• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Harp - Kannel

The margins are slimmer on the base plastic. west side is the smallest of the three. i bet if they know the demand is there they could oblige. but some molds do better or worse with base vs premium plastic. that may be in play as well.

long live the harp. and bard.

Harps are cash $$$ for my FH approach/tee game. I get more of a straight flight out of them before the fade on FH shots. When I BH them, the fade is considerably stronger. I think it's a function of spin compared to velocity as I usually get a lot more spin out of a flick than I do a BH. VIP harps are golden for backhand flex shots too.

I would say start with a VIP Harp and see how it does for you and then go from there. Personally I find that the Bt soft harps start out a tick more OS than the VIP whereas the VIPs stay the same for a good long while.
Fun fact, more spin actually makes a disc fly MORE stable. Also backhand shots typically impart far more spin than a forehand. It's counter intuitive but the physics check out.

Fun fact, more spin actually makes a disc fly MORE stable. Also backhand shots typically impart far more spin than a forehand. It's counter intuitive but the physics check out.

Not saying this is not true, but this runs opposite of everything I thought I knew. But no one has ever accused me of knowing anything about physics.

Not saying this is not true, but this runs opposite of everything I thought I knew. But no one has ever accused me of knowing anything about physics.
While it is true that spin makes the disc more stable, it does not make it more OVERstable. Spin reduces the amount of both turn AND the amount of fade.

I would guess that the original comment about Harp having less fade on FH is more related to OAT on release, which makes discs more understable.

Well actually, I just have a tendency to have more power (velocity) and spin with a FH compared with a BH. Therefore, with a clean FH the disc tends to fly more stable (straight) not overstable. It flies more overstable with my BH when there is less velocity and spin. That's just me though. My BH is serviceable but still needs lots of work and there's plenty of room to improve.

Sometimes I make the mistake of saying more stable when what I mean is more overstable. I'll work on that too.

Viva la Harp!

The margins are slimmer on the base plastic. west side is the smallest of the three. i bet if they know the demand is there they could oblige. but some molds do better or worse with base vs premium plastic. that may be in play as well.

long live the harp. and bard.

Maybe DD will mold the base plastic stuff here in the USA. I know they said something about molding here at GBO. Haven't heard anything since tho.

Just got a Tournament Plastic Harp from Infinite Discs. Unbelievable speed of delivery from Infinite; kudos to them.

The Harp performed exactly as I hoped it would. Goes straight, then reliably and smoothly fades out. Not a dump fade like the Gator, but a smooth fade that can be reasonably anticipated. There was some breeze today, not really a hard wind, but enough to be noticed, and the Harp held up well into it. I was throwing the Harp in a range from 75-175 feet, give or take, and for approaches to the basket. I have not yet thrown it off the tee or for distance, so we'll see how it does there at a later time.

The Harp is a great stable/overstable compliment to my Star Stud and Star Mirage in the 'approach/fast putter' niche. And it makes me look like the next Ricky Wisocky ;) okay, just kidding....

Harps never cease to amaze me. They just hit and stick so well.

I have a Copper TP Harp that I bag March-September and I just love it. I go with 2 BT Softs in the winter, but the TP is so good off the tee I may have to find a brighter one for the months with heavy leaves.

With the Harp/Bard/Stag/King firmly entrenched in my bag for the last year... relaying digging the Westside.

I have a Copper TP Harp that I bag March-September and I just love it. I go with 2 BT Softs in the winter, but the TP is so good off the tee I may have to find a brighter one for the months with heavy leaves..

Those coppery Harps and coppery Discraft Titanium discs do like to blend in with leaves and pine straw. You might look into a blue TP Harp; they're easy to find year-round.

Just got two tourney/goldline harps, green and about 173. They got some luster too them. Not a lot but enough to make me happy.

My soft harps have both incidentally gotten smashed into trees. Not tacos but close. Otherwise I wouldn't have ordered the tourneys.

The grip of the soft was just so perfect for the cooler weather. Problem is they just can't handle any hard hits.

Just got two tourney/goldline harps, green and about 173. They got some luster too them. Not a lot but enough to make me happy.

My soft harps have both incidentally gotten smashed into trees. Not tacos but close. Otherwise I wouldn't have ordered the tourneys.

The grip of the soft was just so perfect for the cooler weather. Problem is they just can't handle any hard hits.

I'll gladly take those smashed up soft harps off your hands.

Both of my soft ones look like boo boo but they don't throw hardly any different than when new.

My medium is like a paper plate now. Great for straight shots an turnovers. Blue VIP is beat to hell, but still almost as OS as when new. Would like to put another medium in the bag, as before my medium got beat in, it did have a unique flight that neither my OS VIP or its beat up state had.

Recently picked up a Pink VIP Harp that has shaved strokes off my game. I got it for those full power shots that I need to go left (RHBH) but shorter than my mids and longer than my putters. It is great for that.

What I didn't expect was its versatility as an upshot forehand disc. I didn't like the feel for forehands as it is pretty deep but it has this incredible mini skip/roll thing it does that is very predictable. Was under the basket on most of my approaches under 150'. It also excels as a short utility roller. Think 50' but somethings in your way or low ceiling. I can lay it against the pole easily.

Loving the harp.

I picked up a 174g white VIP Harp today. I was really looking forward to testing it, I was expecting really beefy flight with a big fade and big skips. Unfortunately the disc turned out to be way less OS than what I expected. It had great HSS, but it didn't fade much at all, kind of forward penetrating, although it didn't glide out on the fade. When it hit the ground it just skipped / slid straight ahead. This was on frozen turf, very hard surface. I threw it up against a fresh Verdict I just picked up as well and the Verdict was WAY WAY more overstable. The Verdict started fading during its high speed flight and it always had huge skips to the left. There was a huge difference. I realize that the Verdict and the Harp is not the same disc tho. I guess I was wrong when I expected the Harp to be a speed 3 Firebird

I picked up a 174g white VIP Harp today. I was really looking forward to testing it, I was expecting really beefy flight with a big fade and big skips. Unfortunately the disc turned out to be way less OS than what I expected. It had great HSS, but it didn't fade much at all, kind of forward penetrating, although it didn't glide out on the fade. When it hit the ground it just skipped / slid straight ahead. This was on frozen turf, very hard surface. I threw it up against a fresh Verdict I just picked up as well and the Verdict was WAY WAY more overstable. The Verdict started fading during its high speed flight and it always had huge skips to the left. There was a huge difference. I realize that the Verdict and the Harp is not the same disc tho. I guess I was wrong when I expected the Harp to be a speed 3 Firebird

Hmmm... my TP Harp has been the 'speed3 Firebird' and very OS disc you wanted your VIP Harp to be. I wonder if others here have large variances in their Harp flights... could be they're 'speed 3 Destroyers' in how different various runs come out...

So I'm converting to an all trilogy bag and am going to invest in the Harp for obvious reasons. I'm thinking of using it in my Gator slot for shorter OS approaches but not sure what plastic to get. I have a star gator and will most likely only use the harp for approach and not driving, but that could change. Can someone help me out with how they fly/land in different plastics

They all fly amazing. I have soft, medium, hard and VIP. I currently carry a soft, hard, and VIP. The VIP is the most Overstable skips the most. Mostly drives for me. I throw upshots with mostly the soft when I want it to really stick. I drive and throw upshots with the hard. I haven't thrown the medium much but It could potentially be a nice in the middle replacement for the soft and hard. Hard beats in the fastest, holds its HSS and loses a bit of fade first. Soft keeps its stability a long time, not sure about medium. Medium and hard both seemed less overstable than soft and VIP out of the box to me but not by much.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

So I'm converting to an all trilogy bag and am going to invest in the Harp for obvious reasons. I'm thinking of using it in my Gator slot for shorter OS approaches but not sure what plastic to get. I have a star gator and will most likely only use the harp for approach and not driving, but that could change. Can someone help me out with how they fly/land in different plastics

I've got the TP Harp, which is the Trilogy plastic most like Star plastic. Feels good in the hand, grippy but not TOO much so. My TP Harp is more overstable than my Star Gator, and (the Harp) is very good for me on approaches, but the Harp does skip more, as well...

Last edited: