• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova G Star?

Picked up a GStar Destroyer the other day. I like my Destroyers in the high 160s, and this one's 168. It's got a pop top dome, so I knew it would be relatively overstable, which it is.

I'm loving this disc. It feels great in the hand: not too flexy, but enough so that I feel that I can really get a good grip on it. And what's more, even though it's more overstable than my seasoned, flat Destroyer that started out with some turn to it, this disc goes just as far.

I was throwing it hard into headwinds and it would turn and always come back. With a tailwind, I mashed on it a bit and got a little bit of turn and a healthy fade. I'm not the farthest throwing player, but I was getting this Destroyer out to my normal max d golf range of 375-400 very consistently. The thing that really impressed me is that Destroyers usually need a little seasoning to get there for me, but this one worked right out of the box. Very cool.

Just picked up a GStar Destroyer 172 last weekend and am really liking it. Same results as you, flies like a nice beat star, great glide and I freakin LOVE the plastic. I now am bagging 2 GStar Terns and a GStar Mamba. Also got a sweet XG Glow Boss for crazy headwind shots and I am really liking that plastic as well

I know, I just thought originally it was a mistake (because that's what Innova told us). Now it's clear that they make "real" Destroyers for their team, and "a different, deliberately less stable disc" so that unknowing consumers believe they are throwing the same disc as "the pros".:doh:

This may be mentioned somewhere in the thread, but has anyone noticed that the Gstar Destroyers don't have the real Destroyer top?

The gstar destroyer I have is the exact same as my pfn pre Avery star. I have been to GGGT and every gstar destroyer they have is correct. About 15 of the guys I throw with have gstar destroyers, all original destroyer tops. So your info is wrong as usual when hating on innova.

The gstar destroyer I have is the exact same as my pfn pre Avery star. I have been to GGGT and every gstar destroyer they have is correct. About 15 of the guys I throw with have gstar destroyers, all original destroyer tops. So your info is wrong as usual when hating on innova.

I don't believe the Gstar are the original mold. Post a picture and show me I'm wrong. BTW, who do you think first brought it to the forum's attention that the Destroyers being sent to dealers in '09-'10 had the wrong tops? Most people didn't believe me at first then either...And when have I ever made more than a speculative post about Innova and been wrong?

I looked at them with the dude who was selling them in the parking lot at a DG course. He seemed fairly knowledgeable and used real Destoyers, which we compared them to. I don't think it's the same top as the other "alternative" Destroyers, but it sure looked different from the originals as well. Hopefully someone can post some pics because now I'm really curious.

I've been playing disc golf for about three years and just started throwing Destroyers so I haven't been around long enough to get attached to pre-Avery pre-flight numbers S/DS Destroyers or some variant thereof.

What I do know is this: the GStar Destroyer I'm throwing is legit. Long forward penetrating flight, late but reliable fade, and solid distance. So I don't care what run it is or how closely it matches some Destroyer from years ago. All I know is that it's a good disc that made the bag from the beginning.

I've been playing disc golf for about three years and just started throwing Destroyers so I haven't been around long enough to get attached to pre-Avery pre-flight numbers S/DS Destroyers or some variant thereof.

What I do know is this: the GStar Destroyer I'm throwing is legit. Long forward penetrating flight, late but reliable fade, and solid distance. So I don't care what run it is or how closely it matches some Destroyer from years ago. All I know is that it's a good disc that made the bag from the beginning.

100% agree. Only took me 2 or 3 forehand drives with it to realize it's a keeper. Just got my 2nd one in the mail yesterday.

Threw my new Valkyrie tonight for the first time. Pretty similar to my good DX but a little less turn. No wind or tailwind and room to work, it definitely bombs on a hyzerflip. (170g, golden.)
Should be a good longer turnover option for sure.
Can't wait to get it out on BRP 17. :)

I went to CA Monday-Wednesday for my vacation & played Huntington Beach, Eldorado, & La Mirada. I used my new G Star Tern, Leopard, & Roadrunner. Really loving the G Star tern! It's a 155gm, & it was unusually windy in So Cal (15-20 mph winds), but throwing the G* Tern into a headwind it would flip up & go right, but always come back giving me max D! Even in a tailwind i would put some anhyzer on it & it would flex nicely giving max D! Into a headwind the G* Leopard would flip up & more or less go strait, depending on how much wind. I nearly aced hole 4 at Eldo with the G* Leopard! The G* Roadrunner i would throw into a tailwind level or with a little hyzer & it would flip flat & gain some height giving good carry! I could never grip Champion or Star plastic like this so i'm definitely getting extra power & control with G* plastic!

Anyone still throwing gstar wraiths?

I tested my first one last night. The only other Wraith I've thrown is a crazy overstable star that spent some weeks in a pond.

But the G*... I don't have a place for it. It had a little turn for me, and seemed kind of lazy almost fighting out of that and going into the fade. Basically, it was really close to my slightly worn in 167 P-PD, and went the same distance - between 375 - 400'. My Valkyries go a little further.
It also wasn't overstable enough to take over my FH drives because my form sucks and I need to mask it. :)

I really wanted to like it. It's a nice disc, but I don't have a spot for it. It was tourney "winnings" so I don't feel like I wasted anything on it. I need to get an MP post up and going...

I can see that. I feel like the wraith has that problem for a lot of people these days.

I looked at them with the dude who was selling them in the parking lot at a DG course. He seemed fairly knowledgeable and used real Destoyers, which we compared them to. I don't think it's the same top as the other "alternative" Destroyers, but it sure looked different from the originals as well. Hopefully someone can post some pics because now I'm really curious.

Definitely seem to have more of a vulcan top to them, but I have 4 destroyers in the bag and I can honestly say that all 4 look like they have deferent tops to them. They range from old to new as well, got a lot of years covered.

Got a beast today. Ridiculous amount of glitter in it and looks completely different than all the other GStar I got. Feels exactly like the old Pro Beast I have.

Latest posts