• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Has the number of molds you throw increased or decreased over time?

Has the number of molds you bagged increased or decreased over time?

• Overall increase

Votes: 50 32.9%
  • Overall decrease

Votes: 68 44.7%
  • Stayed roughly the same

Votes: 34 22.4%

• Total voters
I was primarily and Innova/Discraft thrower when I started out but then I stopped playing for a while just before the Trilogy/Discmania/Overmold stuff started becoming bigger and since I have gotten back into the game in the last year. In that time period my bag and stockroom have exploded in epic proportions. Like the proverbial kid in a candy store! Except I'm not a kid anymore but I sure as hell do enjoy acting like one.

I saw something on Twitter that made me laugh the other day that said "Money can't buy you happiness but it can by you golf discs, and that's pretty close..."

So yeah, I carry more molds than ever and try MANY more than that. I'm sure eventually it will dwindle back down. Like PMantle, I too am a bag maximalist.

Started with one disc, ballooned up to 12 or so molds, got super serious about mold minimalism and only threw 3-4, and now I just sorta throw what I want to throw so it bounces anywhere from 6-12.

When I first joined DGCR, it skyrocketed. I was stoked to get out and find new plastic. But recently, with the joys of cycling, I'm way down in molds. Basically, in the last year I've changed to 20 total discs across 7 molds instead of 20 total with 18 molds.

I definitely carry more putter molds now than I used to, and more putter molds than any other class. I love throwing putters.

I basically try to keep the number of molds down, but the fact is I love trying new ones, especially when I'm in a mode of trying to improve my game. So it is kind of like a hedge, where desire to improve and curiosity is like fertilizer and water, but you have to keep trimming it because otherwise it gets overgrown and becomes too much to handle. Right now I'm mostly just playing for fun, so my bag is pretty stable. Pure, Buzzz, Volt, Patriot, Vision, Tern are what I use on a regular basis.

The # of molds in my bag have def increased and will more then likely keep increasing atm currently carrying 18-20 disc in the bag only a couple of the same mold just diff weights. I'd imagine its still gonna keep growing as well since there are a still a few out I haven't tried but want to also a few more c coming out that I am looking forward to. Tho still putting a my bag together so once i have more a a set bag that might change.

I actually recently realized that certain discs work better for certain courses for me. So my overall molds have increased, but I don't use all of them at one time. Swap discs according to course.

Definitely decreased. I believe I've got a perfect balance of complements right now. I do, however, have more discs.

I can't imagine ever throwing anything other than roc/comet for mids. It's just stupidly simple and effective. Once I realized that I just started to treat the rest of my bag in a similar manner.

When I first got serious, I spent a couple years carrying above 20. At my most competitive, I was carrying 13. After getting bored of that, I've started carrying a bunch of testers for fun, and I'm back around 20 again. My game is equally as bad again too coincidentally...:eek:

Once I was able to fill up my bag (22ish capacity), I had a ton of molds in there. Now, I'm down to 11 different molds. The molds I carry multiple of are:
BB Aviar - 4 KC (2 putters, 2 throwers) and a glow champ
Roc3 - 2 Champ 180
FD - c-line and s-line
Firebird - 1 des reading tour and 1 FAF 12x
Destroyer - Seasoned pop top Star and newer slightly overstable star

Ah, the minimalists are starting to even up the poll. How do you learn 20 different discs in your bag, and even worse, constantly replacing previous ones with new plastic?

Something I've never done, and cannot ever see me doing is, carrying two of the same mold in the same plastic.

Seriously? What do you do when you beat up a disc to the point where it doesn't hold the same lines it did when new? Retire it? Replace it with something different?

If you've never tried it your missing out.

On topic: Even when I was newer I was pretty minimal. After I had been playing for a bit and had really settled on what I liked it stayed that way for a long time. Aviar, roc, teebird, leopard, high speed driver (orc, then wraith, then destroyer as the technology progressed). Pretty original I know.

The last year has seen my add a couple of molds for the first time in a long time. I feel like I've got a bigger variety of options on the course now without complicating my decision making, which is the perfect balance.

It's been a rollercoaster, but I'd say it's been about the same. The biggest change has been the shrinking of driver molds and the expansion of mids and putter molds. I usually go between 8-12 molds in the bag depending on the course.

I'm currently in the process in cutting it down....its gravitating towards less drivers and more mids & putters.

Seriously? What do you do when you beat up a disc to the point where it doesn't hold the same lines it did when new? Retire it? Replace it with something different?

If you've never tried it your missing out.
It hasn't happened since I quit buying dx. I change discs a lot. It's part of the fun for me. I sometimes empty my bag and replace every disc for a round. I also have an all mvp bag.

My bag has tons of stuff in it I would consider to be 'bagged' at any given time, what's in my sig is my 'bag' at any given time. So around 8-10 molds around 14-18 discs.

I have also in my bag a few discs I like for Winter play when run ups are shorter and I can't put quite as much pop on a throw, like a Backdraft, Vein, and Stag are in there now. As well as a Da'E and Roc3 I'm giving another shot.

Side note does anyone else have Roc3s that are a little understable? Mine is going out to 200 or so catching a hit of turn and not coming back but at all.

Basically they are 275-300 and end 10-15 ft right of where I was on a Rhbh throw.

Side note does anyone else have Roc3s that are a little understable? Mine is going out to 200 or so catching a hit of turn and not coming back but at all.

Side response: Ya. The roc3's I've had have been all over the map. Some understable brand new out of the box, others utility beefcake overstable regardless of how many trees I hit.

Latest posts