• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Harp - Kannel

I have. A first run BT Soft and it's been in the bag since they came out. It still hits and sticks great and has decent stability still.

It looks like a piece, but throws like a beast.

Hit the band on what would have been a 275 ft ace with the Harp. Bummed it didn't go in but I must say that the Harp has never yet failed to impress.

bt hard replaced my envies for off the tee. i still bag plenty of envies for approaches and putting. but the bt hard won hands down off the tee. snagged a couple mediums recently and they are sweet but the hard so far won. love this mold

yeah I use envies now more than any other throwing putter, but the Harp is a gem, its a little thin so it allows it to fly straight and have a tiny hint (tiny) of turn before a nice fade. Harps are good. I like putting with a Harp more and more

I played a short course recently and would probably have benefited by having a harp in the bag. Normally I would power down on my midrange but i think it would have been easier to range with something like the Harp.

I'll play the par 2 near here with just a Harp often. Great disc to range, and it sticks well too.

Slightly underrated as a putter as well.

I want to get a Harp but I've heard people say that I shouldn't get a Hard or even a Medium as they beat in really quickly and don't stay OS for very long. Anyone have the same experience?

It is true that the Medium and Hard wont remain very OS for that long. However, they do remain reliably straight and very HSS.

I think the biggest thing that Harp does better than most is stay straight no matter what the conditions are. It is not an OS fade monster like the Justice or your Firebirds etc.

I want to get a Harp but I've heard people say that I shouldn't get a Hard or even a Medium as they beat in really quickly and don't stay OS for very long. Anyone have the same experience?

Not sure about that. In my experience, the Bt Hards have held up fairly well as could be expected from a baseline plastic. But, the Bt Mediums have this problem where when they hit trees hard, the flight plate dimples and you can't work the dimple out and the disc loses a considerable amount of stability when this happens. This has not happened to any of the soft or hard harps I have owned, only the mediums.

The soft harp is actually my favorite. It seems to start out the most OS and stay the most OS for the longest period of time. It's kind of weird because you don't normally expect that from a soft baseline plastic but that's how it's been for me. I like to bag a beat soft and a freshie soft. Paired up with a Pro-D Roach (or a Pa3), that covers almost all my approach duties.

Not sure about that. In my experience, the Bt Hards have held up fairly well as could be expected from a baseline plastic. But, the Bt Mediums have this problem where when they hit trees hard, the flight plate dimples and you can't work the dimple out and the disc loses a considerable amount of stability when this happens. This has not happened to any of the soft or hard harps I have owned, only the mediums.

The soft harp is actually my favorite. It seems to start out the most OS and stay the most OS for the longest period of time. It's kind of weird because you don't normally expect that from a soft baseline plastic but that's how it's been for me. I like to bag a beat soft and a freshie soft. Paired up with a Pro-D Roach (or a Pa3), that covers almost all my approach duties.

Yeah, thats what my friend said. I said I prefer the harder plastic and he said that Hard's don't stay OS and Softs are the only ones that really come and stay OS through a beating. He had one where the flight plate was almost entirely caved in (on a disc he's had for about a month), that he says is still very OS.

I'm looking at getting 1 stupid OS approach and a more glidey but still OS putter/approach type disc. I've been told that I could get 2 Harps (one in VIP/Tournament, and one in one of the BT plastics, which we were debating), but I wanted to look at the Jokeri, zone, Envy and the A2 to replace one or the other (from what I've heard Jokeri/Envy are more the OS putter type and Zone/A2 are more the meathooky OS approach disc). Anyone have experience with some of these as well as the harp?

I used the Harp for a while and really think it's an awesome disc. I agree that the Soft Harp tends to hold it's stability the longest, even when they look and feel like they've been beaten to baby food. The Hard Harps also held their stability pretty long, but did seem like they beat in faster than the Softs. The one Medium I had was pretty flimsy. It took one tree hit, got tacoed, and became completely unpredictable, basically flying like a Judge after the hit.

If you're looking for a one mold combo similar to the Harp, I would suggest going with a Soft-X or Pro-D Zone and an ESP Zone. Before I got into the Harp, I had a super meathook ESP Zone in my bag that I loved, but it wasn't practical for some approach shots like the Harp was for me, so it got sidelined. Fast forward to the release of the Soft-X Zones and those had similar flight and feel as the Soft Harp did and allowed me to put the Zone combo back in the bag. The nice thing about the Zone is that the Softs are more of a consistent driving/upshot putter, where the ESP is a great utility/meathook/skip disc that gives me more confidence than any of the premium plastic Harps did.

I used the Harp for a while and really think it's an awesome disc. I agree that the Soft Harp tends to hold it's stability the longest, even when they look and feel like they've been beaten to baby food. The Hard Harps also held their stability pretty long, but did seem like they beat in faster than the Softs. The one Medium I had was pretty flimsy. It took one tree hit, got tacoed, and became completely unpredictable, basically flying like a Judge after the hit.

If you're looking for a one mold combo similar to the Harp, I would suggest going with a Soft-X or Pro-D Zone and an ESP Zone. Before I got into the Harp, I had a super meathook ESP Zone in my bag that I loved, but it wasn't practical for some approach shots like the Harp was for me, so it got sidelined. Fast forward to the release of the Soft-X Zones and those had similar flight and feel as the Soft Harp did and allowed me to put the Zone combo back in the bag. The nice thing about the Zone is that the Softs are more of a consistent driving/upshot putter, where the ESP is a great utility/meathook/skip disc that gives me more confidence than any of the premium plastic Harps did.

I don't know why, but I never liked the feel of Discraft's plastic. It was either too flimsy/maluable in the hand or super stiff and slick, there wasn't really a good middle point. Thats part of the reason I wanted to try Prodigy/Prodiscus and the A2/Jokeri.

I think i'm pretty set on trying a harp in either BThard or VIP, but want a good compliment OS approach to match it, that can hold a good line and have a predictable fade with the VIP or be the zone-like stupid OS with the BT Hard.

I don't know why, but I never liked the feel of Discraft's plastic. It was either too flimsy/maluable in the hand or super stiff and slick, there wasn't really a good middle point. Thats part of the reason I wanted to try Prodigy/Prodiscus and the A2/Jokeri.

I think i'm pretty set on trying a harp in either BThard or VIP, but want a good compliment OS approach to match it, that can hold a good line and have a predictable fade with the VIP or be the zone-like stupid OS with the BT Hard.

Vip Harp is not a Z or Esp Zone. Don't get me wrong, the Harp is a great disc, but I would say it has a strong reliable fade, but not stupid overstable. It is actually more versatile than the Zone in my experience, so there is that. Just know what you are getting from a VIP. Now I have heard the Tournament is more overstable, but this info probably started when only the Dyemax Tournament was available (not the production), and that is usually the most overstable Trilogy plastic.

As for the compliment, I would recommend a Soft Neutron Envy, but that is just what I throw for that spot.

Vip Harp is not a Z or Esp Zone. Don't get me wrong, the Harp is a great disc, but I would say it has a strong reliable fade, but not stupid overstable. It is actually more versatile than the Zone in my experience, so there is that. Just know what you are getting from a VIP. Now I have heard the Tournament is more overstable, but this info probably started when only the Dyemax Tournament was available (not the production), and that is usually the most overstable Trilogy plastic.

As for the compliment, I would recommend a Soft Neutron Envy, but that is just what I throw for that spot.

Yeah, I think I'm just overstating how strong I want the fade. I have a justice for something really stupid OS. I just want something that has a very strong fade, and something that is a little bit more workable that can go straight with a pretty dependable fade.

Yeah, I think I'm just overstating how strong I want the fade. I have a justice for something really stupid OS. I just want something that has a very strong fade, and something that is a little bit more workable that can go straight with a pretty dependable fade.

Then the Harp should be right up your alley. It might take some getting used to if you plan to throw it forehand. I love beads for backhand, but it bothered me when I tried to forehand it hard, and that is why I dropped it from my bag.

VIP Harp is good for what you want in a workable straight to dependable fade. Perfect.

For your very strong fade OS needs have you considered the Reptilian Stego? A1 or A2 might in 400g might also be a very good choice. I've never thrown a Jokeri so I can't comment on that one. I am not sure that the Bt hard (or soft) harp is going to cover what you are looking for there. It might but I'm not really sure. I use a VIP when I want a skip and a Bt soft when I want a hit and stick. A flat top glow Gator covers shots where I want to throw it a bit harder but get the same flight and skip.

Zone would be a good choice also but I agree, it is tough to find a Zone in a plastic that feels good in the hand unless you know how to hunt for them.

Huh, So it seems like the Harp is somewhere inbetween the strong fade and straight to dependable fade that I've described....lol. I guess it just depends on the disc/arm. I've thrown a VIP harp that I could throw as hard as I could and it faded pretty solidly through the whole flight, so that's kind of what I'm going off of saying that its a strong fade the entire way.

As for flicking it, I should be pretty comfortable. I'm very consistent forehanding, and have a very solid release. I also flick a Roc3 normally, so the beaded putter shouldn't be that big a deal.

I know the Envy is a popular driving putter, but the Jokeri is interesting to me, and it seems like it has good amount of glide and straightness to it before the fade starts.

Huh, So it seems like the Harp is somewhere inbetween the strong fade and straight to dependable fade that I've described....lol. I guess it just depends on the disc/arm. I've thrown a VIP harp that I could throw as hard as I could and it faded pretty solidly through the whole flight, so that's kind of what I'm going off of saying that its a strong fade the entire way.

As for flicking it, I should be pretty comfortable. I'm very consistent forehanding, and have a very solid release. I also flick a Roc3 normally, so the beaded putter shouldn't be that big a deal.

I know the Envy is a popular driving putter, but the Jokeri is interesting to me, and it seems like it has good amount of glide and straightness to it before the fade starts.

Harps are cash $$$ for my FH approach/tee game. I get more of a straight flight out of them before the fade on FH shots. When I BH them, the fade is considerably stronger. I think it's a function of spin compared to velocity as I usually get a lot more spin out of a flick than I do a BH. VIP harps are golden for backhand flex shots too.

I would say start with a VIP Harp and see how it does for you and then go from there. Personally I find that the Bt soft harps start out a tick more OS than the VIP whereas the VIPs stay the same for a good long while.