't say enough about how predictable and controllable the fuse is. Each time I take it out, I am more and more pleased with it's performance. It is paired with my stable of rocs and it fits in perfectly. Shots where I'd have to rip a roc to keep it up under a low ceiling are now the fuse's job.

booter said:
nice to hear you roc guys liking it. I got mine in but havnt gotten a chance to throw it yet :/

I still desperately want a Grip/Opto Pure Booter... Fuse is flying too far lawlz.