• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Go with the FLOW

Spike said:
BLURR said:
Any chance of some side by side profile pic's? I am trying to decide which plastic to order. I am ordering up a River too. So I can only get one of the plastics for the flow
Here it is...
2dwdxr9.jpg

FWIW mine are exactly like those. Same PLH, flatter top on the GL.

Weather is sunny/calm for Sat :)

Sat Edit:
Muddy tees (very open course just didn't drain enough yet) did not help full-speed shots today. Domy Opto certainly has a bit more left finish, just not sure if it's glide or stability. I was hoping for a max D occasion disc with a higher percentage of success with wind/placement than my Katanas, and still have hope. They seem to require a bit more oomph than my PDs (which I am absolutely keeping), but do not fall on their face like other fast discs can crash if you don't crush them. Est 5% more D and 10% less accuracy in 10mph wind vs PPD.

Until today I had only used my Flows on basically one course. It is a very open course where most the distance drives do not require a very controlled tee shot. Today I went and played at my other home course, where the distance holes all have trees right off the teepad and gaps to hit all the way to the baskets. Often I fall in love with a driver at the open course, only to find it to stable to work lines in the trees. Or I like the disc at the control course, only to find that it fails in wind or when I really get on at the open course.

I am happy to report that the Flow (both my GL and my Opto) worked just as good for finesse D as it did for me in the open. This is the first Lat64 disc that I find necessary to carry both the GL and Opto versions as both have clear strengths over the other. The GL was great today because it is very grippy and is a little less HSS and LSS than the Opto. The GL really has some awesome glide. On a couple of drives I thought it was drifting understable too much and that it would get away from me. Each time it hooked up and finished forward. The GL is the best finesse D driver I've ever thrown. It reminds me a lot of a less squirrely and longer gliding version of my beat in E* Destroyer...It seems that the glide and slightly slower speed make it a lot less speed sensitive. I found the GL Flow to be most applicable on this course today as I did not have to fight any wind. I used it both BH and FH. There was only one hole that I needed the extra stability of the Opto. I was throwing at the long position of the last hole, and it is a 380'+ corridor shot through some sparsely placed pine trees. There is a non-pine tree about 60' in front of the tee with a branch that frames the hole and limits the ceiling to about 8-9'. So basically you have to hit a window and throw a low shot that works a very drawn out and tight S turn. My Opto flow was as perfect for this shot as any distance driver I've thrown on this hole. It flew exactly as it needed to, 4' below the ceiling and parked the hole.

Unless something weird happens and there is never another run of Flows like the FRs of GL and Opto, I will be throwing this driver for the foreseeable future. For me, it has the perfect grip, speed, glide, cruising speed, and stability that I need for 99% of my distance drives. I can blast it hyzer with everything I have, or back off and throw it flat/turned over to work lines. It comes off my hand smoother FH than anything I've ever thrown as well. This disc surprises the hell out of me because I think I'd honestly given up on the possibility that something this fast could be this good. I don't even care about trying other weights and colors because my silver and pinks are working so perfectly. I think that a lot of people on this board (smooth 380'-400' throwers) are going to be slowly coming around to this disc in the coming weeks. IMO, it makes everything faster than a Orc seem like it really sucks as an overall driver.

Meh, I along with Eli both find the Flow to be poop. It has nice glide and it is controllable (to a point) but it is Nothing like a Destroyer or Nuke. The Nuke and Destroyer are totally different. The Flow is a lot less HSS but does have nice LSS to keep it from turning and burning and also allows the Flow to be great at "S" shots.

I was completely unimpressed with this disc. I had two Pink Opto Flow (174 and 175), I also threw Eli's yellow 171 Opto. They remind me of a Sidewinder just faster and with more glide. The only line I enjoyed throwing the Flow on were helix (S) shots, it really shined there. Otherwise the Flow did nothing for me. I will also say that the Flow is easy to control for the most part I just do Not like it for max D shots due to the lower HSS. I know a lot of people are going to like this disc and be able to find it to be very useful, just not for me or my game.

I find the Discmania TD to be much better than the Flow, especially for straight shots. If it wasnt for the TD being so damn awesome I may have put the Flow in the bag (but prolly not for too long).

Anyway I just felt like throwing my opinion out there as I seem to be the minority as to not really liking the Flow. I do think Eli is there with me.

Leopard said:
well you guys are crazy and i know where you can buy some BUY SOME!!

sincerely,
buy stuff from where i say

I will listen master and I will be getting those purty fuse from ya tomorrow as well as some other plastic goodness for sure. I can say though that no Flow will be bought 8).

DJ -- i was kidding, i try not to spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam y'all

ALSO...
there is wild variation in the domeage on Gold Lines. i'm looking at a Blue that is 2/3 the height of a White.

also this is the first true White gold line i've seen. it has no pearl to it, it looks like white Star/ESP

i think it may have been the blue gold line run that came out less domey... i got a 171 blue GL and a 176 "light gold" GL and the blue is much less domey, and less stable... i like them both, would compare the light gold to a glidey beast... and the blue closer to a valk... anyway, that's my say...

macitude64 said:
i think it may have been the blue gold line run that came out less domey... i got a 171 blue GL and a 176 "light gold" GL and the blue is much less domey, and less stable... i like them both, would compare the light gold to a glidey beast... and the blue closer to a valk... anyway, that's my say...

Yep that's pretty close. I didn't throw the gold line that I ordered because the opto really wasn't that stable. This is going to be another disc that everyone claims to be great at first. Then very few will end up throwing it for very long. Everybody really wants to have something new but this one is a big ole turd!!!

Is anyone actually claming they've thrown an Opto Flow that was too understable? Or are we strictly speaking about Gold Lines, cause that's my experience and it's in line with how Gold Line always behaves for me.

Jeronimo said:
Is anyone actually claming they've thrown an Opto Flow that was too understable? Or are we strictly speaking about Gold Lines, cause that's my experience and it's in line with how Gold Line always behaves for me.

I am. I didnt throw the Gold Line, I only like the way Gold Line looks.

same here. I threw the opto flow... turn turn turn ... it did have some lss to bring it out of it. Not at all what I was expecting from all the hype.

that's what I said. I have 3 optos and 1 domey ass goldline that has the same dome ,weight (171-172) and plh as the optos and they all flew the same. Straight with very little turn when thrown flay and finished with a nice fade. I deflashed one of the optos and will be testing this afternoon

turso said:
Maybe they just suck and throw with huge OAT?

Stop vocalising my thoughts. :lol:

It's a possibility it's oat. I wouldn't know for sure unless I watched them drive.

turso said:
Maybe they just suck and throw with huge OAT?

Yea that must be it! Geez, what was I thinking. Thanks for diagnosing my throw there internet tough guy you are skilled beyond imagination. I just wish everyone here on the boards thats local to me who have actually seen me throw would have told me that years ago 8)

I apologize in advance for the long post. Just got back from throwing my blue 171 Gold Line. It has a big shoulder but does get very flat inside of the rim. n3tw0rkn3rd had his Opto with him and it was much domier.

The course we played at is 7200', so keep that in mind. I'm a lefty. It was also cold and windy. It's early, but here are the throws I made and my impressions:

Throw 1: Threw it flat and it went dead straight. It was very windy on this hole and I usually get some air bounce from my Eagles and Destroyers on windy days, but the Flow just knifed through it all. Unfortunately I hit a tree about 300' out so I don't know how far it would have gone. No sign of fade at 300'.

Throw 2: Threw it flat and into a headwind, this time it tracked a little left, but very slowly, and it never tilted anhyzer. Again, hit a tree, and it's a big downhill elevation, so I don't know how far it would have gone. It bounced ridiculously hard and fast off the tree though, I almost didn't see where it went.

Throw 3 (n3w0rkn3rd threw this one): Threw it flat on a very narrow fairway, got the longest throw either of us has ever had on that hole and didn't get that killer skip or fade that the Destroyer does that makes throwing it on tight fairways an impossibility. I threw his Opto and was surpised at how quickly it got out there, it had some sneaky D as it hit the top of a tree that I usually end up scooting up under.

Throw 4: My final throw on our 19th hole, it's a little uphill and 425', by my estimates it plays about 30' longer than it says because of the grade. I usually throw my Eagles and land them right at 400' or just shy of it, but it's been so long since I've landed my Destroyers on the fairway. I usually end up not quite getting them nose down because I'm aiming too high and they stall out, or I turn them way too hard and go OB in the creek on the left. This hole is the perfect example of the one thing I don't like about my Destroyers, I just can't finesse them or power down on them, they need to be thrown hard in wide open spaces. So I decided to pull out the Flow, I threw it flat with just a little tug down and left...that's my very slight anhyzer throw. The Destroyer never handles that kind of subtlety, it either inexplicably turns and burns or gets nose up. The flow took off on that slight anny line, held it probably 85% of it's flight, pulled out at the end and just barely got me back on the fairway. All told it was a 450' throw, I overflew the basket by a solid 25'. Probably my longest throw ever considering the uphill grade, and I didn't put much height on it either.

So, there's no doubt the Flow will give me effortless distance. But I felt an instant familiarity with this disc. I like how workable and controllable it is without be too understable. I like that the rim is definitely smaller than the Destroyer. I prefer the feel of the flat top so it's kind of a bummer to hear that the blue ones were the only ones that turned out this way. I was very pleased with its wind performance. I can actually see myself breaking this thing out on the course we played today, which is heavily wooded. I basically leave the Destroyers in the bag for that course.

It's gonna take a couple months of experimentation, but I think the Flow just be what I was looking for in a more controllable max D driver. Thanks, Latitude! I think I'm going to get a heavy domey one if this one isn't suitable for big hyzers, I'm afraid that this could end up getting too understable a little too quickly.

n3w0rkn3rd dyed his clear Opto, I thought it turned out sweet:

I did,i told you that the other day :/ haha. Jk. Na I can vouch for dj that he has not OATies. My guess is he and eli just got flippy crap of a flow. He had the same thing happen when the halo came out and mine were stable and his flipped very easy. Could be another coincedence