• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Katana

Sean40474 said:
StumperTX said:
Frank Delicious said:
How are you going to prove the new startanas don't suck?
I guess "proving" that would be difficult, and seeing as though I'm pretty sure you do know what you're talking about, my hopes are a it lower for the startana than they were. However, I know the Nuke doesn't suck, and I know the Boss doesn't suck, so if the startana can be equal to the others or longer... it probably doesn't suck

I've heard from some people that the Star Katana is sweet once broken in. Using them for overhand and driving them into trees and the ground sped up the process. I really haven't heard much about the glide (pro vs star), but usually pro plastic has a little more glide than star.

I'm throwing a pretty much new Star Katana, and freaking love it so far. It's a more versatile disc for me than the Boss, which I'd consider it's big brother. The best part for me is its ability to go over trees out to 300-350ft. granted these are Dallas trees, so they aren't massive, but I amazed several people on the course throw over obstacles that otherwise make par 4s out of par 3s. so anyway, I disagree with the Star Katana sucks mantra... I'll pick up a pro to compare it with though.

I just got two new 170 star ones (stock stamp) that are freekin pigs. Probably one of the most overstable things I've ever thrown. Even the real big arms couldn't make them turn. The last one I had was at least somewhat flippy.

TeamTollandDG said:
I just got two new 170 star ones (stock stamp) that are freekin pigs. Probably one of the most overstable things I've ever thrown. Even the real big arms couldn't make them turn. The last one I had was at least somewhat flippy.
:shock: any chance they're mis-stamped Bosses?

StumperTX said:
TeamTollandDG said:

The ones I threw were at least as stable as an average Boss. I still can't understand how Innova screwed up so bad with the first production run.

StumperTX said:
TeamTollandDG said:

I doubt it. This is just part of the inconsistency of wide rimmed drivers.

I've got a 170 Star Destroyer that is an unflippable lawn dart. If I throw it like a roller it pans out near the ground and flares way back up. I don't think I've ever thrown it and had it hit the ground first with its bottom instead of the outer edge of its wing.

Aside from a slightly higher parting line and poppy top dome, it looks like every other Destroyer out there.

I just bought one and should be here soon, I'll see how they fly for me. All I've heard about the Star Katanas is that they're meat hooks. I guess I'll just have to throw overhands and drive it into trees.

Why is it so hard to make discs understable these days? If I buy a leopard or a katana, I want it to fly how it says it is going to and not have to throw it into shit for awhile to make it fly how it is supposed to.

This is why I'm never going to put anything into my bag wider than a Wraith.

I take it the lemon stamped pro worlds katanas are more understable than the production run?

*edit, woops, just read the last few pages, stupid question. I don't throw these yet still have one (lemon stamp), anyone want it?

i bought a couple production star katanas and love them. i got a 170 and a 174 and they both fly very similar. a perfect hyzer flip when thrown low and a perfect huge hyzer when thrown a little higher. i think its highly workable on many lines and immediately got a spot in my bag. it is much more stable then then pro katanas which are power down discs for me. different strokes for different folks but i think the star katanas are one of the best new discs made in the last few years (i jumped off the boss bandwagon a while ago).

are they really that stable guys? say if i were to lay a 430+ FH on them are they gonna turn and burn? if they are actually overstable then these are pretty relevant to my interests....and they have like 50 at my local PIAS

Jesse B 707 said:
are they really that stable guys? say if i were to lay a 430+ FH on them are they gonna turn and burn? if they are actually overstable then these are pretty relevant to my interests....and they have like 50 at my local PIAS

My friend who can flick 380 or so has one in the bag that he has been throwing on big S lines he usually uses star Xcals for.

Frank Delicious said:
Jesse B 707 said:

My friend who can flick 380 or so has one in the bag that he has been throwing on big S lines he usually uses star Xcals for.
hmmmmm...... i may go pick up a max weight tomorrow and see how she does, they sure as shit look fast

discspeed said:
StumperTX said:
TeamTollandDG said:

The ones I threw were at least as stable as an average Boss. I still can't understand how Innova screwed up so bad with the first production run.

I have several white x-outs and they're just like most other katanas--when new, they have a mild HS turn (kinda like an S PD). These are no pigs. In fact, I broke my personal distance record of 500' with one of these discs into a very slight (5mph) headwind.

I can get these FH out to about 400' on a pretty wide S turn. Like most katanas, they're fairly touchy, but once you learn them, watch out! Katanas for all out FH D and E* bosses for more controlled D. Good combo for FH.

anyone take a close look at the nose of the Katana and a PD?
is it not the same...the mysterious "anhyzer" top?
the first say 5-7mm anyway
after the that the PD seems to have a flatter sloped shoulder to the dome whereas the katana seems more curved

also I have 3 pro Katanas a yellow 172, pink 170 and a white x out 170
the x out is actually pretty much a meathook (relatively speaking) while the pink is a virtual roller (the pink does have some more throws on it)
the yellow seems to be right in the middle
all are pretty much close to new

I would say there is not a lot of consistency in the Katana production
not sure which I prefer for just pure distance the Katana or the Nuke

the Nuke would seem to be more predictable but I only have the one so no real point of reference

Can't say I agree, especially the beginning of the wing rises much more in the PD before leveling out, while the Katana has a smoother, gradual curve. I'd say it's more similar after the 5-7mm than before it.

jubuttib said:
Can't say I agree, especially the beginning of the wing rises much more in the PD before leveling out, while the Katana has a smoother, gradual curve. I'd say it's more similar after the 5-7mm than before it.

I agree, they are not the same. This was discussed at one point in the PD thread.

Cali said:
Yea I can throw into the low 400 range but don't think I'd rely on them much over that. This guy Jeremiah I throw with sometimes throws 500+ and just flips them into the dirt at full rip.

(This is from a few pages back...sorry to be late to the party...)

I can throw up to 500' (maybe a little more) and they don't just "go into the dirt." Some of the flippier ones I have to put some altitude on (E*, pro), but once I do, they cruise. The flat stars are much less understable.

Personally, my go to distance driver is my E*boss. However, for downwind D drives, the E* katana is it.

Just wanted to toss in my little contribution to the discussion.

I finally picked up a 171 startana at the local PIAS, and this thing is WAY flat. It's also way more overstable than my domey protana. IMO this thing flies very similar to my champ Bosses.

Latest posts