• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Get Lit! (The Fuse Thread)

Ha! I just got the same reply from them.

I went ahead and bought one on Ebay, I won't buy any more until they get some in.

Hey Guys,

I'm new on these forums. Been playing quite a while, and I play a lot with emiller (to give you an idea of the altitude I'm playing at). We've been discussing benefits and drawbacks of our discs for a while now, and I recently grabbed one of his spare Meteors to tinker with. I've spent probably the last 6-7 years playing with pretty much only an old CE Roc (so it's never really beat in per say) and a beat Champion Aviar (which I use for the majority of my upshots). I'll typically use my Aviar or Roc for most drives up to 300' (unless I'm rusty after a long winter break).

Either way, it's obvious that my game has been missing something in my ability to make longer turnover drives with a midrange (as we recently started playing a more righty friendly wooded course, and we're both lefties). I've always just used my Roc, but again, it's stability is high enough that it won't hold the line after I hit LSS flight stage. Now that I've thrown the Meteor a bit, I've begun to feel much more comfortable with my ability to make these turnover shots. However, at least for me, the Meteor has been a bit finicky and can easily turn and burn if I'm not careful.

All that being said, I think Miller and myself are both considering whether to try and keep an Aurora (QMS) or a Fuse to fill this gap. You guys think it'd be best to just take both discs out to a field and toss them back and forth a bit to get a feel for the discs? For the most part, I kind of feel that a faster disc with more glide will allow me a bit more flexibility, as it's easier to take more off your throw and maintain your consistency than it is to try and put more on and maintain consistency. But again, if the disc doesn't feel right in your hand, it flight characteristics won't matter much (perfect example is the Kite, which I originally tried in the place of the Meteor, but it was simply too domey). I'm leaning a bit more towards the Fuse right now after reading this thread, especially with the beauty of the GL plastic.

edit: The comment about speed/glide is pertinent to midranges not drivers or putters.

I have e moderately domey 176 Opto Core, that for me, flies like a brand new, heavy Pro-D Buzzz. If I need more L to R action, I use a Z Glide. (RHBH) Can someone compare the Fuse to any of these discs?
KP

n3tw0rkn3rd said:
Hey Guys,

I'm new on these forums. Been playing quite a while, and I play a lot with emiller (to give you an idea of the altitude I'm playing at). We've been discussing benefits and drawbacks of our discs for a while now, and I recently grabbed one of his spare Meteors to tinker with. I've spent probably the last 6-7 years playing with pretty much only an old CE Roc (so it's never really beat in per say) and a beat Champion Aviar (which I use for the majority of my upshots). I'll typically use my Aviar or Roc for most drives up to 300' (unless I'm rusty after a long winter break).

Either way, it's obvious that my game has been missing something in my ability to make longer turnover drives with a midrange (as we recently started playing a more righty friendly wooded course, and we're both lefties). I've always just used my Roc, but again, it's stability is high enough that it won't hold the line after I hit LSS flight stage. Now that I've thrown the Meteor a bit, I've begun to feel much more comfortable with my ability to make these turnover shots. However, at least for me, the Meteor has been a bit finicky and can easily turn and burn if I'm not careful.

All that being said, I think Miller and myself are both considering whether to try and keep an Aurora (QMS) or a Fuse to fill this gap. You guys think it'd be best to just take both discs out to a field and toss them back and forth a bit to get a feel for the discs? For the most part, I kind of feel that a faster disc with more glide will allow me a bit more flexibility, as it's easier to take more off your throw and maintain your consistency than it is to try and put more on and maintain consistency. But again, if the disc doesn't feel right in your hand, it flight characteristics won't matter much (perfect example is the Kite, which I originally tried in the place of the Meteor, but it was simply too domey). I'm leaning a bit more towards the Fuse right now after reading this thread, especially with the beauty of the GL plastic.

edit: The comment about speed/glide is pertinent to midranges not drivers or putters.

I'd use a Fuse over the QMS 90% of the time. The 10% of the time that I would use the QMS would be due to nostalgia. The Fuse is MUCH more comfortable to grip and rip than the QMS in my opinion with very similar results.

NoMoreTinCup said:
I have e moderately domey 176 Opto Core, that for me, flies like a brand new, heavy Pro-D Buzzz. If I need more L to R action, I use a Z Glide. (RHBH) Can someone compare the Fuse to any of these discs?
KP

I would say its going to behave more like the Glide (which I don't throw very often so I really lack experience with it) but the Glide is going to get stable and fade out quite a bit before the Fuse would. I also think the Fuse will fly further than the Glide if thrown at the same height. It's ability to float just above the ground on the lowest of lines is remarkable.

Jeronimo said:
I'd use a Fuse over the QMS 90% of the time. The 10% of the time that I would use the QMS would be due to nostalgia. The Fuse is MUCH more comfortable to grip and rip than the QMS in my opinion with very similar results.
That's exactly what I want to hear...verifies what I'm experiencing with the QMS.

Quick, someone offer n3rd a Fuse for his '02 CE Roc, it's still in great shape :wink:

:-D Miller keeps trying to get it away from me (it's still unthrown 172) I've had it almost as long as my used one, mostly I keep it around on the off chance the most horrible thing happens and I lose my current one. I wouldn't mind trading it sometime, but it'd have to be for something I really wanted, considering what they're worth now-a-days. Those discs really are exceptional. I've often wondered if any of the newer Champion USDGC would fly very similar to the CE plastic, but that's a different thread's topic :p

Edit: Thanks for the response by the way. Nice to know that the Fuse is probably the better disc.

This evening I squeezed in a few practice tosses with the GL Fuse, new Glo Z Buzzz, and a newish DX Roc, all in the mid-upper 160s. The practice field has a double row of trees, about 350' long with the rows spaced 35-40 feet apart. The Fuse was definitely the easiest to keep on the "fairway", and on low line drives the GL Fuse consistently flew about 5-10 feet farther than the other mids.

I found it delightfully easy to manipulate the Fuse's flight. Thrown hard and fairly flat, the Fuse tracked slightly right and finished with a small fade. Thrown low with a little anhyzer, the Fuse flipped up to flat, held, and then finished nearly straight.

I look forward to testing the Fuse on higher throwing lines, and can't wait to use it in the woods.

Is there a flight difference in the pearly GL Fuse as opposed to the regular GL? I've noticed that all of their molds have some pearly GL's and some more plain looking GL's, anybody know why, or if it matters?

emiller3 said:
Is there a flight difference in the pearly GL Fuse as opposed to the regular GL? I've noticed that all of their molds have some pearly GL's and some more plain looking GL's, anybody know why, or if it matters?

As far as anyone has reported, there are only 2 colors of GL Fuses, burnt orange and mustard yellow. Each of them are subtly pearlescent.

discspeed said:
emiller3 said:

As far as anyone has reported, there are only 2 colors of GL Fuses, burnt orange and mustard yellow. Each of them are subtly pearlescent.
From Lat 64 thread:
Latitude 64 said:
Gold Fuse is also run in Blue-metallic, Pink and Gold.

discspeed said:
emiller3 said:

Hm. On Ebay there some definitely swirly/pearly ones, and then some very plain looking ones. Maybe they aren't as different as it looks.

And yeah, I want to find one of those blue ones...

Got my orange 177 Gold Line in today. It's windy as all get out, I think I might try and throw it tonight when it calms down.

The Gold Line plastic isn't quite as grippy as I thought it would be. And it's a lot more flexy than I thought it'd be. Looks awesome in the sun, all swirly and pearly. Just looking at it by itself, it reminds of a beadless Roc? I don't have the two to compare side by side at the moment...

Gotta say that after several rounds with a Fuse in the bag, its getting more and more usage as I get more accustomed to throwing it.

It truly is a perfect compliment to a Buzzz.

Yesterday in a local doubles tournament, I was messing around afterwards on a hole, trying a big anhyzer line that I've never really tried before. I threw the Fuse, had it knick a leaf or something right out of my hand, and I watched it, expecting to see it just stable out and fall left after it lost some of its spin, but it didn't. It held a gradual anhyzer angle all the way to the green. It looked like a kite, the way it glided down and landed soft.

A great disc, and one that I'm definitely not going to be "over" in a couple weeks, like so many others.

well i think i ordered a GL Fuse from Clearwater last night :? :?: got all the way through checkout and clicked confirm but never got any sort of confirmation page (or email) a bit confused

Now that it is in the mid to high 90's here, I'm struggling with my grip on my optos. Even slight moisture on my hands causes it to slip out so easily. I guess I need a birdie bag or something, but I'm curious if the gold lines have a little better grip?!?

Can't imagine it does, just sitting here trying to grip it, I'm having problems. And I live in one of the driest climates of the country. Nobody else having issues with grip? I should reserve judgement until I can throw it, but I can't help myself...