• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Hatchet, opinion and profile pic

Really liking the hatchet (VIP) as something that pushes further out than my river with the same form and a little more snap. So far the hatchet has a healthy late fade regardless of how much I get it to turn over. I am curious how much of the late fade will beat out of it. It is a glide monster like most swedish plastic so if it does lose the late fade it could become a turnover bomber.

Every time I throw it some says "Dang, what is that disc".

Well, I tried it a bit today. Granted it was after work and I was pretty beat so not at my best.

This does not like headwinds. I was trying to see if any hyzer would get it to stay straight and it turned right every time.

In a tailwind I couldn't get my angle right either. Seems fairly sensitive as far as release angles. I did get one good throw with it and it definitely flew great. Lots of glide, some turn, some fade.

More sensitive than my Valkyrie, or I need to get used to it. I'll find out!

Definitely not a headwind disc but should work well with a tailwind.

The hatchet requires good form and finesse over power. I felt the same way you do about the River (had the river for a while before picking up a hatchet) and almost gave up on it. Then I spent a few rounds throwing it exclusively in my driver/fairway slot and figured it out. Now it is a staple in my bag in a few plastics. If my drives arent feeling right or flying right for me I will back off to the river for a few holes and that usually smooths my form out.

Give the hatchet some time, work the hyzer flip and throw it smooth.

I'll try that. Trying to throw too hard is something I struggle with. I've been working on form and hit those days where it clicks and I get nice easy flights. Then the next round when I don't, I try to force good throws and it's not good.

If the hatchet can help me clean it up and throw smoother then I'm on board. Gonna roll eagle/JLS/hatchet for a few rounds and see how it is

I picked up a Opaque VIP Hatchet yesterday. I only got to toss it at the shop, but it looks like the US fairway slot that I have been trying to fill for the last 3 years.
I never liked the Inspire or the Amp, both are way too nose angle sensitive. For over a year now, I have been attempting to beat in a ?153g? Neutron Crave into this slot. I love that disc, but the old Neutron plastic takes forever to beat in.
I am hoping this will pair nicely with my Crave, Volt and Motion for all my fairway duties.

I have thrown Hatchets for at least 3 years. I prefer Tournament Hatchets around 167-168, preferably bright pink. Brightly colored understable discs are always a good idea. :)

Hatchet is an amazing woods disc. It can do hyzer-flip to straight, hyzer-flip to turn, high anny, higher anny to fade, etc. Rollers, too. Just an incredibly versatile disc, very predictable for an understable driver, and at my low-300' distance one of the longest discs in my bag.

I will even hyzer-flip the Hatchet into a headwind if I need a late turn.

My current Hatchet has been in the bag for at least a year. I have not noticed much change in its flight once the "new" was knocked off. Whether it fades back at the end is a function of height.

Tourney Hatchet and domey S-FD cover all of my fairway driver needs.

Well, the Hatchet was uninspiring yesterday. It not the mold, its the plastic. Once it was in the sun, it turned soft. I bloody hate soft discs. When does this horrible fad with soft plastics end?

I bag both the Hatchet and Underworld for that understable control disc. In fact, the Hatchet was created with most of the same mold as the Underworld. For me, they fly very similarly...thrown flat, you see distinct turn, then it tries to flatten out and glides a long way. The Hatchet has just a tiny bit less turn, and maybe a tiny bit more fade, and a tiny bit more speed.

If I lose my Hatchet, I will probably get another Underworld. They are that close in performance.

Both of these discs excel at downwind drives, and hyzerflips and tunnel shots. Highly recommend for all but the fastest arms.

I need just a bit of advice on the Hatchet.

Sometimes I have these beautiful, very long throws, longer than anything else I have. other times I bury it in the dirt 150ft out as it flips over to the right RHBH.

I know it is me, not the disc and I want to learn it well.

What is the trick to getting that high consistent line that flips up and flies so well?

I can throw mids decently well (250-275), but really struggle with consistency on understable drivers.

I know the secret is the hyser flip, but struggle with consistency doing it

I need just a bit of advice on the Hatchet.

Sometimes I have these beautiful, very long throws, longer than anything else I have. other times I bury it in the dirt 150ft out as it flips over to the right RHBH.

I know it is me, not the disc and I want to learn it well.

What is the trick to getting that high consistent line that flips up and flies so well?

I can throw mids decently well (250-275), but really struggle with consistency on understable drivers.

I know the secret is the hyser flip, but struggle with consistency doing it

If you sometimes get a lot more turn than you expect, you're probably throwing the disc with some off axis torque. That could happen because you roll your wrist, or because you aren't following through in the same plane as you're trying to throw. I'm not an expert on form but I'm sure you could find some threads on off axis torque (OAT) elsewhere on DGCR that would help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZjEiznZfYY

About halfway through, Feldy talks about the integrity of your angle/line from runup to hit - I wonder if this might help.

My TP Hatchet 171g was a little more stable than my new 169g VIP, for what it's worth, if you're wondering about plastic issues.

Anyone still throwing this? Went to a local course and picked one up on a whim before I started (tournament 171g). Used it instead of my standard DX and Pro Valks. Birdied 4 holes for me as my fairway driver (admittedly on 4 holes under 300') Went right back into the pro shop and bought a second. My first Westside disc bit I'm impressed for sure! It just flew so nice. Tons of glide for me.

Loved Tournament Hatchets, threw them for years. I would still be throwing them if lower weights were available consistently.

Anyone still throwing this? Went to a local course and picked one up on a whim before I started (tournament 171g). Used it instead of my standard DX and Pro Valks. Birdied 4 holes for me as my fairway driver (admittedly on 4 holes under 300') Went right back into the pro shop and bought a second. My first Westside disc bit I'm impressed for sure! It just flew so nice. Tons of glide for me.

Yep; Love my Hatchets! Perfect for my ~300' noodle arm.

Have 3 in the cart: 171g VIP, 171g TP Burst and 166g TP. All my understable Fairway needs covered...

im not against them but i found other molds to give similar flight with a much more comfortable rim the hatchet was too pointy

The problem with the Hatchet is the very crappy plastic they are made with. They start out understable but go flippy really quick. I would equate their translucent premium to wear in very similar to a mid grade

Having said that, they start out flying awesome.

The problem with the Hatchet is the very crappy plastic they are made with. They start out understable but go flippy really quick. I would equate their translucent premium to wear in very similar to a mid grade

Having said that, they start out flying awesome.

Hmm, another MVP troll....

Latest posts