• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova G Star?

The Teebird and Firebird I've thrown were much less stable than the champ versions I bag. It may have been an anomaly in that disc, but it put a bad taste in my mouth about G*.

So far the rule of thumb for most GStar is that the more inherently stable the disc is meant to be, the less stable it will be in GStar. They are still stable to overstable, but not as much. Conversely, the more inherently understable the disc is supposed to be, the more stable it is in GStar. So, if there seems to be a rule from most of the GStar is that this new plastic seems to bring them closer to true stable.

The molds I've thrown, when I think about it, seem to be really close to the actual flight ratings. Wraith, Valkyrie, Teebird, Rhyno, and Roc3. The only exception seemed to be the Tern, which was probably closer to -1.5 HST, but that wasn't my disc and I only got three throws with it, and that generally lines up with Smarkquart's post above. I have not thrown multiples of each mold yet, however, so maybe I'm just lucky.

my gstarrr sw is getting scrapes and dents on it. not impressed with the durability, i dont think ill buy another one

you work for Innova, it aint hot yet?

All the g* plastic I've heard of or thrown has been less stable so I'm okay to go with it as a general rule... I've not read this entire thread where I might have missed a report from a member(s) I trust:\

90 degree weather in some places and Gstar was fine

vs

I think Gstar will be too floppy

go with whatever you want pal

No doubt it should be less stable then any Champs. The comparison is usually made with Star and it's very close to Star.

That sucks that their seems to be a drop in the plastic durability. I'm for sure anxious to see what new Star blend they are going to be doing. I'm not a big fan of the flexible plastics. I prefer stiff and grippy.

The Teebird and Firebird I've thrown were much less stable than the champ versions I bag. It may have been an anomaly in that disc, but it put a bad taste in my mouth about G*.

This place boggles my mind. Birdie is hitting the nail on the head with the normal star plastic comparison. These shouldn't be compared to champs at all.

The Gstar teebird is pretty much like a normal star for me. Never have thrown a star FB though.

I really wanted to like the G* Teebirds I got. They felt great, and the flight was good. After only a few rounds I had several tears and rips in the plastic from hitting stuff. I have a semi -rough terrain on my home course with a mix of trees and rocks. Comparatively, I throw Pro Rhyno's and KC Pro Rocs on the same course and get even wear without the big rips in the plastic. Maybe it was just a coincidence and I hit several sharp objects. The Champion and Star I throw get an occasional small nick in the plastic, nothing unusual. Anyone else get tears in the G*?

This is the big downside I see with Gstar but the durability is pretty inconsistent if that makes sense.

I've thrown a lot of Gstar and some looks like new and some is starting to show the damage. I don't know if I would call it a tear but definitely some small cuts and rough patches.

I have one teebird that's run into many trees without much damage but I also have a roc 3 that looks terrible after two throws into rocks.

I'm going with Gstar this year and will make a decision after a full season of use. If I can get a full year of heavy use out of a Gstar, I'll probably keep some in the bag.

if it doesn't make it a year...it might be out.

Last edited:
90 degree weather in some places and Gstar was fine

vs

I think Gstar will be too floppy

go with whatever you want pal

ignore this reply. I'm not sure what I thought you said.

But you're wrong about it being less stable for every mold.

The Gstar teebird is pretty much like a normal star for me.

This makes me think you haven't tried a lot of star teebirds as I wouldn't trust a gstar teebird into any headwind over 300'. I'd say they pretty much fly lines closer to DX than Star.

edit: four posts in a row ranger... back to my you must work for Innova thought

This makes me think you haven't tried a lot of star teebirds as I wouldn't trust a gstar teebird into any headwind over 300'. I'd say they pretty much fly lines closer to DX than Star.

id only expect that type of behavior from someone who works for a company that there defending. or mvp fanboys

I've been saying since my first throw that G* TBs fly like DX with a slightly stronger fade. Glad to see that someone else has some damn sense.

You caught me. I actually invented Gstar.

Maybe you missed the post when I questioned the durability of Gstar or maybe you're just a DGC troll. We might never know...

My basic point was that we probably should trust first hand reports, rather than speculation about Gstar.

I've also been throwing star teebirds as my main driver longer than you've been playing. Gstar is closer to star than dx IMO. Maybe this is different for different people though.

I throw older star teebirds in the 170s and first run Gstar at max weight.

Okay, how about this? I have been throwing TeeBirds for about five years, so I am not going to be as bold as trying to compare any newer mold to older CE, KC Pro, SE, or CAL moldings. With that being said, of all the six GStar TeeBirds I have now they fly incredibly close to my prized-above-all-other-discs seasoned Star TeeBird. These GStars have been the closest I could find that have that same sweet resistant to turn, but still can turned when need be, while having minimal to non-existent fade. They have not been a perfect replacement for my seasoned Star, but they have been closer to anything else.

I disagree with the DX statement, but only so far to agree that it depends on how they are being thrown. Maybe it is the tactile feeling of DX versus Champion and Star, but unless it is absolutely the perfect throw, the grip of DX can sometimes in my case cause micro-griplocks which gives the illusion that I can easily flip and turn DX drivers.

However, despite how much I like these GStar TeeBirds, during a competitive round they HAVE to be paired with a 12x Champion for sudden elevation drops and or hefty headwinds.

I agree with smarkquart. I don't throw star teebirds though. the flight matches a good fresh dx. Lots of dx I get have turn out of the box, but a few good ones have 0. Definitely need a champ to go with it.

I think gstar is just inconsistent right now in terms of durability, hopefully they will get it down to a science. I don't like gambling on a disc that isn't at least somewhat durable. I'll post pics of my TB I have nicknamed him "droopy".

what showed a misunderstanding on my part?

troll

id only expect that type of behavior from someone who works for a company that there defending. or mvp fanboys

*they're

You completely disregarded or didnt understand my criticism of Gstar durability. You just jumped on the same lame joke from the other guy. I work for innova, yet still bring up the problem with Gstar?

try again buddy

Last edited:
I agree with smarkquart. I don't throw star teebirds though. the flight matches a good fresh dx. Lots of dx I get have turn out of the box, but a few good ones have 0. Definitely need a champ to go with it.

I think gstar is just inconsistent right now in terms of durability, hopefully they will get it down to a science. I don't like gambling on a disc that isn't at least somewhat durable. I'll post pics of my TB I have nicknamed him "droopy".

I feel like its something that won't be changing. It's like certain environments or impacts are particularly brutal for Gstar. I'm not throwing these near rocks or roads anymore.

I've had no durability problems thus far with my Gstar TB, I've been throwing it for over a month paired with a DX. If I need something more OS the next step is a Star FB. My GS is 175g and my DX is 171g.

The closest thing to a GStar TB I've seen is a Star TB with the Star being a touch more OS. I definitely get more high speed turn out of the DX, but at the same time I can squeeze another 20 feet out of it. Better glide on DX, a little better control on the GStar. DX is for understable to dead straight and the GStar for straight-ish to OS shots.

At any rate DX is not the plastic that comes to mind for me when throwing these. Feels like more of a well seasoned Champ or Star. I am a fan of both TB's.