• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Go with the FLOW

Also forgot to mention that n3w0rkn3rd's Flow was seriously warped when he got it. The flight plate was sunken down halfway down into the rim. He successfully got the dome back with the hot water trick. If you order from DGC and that happens, that's what they'll recommend.

disc junkie said:
turso said:
Maybe they just suck and throw with huge OAT?

Yea that must be it! Geez, what was I thinking. Thanks for diagnosing my throw there internet tough guy you are skilled beyond imagination. I just wish everyone here on the boards thats local to me who have actually seen me throw would have told me that years ago 8)

Hehe, don't give up on the disc so easily, get a proper one and try it out :)

Of course if you regularly push discs over 550' or something, I might imagine it turning.

packaging these things is like wrapping an unstable element (ha)

you wanna make sure its snug, but not collapsible snug, or else you've ruined it.

still love mine.

ok I deflashed 1 and it's $$ now. Hard to tell the true flight still because it's windy here so until I get to a course where it's not windy,itll b in the bag. It feels good and gets ridiculous glide.

so if im going to buy a flow over the internet what color would i want to have the best chances of getting the least domey one? in GL and opto? also which will be the most stable?

Smyith said:
so if im going to buy a flow over the internet what color would i want to have the best chances of getting the least domey one? in GL and opto? also which will be the most stable?

I agree with the above post. If you don't want to throw a domey disc, then the Flow probably isn't for you. The ones with dome are the most stable, and the flatter ones, which are still not really flat, are the least stable.

Ryan C said:
Smyith said:

I agree with the above post. If you don't want to throw a domey disc, then the Flow probably isn't for you. The ones with dome are the most stable, and the flatter ones, which are still not really flat, are the least stable.

im asking 2 different questions.
1) which colors have the flattest dome?
2) which are more stable?

i am trying to find the extremes. one for me one for my friend.

Latitude 64 said:
Dome isn´t a bad thing if you want distance and glide combined...

Absolutely! Don't change a thing with the Flow, it's perfect.

eli said:
This is going to be another disc that everyone claims to be great at first. Then very few will end up throwing it for very long. Everybody really wants to have something new but this one is a big ole turd!!!

This is pretty presumptuous. I think your statement would have been much more true about the Boss, Nuke, Katana, or any other disc jumping up the speed ladder. The Flow is a step back in speed and has instead focused on glide, control, and (at least for me) grip. I really haven't given a shit about new distance drivers this year and I took the Flow just to give it a quick try and review it. The fact that it blew me away has everything to do with the disc. I don't make too many guarantees or commitments when it comes to my D drivers, but the Flow is a GREAT distance driver that will not only keep a lot of the current throwers who are into it, but it will continue to gain popularity as more people throw it over the coming year.

I also think you and DJ may be trying some duds...The ones I have (175 pink opto, silver GL) are nothing like Sidewinders. The Opto is every bit as stable as a Z Nuke, and the GL, though less stable, has a much slower and controlled turn than a SW, even though it's faster. I think you and DJ should assume there is something wrong with the discs you threw or the conditions before you assume there are a bunch of people here drumming up excitement about a disc that sucks in reality just because it is new.

Smyith said:

I seem to be one of several with blue GL which are flat inside the tall shoulders.

I did not seek flat, just a color that is better than white/grey in the coming months.

RS39 said:
Smyith said:

I seem to be one of several with blue GL which are flat inside the tall shoulders.

I did not seek flat, just a color that is better than white/grey in the coming months.

Ditto. It's as flippy as a beat in star sidewinder for me too.

Aside from blue optos being less domey/less stable what other trends have we found. I only have 1 nuke, and am still auditioning for that spot.

discspeed said:
I also think you and DJ may be trying some duds...The ones I have (175 pink opto, silver GL) are nothing like Sidewinders. The Opto is every bit as stable as a Z Nuke, and the GL, though less stable, has a much slower and controlled turn than a SW, even though it's faster. I think you and DJ should assume there is something wrong with the discs you threw or the conditions before you assume there are a bunch of people here drumming up excitement about a disc that sucks in reality just because it is new.

Booter has said this as well. We may have received turds. However, Im not to keen on having to track down just the right Flow. I was more commenting on how I just didnt like the disc. The four I have thrown are nothing what I want from a "Distance" driver, I have no faith in their flight. I had to be way to cautious of every little detail in my throw just to get a good flight. It seems to me a lot of people are loving how straight these Flow are and how they have a somewhat minimal fade, well for me that is exactly what the TD is for me. Especially in C plastic. I absolutely prefer the TD over the Flow hands down, no doubt. I also have a lot of success with the Z Nuke, the Nuke is so much better in Z plastic than its ESP counterpart.

Anyway Im sure plenty of people will love the Flow and one day I would love to toss one of the magical Flow that everyone else seems to have received, but Im sticking with my TDs.

Finally managed to get about 20 throws in with the Flow. Before today the weather was just too cold and windy for me to be able to get a real idea of its flight, or for me to have any fun.

Anyway, maybe my form/power wasn't what it was a couple months ago, because most of my throws were falling about 25' short of what they were. But the Flow held its own against the Nukes. I found it to have a little bit less HSS than my purple Z Nukes, and about as much HSS as your average Z Nuke. With a slight hyzer flip they held a very long straight line, tracking slightly right before slowing down and stabling out, with a lot less fade than you'd expect.

I'll agree that the rim is a lot more comfortable than a Nuke's. I basically have just forced myself to get used to the Nuke's grip, but this felt a lot more natural right away. I don't know that they have the low-line max distance potential of some of the really wide rimmed drivers out there, but they certainly get their D on a much straighter line, which is going to make me keep auditioning them for that slot. It will be either them, or the Nukes, because I can't see a reason to have both.

The Z nuke I picked had the most nutral plh out of the 20 or so at the wright life in the 168-172 range. It has quite a bit of high speed turn. Thrown with about 15-20 degrees hyzer in no wind it tracks right for the majority of its flight. I am considering picking one with a higher plh next. Most everyone else who throws them around here think they are more stable than I do. Granted I throw a bit further. Does the flow have a notch or much convex in the rim to make it more stable for a larger variety of players? Or do you think i will be in the group thinking it doesn't have quite enough stability.

eli said:
macitude64 said:
i think it may have been the blue gold line run that came out less domey... i got a 171 blue GL and a 176 "light gold" GL and the blue is much less domey, and less stable... i like them both, would compare the light gold to a glidey beast... and the blue closer to a valk... anyway, that's my say...

Yep that's pretty close. I didn't throw the gold line that I ordered because the opto really wasn't that stable. This is going to be another disc that everyone claims to be great at first. Then very few will end up throwing it for very long. Everybody really wants to have something new but this one is a big ole turd!!!
Maybe your opto wasn't that stable cuz you cut off the flashing (and a good bit of the disc) with a damn blade, that thing is a bit hacked up and I'm sure it lost some stability in the process.......wasn't all that hyped to get that in the mail today, the gl is nice though :|

Latest posts