• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Katana

katana.jpg

Frank Delicious said:
cleaned that up for you discspeed, hope you don't mind.

Sweet, coming to the party late, I didn't see the total mess he'd apparently left behind :)

This will follow standard new driver talk,

Insert DGR biblical quote about people needing to throw slower discs and learning to shape lines.

Insert whiny quote about marketing. Check - SkaBob

Insert more whining about galactic speed drivers and why you are better because you throw gazelles or can throw a putter really far.

Five to ten people state they refuse to buy it before it is even produced. Check - Black Udder, Parks, More to come I'm sure

JesseB says something awesome. Check

Insert funny picture.

End with cheetah and aviar joke.

Thread over.
I think people need to learn to shape lines before they buy this disc.
I can throw a putter further then you can throw a Katana!
I think the Cheetah and Aviar the only 2 molds any pro would need... really...
gopher.jpg

ok, close the thread please, kthx.

black udder said:
Frank Delicious said:
cleaned that up for you discspeed, hope you don't mind.

Sweet, coming to the party late, I didn't see the total mess he'd apparently left behind :)

Looks very nice! I guess its the thought that counts.... :wink: But anyway, the height is significantly taller than the Boss, so I'm guessing this is going to be one domey SOB. Or perhaps they sent a FR flat Champ Boss and a domey Pro Katana. They should give the mold specs rather than whatever random plastic the manufacturer sends them.

This disc was obviously created to fill a HUGE gap in Innova's Distance driver lineup....

Alphabetically, between the Groove and Max. :lol:

discspeed said:
...I gave up the arms race for speedy distance early this year and went back to the Orc for my controllable distance needs...
This is the smart thing to do.

discspeed said:
I think if someone is going to make a usable super speed driver, it will probably be Dave D. I also take his comments at this point with a grain of salt because he wants to sell them. If a super fast disc isn't speed sensitive, its going to be super overstable. We don't need another one of those.
Several big arms told me the Boss and Groove are both flippy at high speed. Perhaps my own perception was skewed because the disc starts off so over-stable at low speeds. As far as I can tell, these discs are all speed sensitive, though for the Boss/Groove in respectable plastic you might need a cannon of an arm to get it up to the speed where it starts being squirrely and flipping too fast. The Katana probably starts off less stable at low speeds, and has even more speed sensitivity to get it up to zero turn at a lower speed than the Boss or Groove.

I'm surprised, really, about that Dave D post. He didn't really know how the disc would behave until he had one in his hand. While I know you might never know exactly how it flies until you do huck it, I thought Innova would have more expertise to predict flight from shape. He makes it appear as if they're throwing darts at a design chart (composed of upper/lower dies) while blind-folded.

jo-ch-katana-trans3.png

Release 10/21/09 @ 12PM PDT
KATANA- [kah-tah-nah]
Origin Japan 1392~ A curved single-edged sword traditionally used by Japanese Samurai. The samurai would give names to their swords as they believed their warrior spirit lived within the Katana.
Origin Rancho Cucamonga, USA 2009~ An INNOVA DISC GOLF TECHNICAL DISTANCE DRIVER with flight chart numbers: 13 +, 5, -3, 3.

The Katana is built with the finesse thrower in mind. Recommended downwind driver. Hit the angle right and watch it bolt out of sight. The physical characteristics resemble a Boss with the flight characteristics of a Sidewinder on steroids. Master the technique of Kantana and rule the course.

Rim bigger than the boss. Useless for me then. Stamp is sweet.....actually all of those japan open ones are great.

Are we thinking squirelly - like unpredictable in varying conditions? Kind of like the Groove?

Or are we thinking understable like a faster Monarch - like if it gets to cruising speed, that it will turn consistently and predictably right but fade/land flat?

If you are someone who can get a Boss up to or near cruise speed, is this disc going to have a flight that is repeatable and predictable in most conditions? If it is like a longer range Monarch, I could definitely use this disc, if it is touchier than a sidewinder and requires finesse and a lower cruise speed to fly right, then it would definitely not be for me.

After an initial hatred of wide wing drivers, a change in grip has got me throwing them almost exclusively for everything over 350 feet.

I do not know if 25 dollars is worth a try, but I still love to get my hands on one.

Latest posts