• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Innova DX Roc

The term DX was not used back then. But we all knew each batch/run was different.

Threeputt and I talked about different plastics in an XD thread. We both have bullet stamp era XDs that have the feel of modern day Pro plastic yet I got mine in 1990.
The "pro?" XDs
picture.php
The white first run Cheetahs in '95 were the same way, they are a lot closer to Pro than DX. That was right about the time that Millennium was introduced, and I've always wondered if there was some sort of screw-up there.

I keep forgetting we should be talking about Rocs...

My Roc shame is Sanny Rocs; I'm such a bad athlete and was so naturally horrible at disc golf that when the Sanny's were out I couldn't throw them. I was throwing Lightning Spitfires. :\ Rocs made my bag after the switch to Ontarios. I had some Sanny's, but I gave them to a friend who was stocking up on them when they stopped making them. I have one 150 class Sanny Roc with the Discovering the World flamingo stamp, that's it.

I still have five or six Lightning Spitfires, though. :|

The white first run Cheetahs in '95 were the same way, they are a lot closer to Pro than DX. That was right about the time that Millennium was introduced, and I've always wondered if there was some sort of screw-up there.

Got a bin full of those Cheetahs, they were more SE to me then pro. Looking at they old KC discs, there was really two kinds of KC Pro plastic. The Avairs and Rocs were closer to a baseline or dx, while all the drivers seemed closer to SE plastic.

I know somebody knows the order of Innova Champions plastics, I am too lazy (and drinking) to look it up.

DX
KC
SE
CE
Champion
Star
etc.
etc.

I took 3 Rocs (New KC, used KC, and slightly used bottom stamp DX) out to the course (Indian Hills) to get an idea of where they are in a Roc cycle. I found that the used KC is probably #3 Roc possibly a 3.5. When thrown well at my lower power (220-240') it's straight with slight left but forward finish. The new KC is likely a 1.5/2, straight with a harder/dumpier finish compared to the used. The DX was a bit of mystery, it's used but not much, it seemed to have a close flight pattern to the New KC but it was always farther by 15-25'. Maybe it's me not being able to replicate a close approximation to the same throw but the DX seemed to be a bit faster. I still have a 2 other Rocs to take out and see where they will fit in.

This is an unofficial opinion but I always say that DX discs are closest to their mold's flight numbers. This is just from my experience. They might not stay there long but new DX the numbers seem more accurate.

I took 3 Rocs (New KC, used KC, and slightly used bottom stamp DX) out to the course (Indian Hills) to get an idea of where they are in a Roc cycle. I found that the used KC is probably #3 Roc possibly a 3.5. When thrown well at my lower power (220-240') it's straight with slight left but forward finish. The new KC is likely a 1.5/2, straight with a harder/dumpier finish compared to the used. The DX was a bit of mystery, it's used but not much, it seemed to have a close flight pattern to the New KC but it was always farther by 15-25'. Maybe it's me not being able to replicate a close approximation to the same throw but the DX seemed to be a bit faster. I still have a 2 other Rocs to take out and see where they will fit in.

Was it this bottom stamp? I picked up a couple of these for a tourney pay out, and have promptly added 5 more since. These bottom stamps feel better, season better, and fly farther than any other dx roc I've thrown.

e932f0866e81a0437657ea4a1d3dde19.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a bin full of those Cheetahs, they were more SE to me then pro. Looking at they old KC discs, there was really two kinds of KC Pro plastic. The Avairs and Rocs were closer to a baseline or dx, while all the drivers seemed closer to SE plastic.

I know somebody knows the order of Innova Champions plastics, I am too lazy (and drinking) to look it up.

DX
KC
SE
CE
Champion
Star
etc.
etc.
Did you have any of the SE Rocs? I had one but I have no recollection of what it flew like.

I have several flat top dx rocs and one dx roc3. The flat tops fly the same. Straight flyers out right of the box. This dx roc3 flies kinda the same and I started to look their profiles more carefully. It truly seems like these discs are the same mold! But both are embossed and the purple says roc3 while the green/blue says roc. It means that these left the factory as different molds.

So they fly the same and look the same but are stamped to be different molds. Weird.

Attachments

• 20200809_151506.jpg
    20200809_151506.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 33
Did you have any of the SE Rocs? I had one but I have no recollection of what it flew like.

Got a few, from the original run. The white ones I had I dyed, so I could throw them back when I played in the snow. They would be used in place of Sannys or beat up 8x if I remember correctly.

Got a few, from the original run. The white ones I had I dyed, so I could throw them back when I played in the snow. They would be used in place of Sannys or beat up 8x if I remember correctly.
The one I had was yellow and had the Choice of Champions stamp; no idea what run that was from.

Most of the SE discs were one and done so there was only one run, but I believe there was more than one run of SE Rocs for some reason.

The one I had was yellow and had the Choice of Champions stamp; no idea what run that was from.

Most of the SE discs were one and done so there was only one run, but I believe there was more than one run of SE Rocs for some reason.

I think all of mine have that Choice of Champions stamp as well, If memory serves me (it does that correctly occasionally) I believe they had SE Rocs for the Worlds in PA and IA.

I think all of mine have that Choice of Champions stamp as well, If memory serves me (it does that correctly occasionally) I believe they had SE Rocs for the Worlds in PA and IA.
They made Super Rocs for Worlds for several years, but again you get into that SE vs Pro plastic question. Super Rocs were never all that popular anyway.

If I remember right, my thrower Super Roc is noticeably smaller diameter than other Ranchos. It's a nice Roc though.

I have several flat top dx rocs and one dx roc3. The flat tops fly the same. Straight flyers out right of the box. This dx roc3 flies kinda the same and I started to look their profiles more carefully. It truly seems like these discs are the same mold! But both are embossed and the purple says roc3 while the green/blue says roc. It means that these left the factory as different molds.

So they fly the same and look the same but are stamped to be different molds. Weird.

Yes, profiles do look very similar and both share the round nose. Check the tooling underneath, Rocs should have the standard Rancho w/ patent numbers about an inch or so away from the rim. Roc3's have different tooling (no patent numbers) and is closer to the rim.

Yes, profiles do look very similar and both share the round nose. Check the tooling underneath, Rocs should have the standard Rancho w/ patent numbers about an inch or so away from the rim. Roc3's have different tooling (no patent numbers) and is closer to the rim.

Flat top roc has the patent numbers etc. So the bottom says they are different molds. No question about it.

But what suprises me is the similarity of these two molds. I thought the difference would be more obvious. At least the champion roc3s fly so differently than any of my rocs. This dx roc3 was my first roc3 with that plastic and it flew like a flat top roc.

This stupid thread made me throw a Dx Roc all weekend, and it was awesome. Thanks. :wall::wall::wall:
I threw Rocs all weekend as well; the only times anyone was impressed with my drive was the two times I got over myself and threw a Firebird. :\ It was good, though. I was consistent. I just wasn't very long off the tee.

I threw Rocs all weekend as well; the only times anyone was impressed with my drive was the two times I got over myself and threw a Firebird. :\ It was good, though. I was consistent. I just wasn't very long off the tee.

Dx Firechicken? I still need to break one of those out and break one in.

And Roc guys...why is this thread getting more heat over the Mythical Innova Roc thread? :doh: