• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hooker: ultra portable disc retriever

Impact Discs

Hey guys,

I'm posting here to share our Kickstarter campaign, Hooker: An ultra portable disc retriever. We are more than half way funded now and wanted to get all the feedback possible. Good or bad.

The Hooker attaches to any long stick with an industrial strength velcro strap allowing you to hook and retrieve your disc out of water within a reasonable distance. After you're done just clip it to your bag with the provided carabiner.

Attachments

• kickstart.jpg
    kickstart.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 65
  • hooker4.jpg
    hooker4.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 73
Just wondering, did you guys try an elastic band on it? I feel like that might give a tighter hold on the sticks.

We tried a couple options and this was the most reusable. Attached is a photo showing the strength and hold on the stick.
hookerweight_1024x1024.jpg

I was concerned that it might slide off the stick but seems to be pretty strong!

I was going to pledge the $250 retail package of 50 until I saw the $40 shipping charge added on. Looks cool though

Looks like you need a stick with some sort of knot or flare on the end for the Velcro to hold. Has it been tested with a smooth rod or tapered stick?

Looks like you need a stick with some sort of knot or flare on the end for the Velcro to hold. Has it been tested with a smooth rod or tapered stick?

Oh, the Hooker works with all rods and stick shapes. Even excels the knobbier the shaft is, you're right about that.

Not to belittle the idea but generally if i've been able to find a stick long enough to reach the disc, I don't need anything else. The trick is getting something that reaches further than the average stick you can find laying around. The attraction for some of the retrievers is they come with an extendable pole or string so I don't have to go looking for a long enough stick.

Have you tried one tied to a string?

I like this idea. Yes, you can usually fish out the disc with a stick, but this will make it a lot more of a sure thing.

Two things that really made me commit.... First, it's pretty inexpensive. For less than the price of one disc, I can have it in my grabby hands. Second, it's small and unobtrusive. No telescoping rods to worry about, no string to wind up.

I hope you make your goal and get these produced. I'll be happy to have a hooker on my bag.

I like this idea. Yes, you can usually fish out the disc with a stick, but this will make it a lot more of a sure thing.

Two things that really made me commit.... First, it's pretty inexpensive. For less than the price of one disc, I can have it in my grabby hands. Second, it's small and unobtrusive. No telescoping rods to worry about, no string to wind up.

I hope you make your goal and get these produced. I'll be happy to have a hooker on my bag.
You like cheap Hookers.

Oh, the Hooker works with all rods and stick shapes. Even excels the knobbier the shaft is, you're right about that.

IDG, now just put your mind in the gutter and think about how this comes across...:D.

Sounds like those hookers are working it hard to grab those knobby shafts for that $12 :doh:!

BTW, cool product. I just might have to commit to one before the Kick starter ends.

Last edited:
I think this has potential, however I would prefer a model that folds together to take up less room carrying it. And possibly 3 claws, with the two outside claws folding in for more compactness.

Not to belittle the idea but generally if i've been able to find a stick long enough to reach the disc, I don't need anything else. The trick is getting something that reaches further than the average stick you can find laying around. The attraction for some of the retrievers is they come with an extendable pole or string so I don't have to go looking for a long enough stick.

Have you tried one tied to a string?

it looks like the hooker has a hole in the right place to accept a string. the problem would be getting the hooker to land on her front side so it would latch on to the disc. the hooker would be of little use if the she landed upside down, which it probably would judging by the aerodynamics/shape. it would be useful if there was some kind of float on one side that would make the hooker land on her feet as she sinks.

There's a place in the world your bag for a cheap hooker.

Latest posts