• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Tern

i bought a red star 167g tern yesterday and threw it on a few holes at league play last night. it was more hss than i expected and has a good bit of lss but boy does it fly. i'm excited to see what this disc does after it beats in a bit.

Yeah...I have one of those exact discs (mine is 166), and yeah I was surprised by the HSS. I bought it to replace my Mamba and it is more or less just a downwind version of my 172 Champ Tern.

I picked up a used 164 Champ Tern that's been thrown once. Anyone else see a plus rim on these?

Oh and it has a sweet Treebeard stamp.
7ypumene.jpg

The Tern is hands down the best Innova driver released since the Destroyer/Boss. It has some super glide, good speed, and enough stability to use it in most conditions. It pretty much flies like a broken in domey E* Destroyer.

7ontheline said:
Can anyone compare the Champ Tern vs. Lucid/Bio Trespass and or VIP Sword?

I have a VIP Sword in the bag with my Tern. The Tern is longer and more understable. There is more movement in the Tern's flight and a bit more late LSS as well.

Fightingthetide said:
Are production runs coming out in plus molds?

Nope. All of my production Stars and Champs have darn near 90 degree sidewalls.

discspeed said:
7ontheline said:
Can anyone compare the Champ Tern vs. Lucid/Bio Trespass and or VIP Sword?

I have a VIP Sword in the bag with my Tern. The Tern is longer and more understable. There is more movement in the Tern's flight and a bit more late LSS as well.

That surprised me. I have not thrown Terns but i thought it was a close relative to the flippier Pro Katanas. And those are on par roughly with the later than first run Swords. Sounds like there is too much fade to get ultimate distance then but even the least fading fast disc that is not a total flipper the D3 has too much LSS to finish straight with my power which is seriously lacking in spin to keep the Sword from losing D from the fade. Heck even the Pro Katanas fade on me. And the flip monsters like Vulcans. Sounds like i'll save my money by not buying a Tern then.

The early Terns (fundraisers) were really understable. The Stars have a later fade if you only tried Champs.

discspeed said:
The early Terns (fundraisers) were really understable. The Stars have a later fade if you only tried Champs.

What distances are you getting out of your Stars vs. Champs?

I'm really intrigued by this disc. Every speed 12+ disc I've tried out for max D has either been too hard to dial in or faded too soon to be of use.

I see Innova is listing the champ as -2,2 and the star -4,2 so if the fade in star is later and actually less than the champ version, it sounds like a touch slower Vulcan to me.

:arrow: Champ Tern = Tourney Sword :?:

Got out to throw my 164 Champ Tern. It's surprising stable with great glide and a late fade, like others have already said...so I have nothing new to add.

It gave me the impression that it was 12/5/-1/2 at 375'-400' of power, even with a mild headwind. Granted, it's pretty much new and I didn't run it through its paces because the course I played didn't call for it.

i agree with disc speed that the stars are a little more hss then the champs. I wish they made a blizzard.

I have not thrown the Star but the Innova disc chart gives the Champ the exact same rating as the Wahoo. No way the Tern turns like the Wahoo. A good bit more HSS. I agree with fightingthetide 12/5/-1/2 which matches the Teedevil rating but I have never thrown that disc.

the star i have doesn't seem to have as much left to right movement as my champs. The star i have just flie really straight and has a late smooth fade. the champs all have this shallow s curve turning and then coming back and fade out quicker. this said I am a 350' guy and i am throw discs in the 160's so my results might be different.

Also so i miss read Disc speed post earlier. But i do agree the star fades late in flight then the champ.

I ordered a Star and a Champ at the same time and the parting line on my pair is identical. My Champ has a slightly higher dome. The two fly very similar for me (about -2/2, definitely not -4/2). I feel like a get a better pull on the Star because of the grip.

Latest posts