• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip EQ large bag

What I REALLY want to see is this:

When I purchased my Grip I sent it to them and told them I'd be willing to pay $100 for something like that, and they said they would contact the guy and look into possibly adding that on. Haven't heard anything about it since.

I really think you can make all sorts of attachments for the grip utilizing the snaps that hold the rain fly in place. Make it more of a modular bag.

Might be a little loose, but if you jam a sweatshirt or a couple more discs in there you'll be fine. Or get an Innova u-channel divider.

Yeah, I'm trying to not lug too many discs around. As you can tell by my sig, I carry a crapton of discs right now, and I'd like to see how I do with a bare minimum (for me) of molds.

good. i just wanted to ask before i took an iron to it :) pictures to come soon

You can Iron the patches on but it is a tricky proposition. More often than not the heat activated glue on the patch will not hold on cordura nylon for long periods of time.

Also the nylon under the patch is hardened by the glue and if it's on a part of the bag that has movement eventually the flattened/hardened nylon will crack and create a tear.

The best way to put patches on is by hand sewing them with matching color threads. I won't damage the bag and can be removed easily if you ever want to change it out.

I've put some patches on mine I'll post up some pics....

You can Iron the patches on but it is a tricky proposition. More often than not the heat activated glue on the patch will not hold on cordura nylon for long periods of time.

Also the nylon under the patch is hardened by the glue and if it's on a part of the bag that has movement eventually the flattened/hardened nylon will crack and create a tear.

The best way to put patches on is by hand sewing them with matching color threads. I won't damage the bag and can be removed easily if you ever want to change it out.

I've put some patches on mine I'll post up some pics....

i sew every patch on normally but i could not get the need to go through the plastic inside. how did you go about doing that?

291c4d3.jpg

picture from the course today with the new grip

When I purchased my Grip I sent it to them and told them I'd be willing to pay $100 for something like that, and they said they would contact the guy and look into possibly adding that on. Haven't heard anything about it since.

I really think you can make all sorts of attachments for the grip utilizing the snaps that hold the rain fly in place. Make it more of a modular bag.

I contacted No Excuses right when this video came out to see if they could make something like this and I got turned down because they did not want to step on any toes. I understand why they didnt want to do it but man do I want one but without the speakers and add in solar panels to charge my phone as I play.

i really dig this, makes me wanna try and make something like this if i buy my own grip bag

I have it on good authority that their bag is not gunna be that grip bag with the dd logos we have all seen

Haha, well the one I saw did not have ANY logos on it, and when I asked the guy about it he told me it was a DD prototype.

Anyway, kinda bummed that they won't be making an improved Grip but at the same happy to see that they aren't willing to just blatantly rip off a design like that.

Haha, well the one I saw did not have ANY logos on it, and when I asked the guy about it he told me it was a DD prototype.

Anyway, kinda bummed that they won't be making an improved Grip but at the same happy to see that they aren't willing to just blatantly rip off a design like that.

Its gunna be an improved grip but its still in prototype stage.

i sew every patch on normally but i could not get the need to go through the plastic inside. how did you go about doing that?

If you are talking about the upper panels where the putter pocket and storage compartment are I didn't go through the plastic inside the panels.

What I do is get a long thin needle and bend it slowly and with a little pressure and make a half circle. I then stitch the patch on by inserting the needle in to the nylon right at the outside edge of the patch the using the curve of the needle bring it up just about a few centimeters from where I started the stitch and then go through the bottom of the patch.

I just work my way around putting a stitch in about every 1/16" or so. It's tough with the plastic behind the nylon but if you take your time it turns out alright.

I've been hand stitching stuff all my life so it might take a little practice first if you are not used to using a curved needle. A good tool to help is using needle nose pliers to control the needle.

If the patch has white backing that shows the stitches I take a black sharpie and color it to hide the stitches.

Don't listen to Fred. You buy what are called upholstery needles. They're already curved. If you try to bend a needle you risk splintering it and getting some serious steel jammed underneath your fingernails.

Its gunna be an improved grip but its still in prototype stage.

DD is releasing a modified Ogio bag. More square than a Grip. They had made a Grip clone as well. I refuse to call it a "prototype" because it was just a Grip. Same specs, same features. That's not prototyping, that's copying. I have no idea what the purpose was. I'm sure there was some logistical reasoning behind it. Anyone behind the scenes at DD is pretty tight-lipped. I will say the Ogio bag looks pretty interesting, though.

So I got bored tonight and mocked this up out of the player pack bag they gave out at worlds and a cardboard frame. Very rough draft, just to get some measurements. I'll see if I want to make this a project of mine over the winter. I've never done anything with fabric or any kind of sewing or anything like that, so this will be an entirely new thing for me. I still plan on adding the extra layer for speakers/ipod/phone, but first I have to figure out the best way to do the stitching and maybe redesign the frame a little bit.

I think my sister has a sewing machine I can use...

Attachments

• IMAG1542-1.jpg
    IMAG1542-1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMAG1543-2.jpg
    IMAG1543-2.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMAG1544-3.jpg
    IMAG1544-3.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 112
Don't listen to Fred. You buy what are called upholstery needles. They're already curved. If you try to bend a needle you risk splintering it and getting some serious steel jammed underneath your fingernails.

You can buy upholstery needles. I've been bending needles going on 30 years now. The reason I bend my own is I make them to fit how I like to work.

Maybe you upholstery guys can give me tips on best way to attach zippers and those button snap things. What are those even called? I need to start shopping for those.

You can buy upholstery needles. I've been bending needles going on 30 years now. The reason I bend my own is I make them to fit how I like to work.

And that's fine. I can bend them too. But I would never recommend that to someone I don't know doing it for the first time over a forum when upholstery needles are out there.

Was just trying to give the guy a better option that didn't involve risk to his skin or eyes is all. No offense was meant.