• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Harp - Kannel

I throw a Zone and Rhyno, so I am sure it is not so unusual to pair a fast overstable approach disc with a slower throwing putter.

Yeah, I have thrown a Scale and a Zone for years. Just recently tried the Harp and I prefer it to the Zone. But the Harp is closer in stability and feel to the Rhyno/Scale than is the Zone. And I am throwing BT Harps, one seasoned and one fresh, which cover a lot more shots than did my premium plastic Zones.

Yeah, I have thrown a Scale and a Zone for years. Just recently tried the Harp and I prefer it to the Zone. But the Harp is closer in stability and feel to the Rhyno/Scale than is the Zone. And I am throwing BT Harps, one seasoned and one fresh, which cover a lot more shots than did my premium plastic Zones.

So why the switch and what do you like better about the Harp? It is an awesome mold (not my preference but I could easily bag it again).

Well, I throw all baseline and beaded in putters and mids (except for a Champ Rancho Roc). The Zone was the outlier. And I don't like ProD or, especially, Jawbreaker. So I was throwing premium plastic. It was utility OS and super skippy, no matter which Zones I was carrying.

Harps, on the other hand, are beaded and feel/fly sortof like mini-Rocs. Plus, they come in great, stiff, cycleable baseline plastic. As a consequence, they aren't quite as skippy. Plus, I try to keep my mold count down, and I thought that MAYBE the Harp would cover Zone and Scale stuff. (I am starting to feel, however, that it will cover Zone stuff and some Rocs stuff, especially taking pressure off Champ Ranchos. These Harps go far with almost zero turn. Great headwind complement to KC Rocs. We'll see.)

80% for feel (mold and plastic), 20% for cycleability.

With this and the Zone being such great molds, I just don't understand why more companies don't have this spot in their lineup filled. Not that I really care but as of Infinite discs statistics, these two molds are also some of the best sellers. But what do I know, I am just an idiot that likes to throw pretty plastic for fun.

With this and the Zone being such great molds, I just don't understand why more companies don't have this spot in their lineup filled. Not that I really care but as of Infinite discs statistics, these two molds are also some of the best sellers. But what do I know, I am just an idiot that likes to throw pretty plastic for fun.

Well... Innova has the Gator, and the Pig. Prodigy has the A1 and A2. The Mortar (sp?) is out there, as well.

But these discs are also not ones beginners really need, nor should they want; ergo, they're not best sellers, so some companies concentrate on what sells.

Well... these discs are also not ones beginners really need, nor should they want; ergo, they're not best sellers, so some companies concentrate on what sells.

WTF are you talking about?

The Harp is routinely in the top-ten selling discs on Infinite. Not putters, all discs. And it is consistently the #1 selling disc from Westside. In fact, 5 of the top ten Westside discs are a Harp, in one plastic or another.

WTF are you talking about?

The Harp is routinely in the top-ten selling discs on Infinite. Not putters, all discs. And it is consistently the #1 selling disc from Westside. In fact, 5 of the top ten Westside discs are a Harp, in one plastic or another.

I meant the discs besides the Harp and Zone, per the comment/question to which I was replying. Innova can compete, but other companies throw their resources into other discs that sell better; that's why IMHO there's not that many discs in that very overstable approach area.

(And of course, Ricky Wysocki throwing aces and other great shots while winning 2 world titles didn't hurt the Harp's sales...)

I've been riding that Harp wagon since the first runs of BT Soft Harps hit the US and it's never left my bag.

Ricky might have helped some people catch on, but it's a great disc that I always find myself using.

I've been riding that Harp wagon since the first runs of BT Soft Harps hit the US and it's never left my bag.

Ricky might have helped some people catch on, but it's a great disc that I always find myself using.

I freely admit seeing Ricky using his Harp in videos is what first got me interested in it. Seeing Nate Doss use his Ti Buzzz at DeLaveaga was what first got me interested in the Buzzz, and I'm thankful for both because the discs are indeed excellent. No shame in any of that.

Of the bt plastics which ones are people liking the best? Are they all relatively the same stability, or is one of the versions more OS?

Of the bt plastics which ones are people liking the best? Are they all relatively the same stability, or is one of the versions more OS?

BT Hard for me. Haven't tried another BT plastic, but I do have a Tournament Plastic Harp. They're about the same stability. The BTHard doesn't skip as much as the TP, though. We'll see if the BT Hard straightens out with time and use...

BT Hard for me as well. I like throwing stiffer discs, particularly when forehanding.

I have thrown Harps in the other plastics. The VIPs seemed to have a slight bit less glide to me. Tournaments seem about like the Hards, close enough that I don't feel a need to carry both. The Mediums, Softs and Mega Softs are all fine discs for people who prefer more flexible discs. Well, maybe not the mega Soft; that seems like a bit of a gimmick to me, but, if it works for someone, great.

I like the Soft. It says OS longest.

I have all 3 BT's and VIP (not had TP) I really like VIP the best for throws but if I had to choose with BT, Hard in warm and BT Medium for colder than like 55

That's a good tip I live up in Oregon and our Summer's aren't scorching sounds like one of each is the way to go. I have a few premium plastic zones I just am not a fan of the baseline offerings by discraft.

That's a good tip I live up in Oregon and our Summer's aren't scorching sounds like one of each is the way to go. I have a few premium plastic zones I just am not a fan of the baseline offerings by discraft.

My only gripe is that BT Hard is pretty solid (and is my favorite) but Medium is almost too soft for my tastes, and soft is gummy.

I like Prodigy 300 for baseline, where its not super FIRM but not too bendy like BT medium feels to me. A BT Medium-Hard would be awesome haha, but yeah just get one of each and see what you like, to me its really the weather. In Winter the Mediums are WAY better because they firm up obviously .

Hard feels best for forehands, can also manage with medium. Hard does beat in quicker though.