• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If you could only use one disc what would it be?

I'd go Amber Gila.

Fast enough to push out to 350 ft but also great at powering down. Capable of FH lines and fighting winds.

Basically a more broad power range Roc is what I'd want and the Gila is that.

It won't hold a turn over but the FH capabilities make it worthy of my One Disc Challenge mold.

I don't actually bag one but Eclipse Envy is the most versatile disc on the market and would be my choice if I could only play with a single disc

Same.
I can do a LOT with an envy. Including putt very well.

I bag an envy to play with and putt with. Also use it to putt when I putt head winds. Cause envy dont care much about your head wind.

Oooh and especially if it's "one disc" all the time other wise you could never play night golf again.

Good answer sir. I had never thought of that until right now with the one disc questions. Just came in from after work/ night disc with the dog. Sunset at 4:30.. Bah.. Two glow envy and I was set though.

I like this answer too. That'd probably be my choice.

The Groove is #2 obviously :D

I've thrown a LOT of discs.
I own a lot of discs.
I've watched so many people of so many skill levels throw so many discs.

And.
The envy is just in a category of its own when it comes to putters.

There are purists out there who will never give it a thought or a try, and they are truly missing out.

If you were to look at one of the best all around putters, envy is one of them.

I mean, it did win #1 on the huge poll on reddit as well.

The disc flies like a midrange, but can also fly like a putter.
It has glide, but it also has wind resistance and fight.
It will hold lines, and push lines.
And you can putt with it.

There are other great putters out there, but I cannot get them to do most of the things I can make an envy do.

The uniqueness of the envy really gives it a special spot in the disc hall of fame if you ask me.

Because its a putter, but it doubles as a midrange.

I'm not afraid to push the envy to 300, and it likes it, that's the part that is nasty about it.
When you got even more power than me, it will easily push 350+

I've watched a guy throw envy's 380 repeatedly like it was no issue.

The disc is perfectly fine with being treated like a fine lady and being elegant and soft.

Or you can go full MMA with it and its like "okay lets do this." and totally fights back.

They do loose some charm over time and you gotta cycle. But it takes a bit, and having a premium plastic envy that gives you that turnover flight without its name being "proxy" is really good.

I can literally take a giant dump all over the proxy, but that's cause its the noodle arms envy.

But its cool as you've noticed.
Putting in a headwind? yeah, sure just switch to the envy and putt as normal.
It's annoying and awesome.
Until they get like 20+ then I switch to a 5 or 6 speed. hahaha

You fanbois are cute. :sick::sick:.............................:D

Easy indeed. A Black, 150g, Wham-O Frisbee. It was always in the car and was the Frisbee I dug out from the trunk, to throw at the wacky metal and chain contraptions, we saw hippies throwing discs at.

I had a maroon one that was a part of my everyday life as a kid. Accidentally tossed it in the Elkhart River, never to be seen again. I think a 165g one was the lid I brought for my first-ever round on baskets. Shot over 120, definitely remember that!

I imagine the answer was much easier in 1983...

Lets have some fun.

Wham-O, Inc. Professional (1, 4, 10, 14, 15, 16, 17, 20, 20 A, 21, 23A, 23B, 24A, 24B & Pro Classic molds)
Wham-O, Inc. Master
Wham-O, Inc. Fastback (all molds)
Wham-O, Inc. Super Pro (no #, 50, 60, 61, 61N, 61B, 62, 62N, 63A P, 63B P & 63 P molds)
Wham-O, Inc. 165g (80, 81, 81C, 81E, 82E & 900 molds & High Rigidity)
Wham-O, Inc. 119 G (40, 40G, 40G*, 41, 41 F, 41G, 42AF, 42AG, 42BF, 42BG & 40F molds)
Wham-O, Inc. 141 G (50, 50E, 50G, 51, 52AE, 52BE, 52AG, 52BG & Farusa 5 molds)
Disc Golf Association Midnight Flyer (100, 100A, 100AD, 100D, 100E, 100AD & 100E molds)
Disc Golf Association Midnight Flyer (40, 40A, 40G, 40G*, 41, 41F, 41G, 42AF, 42AG, 42BF & 42BG molds)
Disc Golf Association Midnight Flyer (50, 50E & 50G molds)
Wham-O, Inc. 97g (70, 70C, 71 & 71C* molds)
Wham-O, Inc. 97g (71 Mold)
Disc Golf Association Night Flyer (40 mold)
Wham-O, Inc. 133g Night Lighter
Destiny/Dynamic Disc Floater
Wham-O, Inc. Olympic/Collegiate (100, 100A, 100D, 100E & 100AD molds)
Discraft Sky Pro
Disc Golf Association Midnight Flyer (80, 80C & 80E molds)
Disc Golf Association Midnight Flyer (70C, 71C & 71C* molds)
Destiny/Dynamic Disc Puppy
Disc Golf Association Midnight Flyer (FB 6, FB 19 & FB 20 molds)
Destiny/Dynamic Disc Super Puppy
Discraft Sky-Styler
Discraft Ultra-Star
Discraft Sky-Star
Disc Golf Association Hooker
Disc Golf Association Kitty Hawk
Disc Golf Association Kitty Hawk Driver
Wham-O, Inc. 90 Mold
Disc Golf Association Kitty Hawk Putter
Disc Golf Association Kitty Hawk Softouch Sureshot
Disc Golf Association Sureshot
Disc Golf Association Fader
Disc Golf Association Fader 3
Disc Golf Association Putter
Disc Golf Association Fader II
Disc Golf Association Kitty Hawk Softouch
Discraft Phantom
Discraft Sky Streak
Innova Champion Discs Eagle (old)
Innova Champion Discs Aero

These are all the discs up to the end of 83.

The aviar didn't get approved till jan 1st of 84.

Lets have some fun.

I've got to imagine there wasn't a huge amount of difference between most of those lids when it came to actually playing golf with them...at the handful of courses that existed at the time. I wouldn't play for another 6 years, and Stingrays were out by then (my first one). I have yet to ever see, let alone hold or throw, a real vintage Midnight Flyer, but that's what the good players used according to all the stuff I've seen and read. They were heavier than standard Frisbees, correct?

(Now that I think about it, I was in PDGA #315's garage while buying that first Stingray for $6, where he had basically a museum on the wall, and the odds are pretty good there were some Midnight Flyers there but I wouldn't have known what they were as someone brand-new that day to the sport...)

It'd depend on the length of the course, but I'd be between a plasma ion and a neutron hex. I'd probably lean hex for the extra distance and easier forehand.

Lets have some fun.

Definitely an 86 Softie.

86'

Damnit.

Produced 88'- huh?

Approved 91' - wtf?

Last edited:
I've got to imagine there wasn't a huge amount of difference between most of those lids when it came to actually playing golf with them...at the handful of courses that existed at the time. I wouldn't play for another 6 years, and Stingrays were out by then (my first one). I have yet to ever see, let alone hold or throw, a real vintage Midnight Flyer, but that's what the good players used according to all the stuff I've seen and read. They were heavier than standard Frisbees, correct?

(Now that I think about it, I was in PDGA #315's garage while buying that first Stingray for $6, where he had basically a museum on the wall, and the odds are pretty good there were some Midnight Flyers there but I wouldn't have known what they were as someone brand-new that day to the sport...)

Never thrown one, but I know a few people who have them.

I suppose I should actually answer the OP's question for today and not 1983 after giving it some thought last night. It would have to be a putter, one that I can put some power into but also use with some touch and for actual putting. My go-to putting putter (a well-loved XT Aviar) wouldn't work because it doesn't really take a power throw well. My go-to driving putter (an Opto Mercy) would be ideal for throws but its premium plastic isn't ideal for actual putting. I have some base plastic Mercies that would probably do the trick.

I only outdrive my throwing putters with my speed 9 stuff by like 80-100 feet, so driving with the burst Mercy would still get me pars on most park courses so long as the holes aren't over 450'. Upshots would be fine. I'd wish I still had a Zone and a beat Deputy for those upshots that require either over or understability, but I'd survive.

To be quite honest, all the extra Discs I bag probably don't save me many strokes. I just really enjoy their company!

Elite X Buzzz, no doubt. I can actually hit some putts with that thing too. What I lose in distance over a driver I can definitely make up with the fact that it's a lot easier to bang in all those 15 footers with one versus a Leopard.

It goes a lot longer than my putters do and a lot easier to forehand as well.

Definitely an 86 Softie.

86'

Damnit.

Produced 88'- huh?

Approved 91' - wtf?

Our local guru, who played on lead card with Climo at worlds twice back in the day, still putts with an 86 Softie. I think the number refers to a mold number, not a year, although it was coincidentally close. The 44 mold Whippet-like one I had would definitely make less sense in regards to a year!

Our local guru, who played on lead card with Climo at worlds twice back in the day, still putts with an 86 Softie. I think the number refers to a mold number, not a year, although it was coincidentally close. The 44 mold Whippet-like one I had would definitely make less sense in regards to a year!

Ha, yeah, I was mostly going for silly. I know a handful of players that still use them and it's certainly impressive...odd feeling disc but if they made a new run I'd buy some!