• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hard "dump over" disc for FH?

Whoa...disc golf....in the middle of the week?!? What a concept!

Man I'm lucky to play on the weekends. I'll up at CV on sunday watching the pros. You gonna be there?

patdabunny said:
Chris is right about the pic being in winter and playing much harder in the summer.

The right gap is much more dangerous for several reasons. 1) You have THICK trees on the right and if you miss, you're settling for a bogey. 2) If you go even slightly long, you're settling for a par (hopefully) or a bogey. 3) If you're short, you can run at it, but the ground falls of SHARPLY after the basket, so it's a "death putt." It's an easy 3, but I'm going for the easier deuce from the gap on the left. Again, if you have a FH, that's the shot to do. Heck, I've been almost 100' long on this hole (past #14 tee) and still taken an easy 3. That's why I almost always go for the FH gap.

Knock on wood, but I've never had a hard time in the right gap. Maybe it's my superior skills :D :lol:

I agree with your list about the right gap. I don't want anyone to think that there isn't any risk going that route. I've found it easier for me to go that route. I do see the benefit of going in the left gap but it also contains potential problems

1) If somehow someone where to hit a limb and go into the creek bed behind those trees, then they will more than likely going for a bogey.
2) Due to the elevation on the left side, you have to be concerned about your disc rolling if it lands wrong on your drive and on an approach/putt.

I think the elevation makes putting on this basket unique. Regardless of the route someone make take, there will be elevation involved, either downhill or uphill. In the majority of shots, I do think people should take the route that they can consistently and accurately hit.

This is a good example of one of the beauties of disc golf, two people can look at one hole and come to different conclusions on the route to take.

To add another dimension to the hole we're "arguing" over, I played a round with a friend and Feldberg. I wasn't sure what he'd do, since he doesn't throw FH that distance. As it turns out, he does a BH ROLLER (!!!) through the left gap (the FH route I take)! He birdied it both rounds in last year's Vettiner Open using that shot. As I watched him do it last night, I couldn't believe it, but with a quick stand up and dump over roller, it works and takes the left rough out of play. Crazy shot that actually works I would *never* have thought to try.

I guess that's why he's the world's best, huh? :lol:

patdabunny said:
To add another dimension to the hole we're "arguing" over, I played a round with a friend and Feldberg. I wasn't sure what he'd do, since he doesn't throw FH that distance. As it turns out, he does a BH ROLLER (!!!) through the left gap (the FH route I take)! He birdied it both rounds in last year's Vettiner Open using that shot. As I watched him do it last night, I couldn't believe it, but with a quick stand up and dump over roller, it works and takes the left rough out of play. Crazy shot that actually works I would *never* have thought to try.

Never would have thought of taking that route! :eek:

Did you get to play with him last night? How did you all do?

Yep, Scott R and I played with him (DF is staying with scott). Scott and I shot around a -4 and Dave shot a little less, as it was his "getting used to the course" round. I kept my own score in my head (as I always do), but no one else seemed to care much...

He's an interesting one. Very quiet if he doesn't know you. Once he does, then he opens up. Just ask him how much he likes Eagles...;)

Question: Dave was going on and on about how much he likes the S-TD when he was holding a clinic here in Finland. Did he actually have one with him? =)

jubuttib said:
Question: Dave was going on and on about how much he likes the S-TD when he was holding a clinic here in Finland. Did he actually have one with him? =)

Have you seen the size of Dave's bag???? That thing is CAVERNOUS! I wouldn't have a clue if he had one with him. He did rave about eagles, that's about it.

Scott plays the right side gap because he doesn't have a FH. You'd imagine that beause he's a Dave progeny. He uses a condor on that hole. ;)

Dave sent us the contents of his bag, disc by disc, model/weight/plastic. Dude loves his choicey Eagles. More EX than anything else by far, I was surprised.

Wish we had a better photo (read: video walkthrough) of that hole. I'll buy in that it's difficult... just hard to believe from that photo.

Standing on the tee it still doesn't look intimidating. It's once you get down near the hole that you see what awaits the disc. It's pretty devilish. Dave G definitely did take advantage of the lay of the land when he designed this hole. What makes it worse is that in the winter/spring, it's prepetually wet with a natural spring just above the basket. You can hardly stand up, let alone get a nice putting stance.

If you're ever in the area, look me up. I'll show you the course. I guarantee you'll like it.

sunspot said:
patdabunny said:

Never would have thought of taking that route! :eek:

Did you get to play with him last night? How did you all do?

That is interesting!

patdabunny said:
jubuttib said:

Have you seen the size of Dave's bag???? That thing is CAVERNOUS! I wouldn't have a clue if he had one with him. He did rave about eagles, that's about it.

Scott plays the right side gap because he doesn't have a FH. You'd imagine that beause he's a Dave progeny. He uses a condor on that hole. ;)

I caddied for him at the Stockholm Disc Golf Open and there's no cavern it's full of discs! :-D Heavy and the shoulder straps being thinner than my rucksack that is excellent also pressed harder on my shoulders. I don't carry as many discs though but have carried much more other stuff in the rucksack for less pressure on the shoulders. For a DG specific bag and straps it's pretty comfy. Especially if you don't mind dropping a dozen or two discs from it to lessen the weight. The course in Stockholm is hilly and there was a heat wave. Phew! Of course it wasn't that easy because I filmed the event and cameramen have to walk way more than the players or the crowd to get good camera angles and positions from which to shoot for every shot of every player. Often there's no time to take off the bag and put it on and find the correct spot for filming and make the camera settings right at the same time so I just had the bag on my back all the time except in waiting for the next pool to clear the hole. That happened twice I think.

I was going to caddy for him, but my medical stuff has reared it's ugly head and I just can't take even walking more than one round. It sucks. :( That huge bag wouldn't have been good for my poor legs...

What was funny during the round was we were playing and I made some really good shots and hit quite a few long putts, leading to a good score. Toward the end of the round, Dave asked me, "So, why is it you're NOT playing?" (Implying about my good play.) I felt kinda proud! Just to have him comment on it was pretty cool.

Latest posts