• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much wind is too much

How much wind is too much?

• Greater than 10 mph

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • Greater than 20 mph

Votes: 88 37.9%
  • Greater than 30 mph

Votes: 64 27.6%
  • Greater than 40 mph

Votes: 28 12.1%
  • I'm from Kansas and play until I see Dorothy's house fly by

Votes: 37 15.9%

• Total voters
If I'm doing fieldwork, anything over 10mph affects the flight of the disc so much that it makes it hard to gauge the quality of the throw.

I agree. I usually do field work for about an hour after getting off of work. Yesterday I had my mids bucket and today my fairway disc bucket but both days the wind was about 12 - 15 mph. After about a half hour I gave up realizing my practice wasn't going to help my play at all. Headed home to practice putting.

I want to play in a steady 30 mph wind preferably a headwind. I really just want to do it so I can gain some points but also to watch the look on peoples face when I look like a genius for carrying a fresh McStar DS and an almost FAF Firebird. I might need to pick up a Stego first.

I agree. I usually do field work for about an hour after getting off of work. Yesterday I had my mids bucket and today my fairway disc bucket but both days the wind was about 12 - 15 mph. After about a half hour I gave up realizing my practice wasn't going to help my play at all. Headed home to practice putting.

But it will help. It's frustrating as hell, but it is necessary. The point is to pay attention to what discs work for you in the various directions the wind is flowing. Make note of it & apply what you learn in your next tournament, where hopefully the others who don't practice throwing in the wind are flustered because there discs are everywhere else on the course but where they want it. But because you've practiced, your discs are closer to pin for the drop in birdie.

And the same goes for playing in the rain.

I like playing in the wind sometimes, I find it fun to watch the disc hit thermals and rapidly rise or drop. What wasn't fun was the day it was so windy, I managed to throw an Eagle 150' forward, then have a gust of wind make it land 50' behind me.

wIND ROUNDS MAKE FOR ENTERTAINING SHOTS AND FORCE YOU TO PLAY FAMILIAR HOLES IN NEW WAYS. i LOVE THEM.

caps lock, **** it.

yeah, I have to agree... there is never too much wind!

'sides, there is nothing more funny than watching someone on their 9th putt attempt only to watch it sail away again :D

I love heavy winds, but I don't expect to put up the same scores as calm/mild wind rounds. I turn my putter upside down when putting and usually disc up.

I've never thought of that... I just try to play the wind when putting... keep it low and hope to get the drop in

By far my least favorite weather to play in. Wind.

If you take it for what it's worth and just have fun and laugh at the redirections of the disc, it can be a fun "experience"...

I've never thought of that... I just try to play the wind when putting... keep it low and hope to get the drop in

My best tourney rounds were at a very windy BG Ams, and I putted flat and confidently. That was anything but consistent though. After watching Jay Dub putt just as consistently with an upside down FB in the wind as with the Softie in the calm, I've been convinced.

...After watching Jay Dub putt just as consistently with an upside down FB in the wind as with the Softie in the calm, I've been convinced.

Thanks, I intentionally go out in the wind for variety and I am going to give this a try. Since I'm new and undeveloped, I don't carry anything faster than an Amp. Is this adequate for wind putting or should I add a 'real' driver to the bag?

Not sure what you mean by "real" driver. Experiment with every disc in your bag. It does take a little getting used to.

Checked the weather this morning and saw it would be 20+ all day and decided to take the day off (I play 6.5 days per week).

It's good to practice in the wind sometimes in case you get wind in a tournament.

But it's definitely not "fun."

It has a lot to do with disc weight and the height of your throw as well. Keep em low. :hfive:

We had some gnarly winds around here yesterday (40+ MPH sustained, gusts over 60).
Didn't think I would try to play, but I just couldn't resist.
The course was a little 9-hole pitch & putt, all but 3 holes in the woods. So the wind was really only a factor on a couple of throws. Like the 4 foot putt, straight into the wind. AAAAARGH!! Shoulda been a birdie, but turned into a bogie.
As I'm lining up the putt, the likelihood of the disc lifting & sailing over the top of the basket is going through my mind. So I make, what I think are adjustments to compensate. HA! The disc was released with nose down, but apparently not low enough. The wind picked the disc up & carried it right over the top of the basket. Then, of course, the putt back was slapped down hard on the return attempt.
Anyway, yes, there is a wind speed that just makes playing out in the open difficult.
In the woods, the wind didn't quite have as much impact on the disc.
It was fun, regardless.

We had some gnarly winds around here yesterday (40+ MPH sustained, gusts over 60).
Didn't think I would try to play, but I just couldn't resist.
The course was a little 9-hole pitch & putt, all but 3 holes in the woods. So the wind was really only a factor on a couple of throws. Like the 4 foot putt, straight into the wind. AAAAARGH!! Shoulda been a birdie, but turned into a bogie.
As I'm lining up the putt, the likelihood of the disc lifting & sailing over the top of the basket is going through my mind. So I make, what I think are adjustments to compensate. HA! The disc was released with nose down, but apparently not low enough. The wind picked the disc up & carried it right over the top of the basket. Then, of course, the putt back was slapped down hard on the return attempt.
Anyway, yes, there is a wind speed that just makes playing out in the open difficult.
In the woods, the wind didn't quite have as much impact on the disc.
It was fun, regardless.

Still cleaning up the mess around the neighborhood. That wind was crazy. I love that you stepped up and gave it a shot, Shide. Really not a bad day, outside of the rainless hurricane, lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts