• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] "I'm not a Comet, not yet a Buzzz"

Discs that are between a Buzzz and a Comet, starting with most similarities to a Buzzz and slowly shifting to a bit more understable and slower toward a Comet:

* Core
* Squall
* Axis
* M3
* Coyote
* Mako
* Skeeter
* Classic Cobra
* Aurora MS
* Hawk
* Element
* M4
* Buzzz SS
* Ace
* Panther
* Fuse
* Breeze
* Tangent

There is a lot of assumption going on here as well with plastic types and assuming mostly fresh discs.

I personally use a Mako3 for this slot. Very rounded rim feels very smooth in hand. Not overly deep and no bead to speak of. Stays fairly straight and is a bit more forgiving than a standard Mako. I use a slightly beaten Star Mako for the truly understable shots.

Last edited:
Fugitive has a decent size bead. Very similar to the roc and comet rim wise. Fugitive reminds me of a slightly more stable comet which its starting to grow on me. The only thing I dont like about it is its slightly domey and the bead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z7sh-AwwhY

Other than feeling similar to a comet/roc which the OP may not like Fugitive is a good fit. Classic Fugitives are board flat. Mine turn a little into a slight headwind but still manage to come back at the end. Should beat in to a nice turnover mid soon enough.

OK, so I'm not an MVP fanatic, in fact I only currently carry one of their discs, but the tangent just rocks, and sounds like what you are looking for. Easy to hold. Slightly less stable than a buzz, more shapable. I also find the comet uncomfortable, but find the tangent flies like a comet but feels like a buzz in the hand.

No, it's not Mike. TBird said so. :|

:D

Funny that all those shots that went straight (and even some that turned over) were released with hyzer, and that course isn't too terribly long. Looks like a cross between a Comet and a Meteor more than a Buzzz to me. But what do I know?

^You did question an MVP disc, bird. You are automatically wrong when you do that. Always :|

Funny that all those shots that went straight (and even some that turned over) were released with hyzer, and that course isn't too terribly long. Looks like a cross between a Comet and a Meteor more than a Buzzz to me. But what do I know?

360-390' pretty much dead straight with a touch of hyzer. I think that is exactly the type of disc being described in the OP based on my results with it.

i agree with the tangent, honestly. it is slower, more of a finesse disc, will beat to true understable. i have no problem getting my two tangents to hold any line whatsoever, which is why i use two as my main mids right now. i have no problem throwing these 300 feet on a straight line. likes height though.

perhaps there is a consistency issue; my two proton tangents are nice and stable. very straight shooters until i try to throw them far. likes height. my neutron has more turn out of the box, more than my proton of the same weight.

i will also say from memory that the ibex is a good choice especially in medium to stick more than a firm, but i threw them at a time when i was going through discs too fast to know them intimately. it will "drive" more than a tangent will, if i remember correctly.

i haven't thrown very many midranges. the comet, buzzz, wasp, ghost, fuse, pain, tensor, vector, axis, tangent, core, mace, ibex and m4 are the extent of my experience.

i think the tangent and ibex are the two that would fit your aims the best out of any that i've tried IMO, but i did not break in my ibex so i do not know how long it takes or how it acts. neither have i done so with my tangent. i can, however, recommend them both. especially if you're talking about hit and stick placement shots, the tangent floats down like a UFO with its slow speed and the vibram discs with their rubber grab ground like it's velcro.