• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] "I'm not a Comet, not yet a Buzzz"

Not gonna lie, just keep throwing the Comet and make yourself get comfortable with it. The long term payoff on your game will be fantastic. The Comet is a legendary mold, learn its power.

How about a Tournament plastic Warship? Starts out neutral and works into Fuse-like (under)stability...

Beadless and comfy rim that is easy to power and fan grip. Faster than both Comet and Buzz but still powers down nicely. Can go fairway long, too! :thmbup:

... especially if you're talking about hit and stick placement shots, the tangent floats down like a UFO with its slow speed and the vibram discs with their rubber grab ground like it's velcro.

Unless they land at an angle, then they bounce like a rubber ball. Which can be handy under the right circumstances.

Meteor, Tangent, both have great smooth rims without the large wing feel. I don't personally know about the Ibex.. The meteor is commonly available in Z plastic now if that helps. I saw a few people suggest Warship, the Tursas would be better for that roll, the ratings on the disc don't do it justice it's not nearly as understable as it sounds especially in the harder plastic, but the wing is more Cometesque even though more rounded and smoother.

Might want to look into the Meteor (ESP) as well. Very workable, on many lines and does not feel awkward in the hand.

I might not be understanding Discrafts rating system.

But a Comet is a 0, a Buzzz is a .5, and a Meteor is a -.5. How is a Meteor in between a Comet and a Buzzz?

Buzzz SS is what you are looking for - but actually I think you are really looking for a nicely beaten Buzzz. Z preferably but an X will do.

I might not be understanding Discrafts rating system.

But a Comet is a 0, a Buzzz is a .5, and a Meteor is a -.5. How is a Meteor in between a Comet and a Buzzz?

Buzzz SS is what you are looking for - but actually I think you are really looking for a nicely beaten Buzzz. Z preferably but an X will do.
I'm not sure if I totally agree with how DC rates their stuff.

Comet is one of the most understable discs I've ever thrown. I'm not sure how it gets a 0 on their scale. Maybe it was just the ESP that I had or something… but I damn near had to throw the thing perpendicular to the ground to get any hyzer in the flight.

Squall should be added to the list. The stability of a Comet, with the feel and throwability of a Buzzz.

I'm not sure if I totally agree with how DC rates their stuff.

Comet is one of the most understable discs I've ever thrown. I'm not sure how it gets a 0 on their scale. Maybe it was just the ESP that I had or something… but I damn near had to throw the thing perpendicular to the ground to get any hyzer in the flight.

Don't think you were doing it right.

Don't think you were doing it right.
Probably not. That disc ended up hyzering out on me, on one of the most difficult approaches on my home course... right into a swiftly moving river.

:eek:

A very nice glidey do anything disc is a heavy Opto Fuse. I carry a 178 that's been in my bag for 3 years. It really excels in tight woods situations. They're awesome fo hyzer flips, long annys, dead straight tunnels, and they're sneaky long.

There's such a wide range of stability's depending on which Comet we are talking about, my 176 Z is comparable to a 170 Z Buzzz, my 174 beat Z is more like a ESP Meteor, a 172 fresh ESP Comet is like a 176 Z Meteor, an X or used ESP Comet is an understable flip machine..