• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hobos: course hazard or new friends?

evansr10

Par Member
Post your homeless people stories here. Whether it's hobos rummaging through trash or taking a leak on the #9 basket, in this hard economy you're bound to run into a few hobos. Because if your home course is anything like mine, there are plenty of bums who like to gather around particular holes and yell "FORE! FORE! FORE!" over and over again. I just treat them like any other course hazard.

At Morley Field there were always guys who would go look for lost discs on the course so they could turn them in and claim the finder's fee, then use that money to pay for their play band for the day. That's dedication.

Mcclure in Tulsa on hole 10(I think) maybe 9. They hang out on the left side and the whole area smells like pee and poo

I would say friends. About 20 years ago my college buddies and I took a NYC bum to a Syracuse vs St. Johns basketball game in Madison Square Garden. We had 1 buddy not make it at the last minute so we grabbed a bum off the subway and took him along. We gave him beers and hot dogs for 2 hours and he probably said all of 3 words. Funny ****. But he had a good meal, heat and some free beers. It was my buddy Dale's idea and it was a true classic. The looks we got in the stands were great.

Bums are people too.

The Little Lehigh Parkway has some hobos that sleep (live) under the bridge on hole 6. The hole is tricky because you've got a 250-300' initial straight drive, turn 90 degrees to the left and then another 200-250' throw across the Little Lehigh and up hill. Needless to say, I always seem to throw one that doesn't turn over and lands way closer to the bridge than I'm comfortable. While I don't know of anybody getting any ish from the hobos, it always gives me the creeps when I have to hike over to my disc.

Gregg Paas Memorial (located on a church property) in Safety Harbor FL, I didnt actually see a homeless man, but I saw his home. It creeped me out a little bit playing basically over this guys home. It was a grocery cart with tarps setup around and over it. I played those 2 holes quickly because there was noone around. I don't think he was around, but I assume it was someones home, or at the very least where he stashes his valuables.

Maybe it was karma that this person wasn't around because my wife and I actually gave a jar of peanut butter to a homeless guy earlier in our road trip who was sitting eating a plain loaf of bread outside a grocery store. We figured the peanut butter would be better than nothing for him.

At the park where I basically learned to play when O started (MacGregor) there is/was a Homeless dude named Tony that would walk through with a backpack on. Well we played with two older black dudes named Al and "Red" who knew him from there past days playing there and introduced my dad to him. My dad would give him a beer from tyime to time and say hey as he was walking by and to this day he still goes through the park when I visit and maybe now since I'm 21 I will offer him a beer.

The two guys we played with were also some cool cats and I actually would go out and play some BG with them when I was about 14. Red had been all over from a former music manager turned homeless guy in years before we met, he then lived in government housing across the bayou from the course.

Al was a slick old black dude who would always tee off last even if he had just gotten 6 birds in a row! They both were great commentators and would throw some real crazy shots like Red would sometimes throw lefty for no reason but could throw it well.

Well Red died right after I won worlds back in 2004 from a short bout with cancer and I was just told a few months back that AL died almost two years agp. Those were some really cool old dudes that had some great stories and were nice as could be to a little white kid.

On a side note, there was another guy who for a year or so would putt at the baskets throughout the days with a KC Eagle with two holes in it but he was money within 40ft. Don't think I ever saw him play a round though. Also another old guy who would show up and start doing crazy military drills from time to time and seemed to have a few issues.

Houston's 3 ward for those who aren't familiar with this "hood"

I would say friends. About 20 years ago my college buddies and I took a NYC bum to a Syracuse vs St. Johns basketball game in Madison Square Garden. We had 1 buddy not make it at the last minute so we grabbed a bum off the subway and took him along. We gave him beers and hot dogs for 2 hours and he probably said all of 3 words. Funny ****. But he had a good meal, heat and some free beers. It was my buddy Dale's idea and it was a true classic. The looks we got in the stands were great.

Bums are people too.

That's funny and reminds me that, when I was in college, my friends and I once did the same thing with a guy we'd seen who was collecting aluminum cans. We had an extra ticket to a University of South Carolina BB game and asked him if he wanted to go with us. He said sure and he really loved it! He had never been to a game there and said he had always to go sometime.

Unlike your guy, however, he would yell out "Go COCKS!" just like us + other students and fans. At home football games, you can hear 50,000+ yell this!

Sloppydisc said it: "bums are people too".

I came out to my car after lunch and started to get in to go to a business meeting when I realized that my keys were in the ignition and all the doors were locked. No time for triple-A, so I went around back of the restaurant where I saw a half-dozen bums hanging out with their shopping carts full of who-knows-what.

I offered any of them five bucks if they could come out with a slim-jim and pop the lock on my car and half a minute later, I was on the road.

Now on the DG course, well, I just generally try to avoid them like they were trees. Sometimes I succeed, and sometimes I don't :D

I took a group of people who were rather new golfers (including some ladies) out to Oak Grove in Pasadena about 7 years ago. I was on one of the later holes, possibly 15 or 16, and this crazy homeless guy drugged out of his mind San Fran style comes charging out of the bushes yelling all kinds of unintelligible words.

Years later I heard the guy still lived in those bushes next to that bathroom. Good 'ol Oak Grove. That guy truly scared several people that day.

My home course is in the ghetto to yeah, there are some that show up from time to time. One guy can always be seen riding his bike across the course. He'll come up to you and ask for the time, then ask for some spare change. The creepy guy was the guy who would sid at the end of hole 14 on hot days with a cooler and offer to sell you bottled water. Turns out the guy was a sex offender or child molester, can't remember which. Disturbing either way though.

I took a group of people who were rather new golfers (including some ladies) out to Oak Grove in Pasadena about 7 years ago. I was on one of the later holes, possibly 15 or 16, and this crazy homeless guy drugged out of his mind San Fran style comes charging out of the bushes yelling all kinds of unintelligible words.

Years later I heard the guy still lived in those bushes next to that bathroom. Good 'ol Oak Grove. That guy truly scared several people that day.

whats his name?..i know exactly who youre talking about. i was told he was part injun so he has a shack on the hahamunga property and drinks keystone all day. totally skitzo. totally oak grove. ive played that course a couple hundred times in my time shooting and have only seen him a handfull of times, including 2/13, the first day of the OG wintertime open. he was howling at one of nikkos bad drives. or the ghosts. maybe both. im sure as **** not going to axe him.:\

epic thread, btw.:thmbup:

I was in Vegas a couple years ago and had the chance to play some of thier courses. They were pretty flat and open with the 2 main obstacles being sparse trees and bums. I was actually excited to be there but really disappointed to not be able to throw any rollers. Bums are the Manatee of disc golf courses.

I actually saw one at the course in Wooster, OH. Which is really odd cause it just isnt a place you normally see bums. Park was pretty active though and it seemed he had a meal just out of the food people waste he dug out of the trash cans.

I really wish I had some cash on me, but I never do.

whats his name?..i know exactly who youre talking about. i was told he was part injun so he has a shack on the hahamunga property and drinks keystone all day. totally skitzo. totally oak grove. ive played that course a couple hundred times in my time shooting and have only seen him a handfull of times, including 2/13, the first day of the OG wintertime open. he was howling at one of nikkos bad drives. or the ghosts. maybe both. im sure as **** not going to axe him.:\

epic thread, btw.:thmbup:

I didn't manage to get his name or information unfortunately... hehe. I was too busy eyeing his hands to make sure he wasn't going to shank me. I've spent a bunch of time in San Fran and had a couple experiences that taught me to watch the hobos like hungry stray dogs - you never know when they are going to bite. I have played there maybe 10 times and only seen him once, but the locals also indicated he was a fixture - they were completely used to it. He was lit up like a Xmas tree at like 11AM.

/My compassion is overwhelming isn't it? :gross:

A couple courses near my house have some solid hobo populations. They chill under this bridge. Sometimes they tell you they found some real obscure discs and ask if you want em. When you go under the bridge they just pull their weiners out. We all laugh together and give them a high five cus they played such a great trick on us. Actually we don't have any hobos. I think the rangers do a great job of shewing them away.

one of my buddys from Las Vegas told me a story of how they got to the first tee at one of the courses to see a bum literally bbq'ing chicken inside hole 1's basket. I guess it's happened more than once. At my local course we have a guy that seems to always be walking through the course hammered talking to himself. Not sure he even speaks english. He has somewhat of a clue and waits for you to throw most of the time.

A couple courses near my house have some solid hobo populations. They chill under this bridge. Sometimes they tell you they found some real obscure discs and ask if you want em. When you go under the bridge they just pull their weiners out. We all laugh together and give them a high five cus they played such a great trick on us. Actually we don't have any hobos. I think the rangers do a great job of shewing them away.

Lol!